Search

JAL 787-9 vs 777-300 ER

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Starwood
JAL 787-9 vs 777-300 ER

Hi All,

I am traveling to Japan for the first time and have two options for my return flight:

KIX-LAX-PHL on JAL 787-9 Biz (9 hr layover) Sky Suite III 1-2-1

or

HND-SFO-PHL on JAL 777-300 Biz (10 hr layover) APEX Suite 2-3-2

I've watched videos and the new Sky Suite looks kind of tight. Not as great of service on the KIX route? Any experience from flyers here one way or the other would be really appreciated. Traveling as a couple.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The 77W very clearly has the better seat. And also better for couples than the SSIII.

Service i don't think is going to make much of a difference.

I would however probably take the one that fit best with my travel plans But of course travel plans can be optimised so that they don't end in Kansai when you have picked a return flight from Haneda. Or vice versa.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The 77W very clearly has the better seat. And also better for couples than the SSIII.

Service i don't think is going to make much of a difference.

I would however probably take the one that fit best with my travel plans But of course travel plans can be optimised so that they don't end in Kansai when you have picked a return flight from Haneda. Or vice versa.
I ended up switching to the 77W. We are spending our 2nd to last night in Kyoto but would prefer to spend our last day in Tokyo vs Osaka anyway. I have no read one positive thing about the SSIII with the 1-2-1 integration.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
apologies for the bump, and the nOOb question!

I have the option of YYZ-LGA (ground transport) JFK-NRT on JAL003 (77W Skysuites) -or- YYZ-BOS-NRT on JAL007 (787-9 Skysuites).

aside from the obvious cab ride to JFK, is there any reason to select one of these options versus the other? The chairs are the same, but is the 787-9 experience much better than the 77W for a long haul flight of basically the same length?
JFK T1 just seems like the eleventh circle of hell to me, although I wouldn't be there very long. BOS has a 4-hour layover, and a terminal change / security re-clear as well. I'm leaning towards BOS, despite my love of 777s and the GE-90 engine.

thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
apologies for the bump, and the nOOb question!

I have the option of YYZ-LGA (ground transport) JFK-NRT on JAL003 (77W Skysuites) -or- YYZ-BOS-NRT on JAL007 (787-9 Skysuites).

aside from the obvious cab ride to JFK, is there any reason to select one of these options versus the other? The chairs are the same, but is the 787-9 experience much better than the 77W for a long haul flight of basically the same length?
JFK T1 just seems like the eleventh circle of hell to me, although I wouldn't be there very long. BOS has a 4-hour layover, and a terminal change / security re-clear as well. I'm leaning towards BOS, despite my love of 777s and the GE-90 engine.

thanks!
There is very little difference in the hard product in the cabin, if any really. I would think the menu are the same. So only real difference is the plane type and the connection

In my humble opinion, I would avoid the airport change as the main priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.