Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F Class - Complimentary Wifi ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Even over Japan, the WiFi was so unstable it’s barely usable. But the 788 flight to HKG has so much better WiFi speed. Not sure if that’s because people aren’t using it or the equipment or location is better.
​​​​​​
Difficult to say. So many effects can be in play. Too many users is a fairly likely one. I can imagine that people(diamond and JGP) are more likely to use their free WiFi code on a TPAC than on a short flight to Hong Kong
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are always outages on inflight WiFi, the further north the route goes, the worse it gets. I would guess south has the same problem, but I never tried. It has to do with the orbits of the satellites.

LAX NRT goes much further north than NRT LAX, giving a higher risk of connection loss to Japan. Though Tokyo to Europe often goes even higher north.

I think they actually block streaming services tbh. But I don't know.
Ya, because they are using geostationary satellite relay service for the in-flight internet. There is advantage and disadvantage. Advantage is more stable at lower latitude, but they have very poor to no connectivity at higher latitude region due to physical constraint. Basically too far from their satellite antenna to be effective. When I took their flight from DFW to NRT, I could only get the internet once near to kuril islands

Originally Posted by JALPak
Either JL blocks YouTube or the speed is so slow that I can’t even load anything. Facebook video didn’t work wither
You might have not read their in-flight wifi agreement. Basically they do mention please don't stream video or any heavy upload/download usage due to the speed and bandwidth limitation

One reason is I don't think they are using any Inmarsat Xpress satellite connection (nor the equipment support yet). So basically the satellite internet speed still around 50kbps to 100kbps (or less than 1Mbps) range.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:52 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dici
You might have not read their in-flight wifi agreement. Basically they do mention please don't stream video or any heavy upload/download usage due to the speed and bandwidth limitation

One reason is I don't think they are using any Inmarsat Xpress satellite connection (nor the equipment support yet). So basically the satellite internet speed still around 50kbps to 100kbps (or less than 1Mbps) range.
You might have not read the entire thread. Basically I was helping someone else to find out the answer of what they actually block in practice.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: Enrich
Oh ya, you are right on this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.