Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

LHR-HND co-pilot arrested for excessive alcohol consumption before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-HND co-pilot arrested for excessive alcohol consumption before flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I see CAs making notes as they serve from the cart during drinks/meal service. Maybe they do note what they’re serving, particularly of “premium” items such as the champagne to know how much is left and not serve it to regular Y pax?

The article above notes the CA had a previous incident in November. Sounds like it was clouding rational decision making.
Most likely there were other unnoticed events on top of these two.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:31 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by JALPak
An ANA Wings pilot tested for a low level of residual alcohol using imprecise testing equipment.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by shonanroger

An ANA Wings pilot tested for a low level of residual alcohol using imprecise testing equipment.
Partially true, but if the equipment is imprecise it may also err on the low side of the actual status.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by shonanroger
An ANA Wings pilot tested for a low level of residual alcohol
The article said he was measured at 0.05 mg/l of alcohol, which is the equivalent of 0.01% BAC as measured in the US. He could be almost 4x that amount and still be legal to operate a commercial passenger aircraft in the US.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:51 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JL will implement post flight breathalyzer test from March because of the CA incident
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Another incident reported.

June 8. The pilot assigned to fly NU21 HND-MMY (737-800), schedule departure 6:40 a.m., took breathalyzer test before the flight and tested positive for alcohol (0.18 mg/mL). Two more subsequent tests were conducted with witness and tests showed 0.18 mg/mL and 0.17 mg/mL of alcohol. Following to the company policy this pilot was removed from the duty. The company could not locate any pilots to take over the flight, likely JL pilot could not simply walk up and fly NU flight, likely had to be NU pilot and NU does not have a pilot base at HND. NU21 (HND-MMY) and NU556 (MMY-OKA) on June 8 were cancelled.

According to this pilot, previous afternoon between 1 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. he consumed 2 medium glasses of beer (500 mL, 16 oz. size glass) and 4合 of Japanese sake (4合=Four Go=720 mL=24 oz.) during a meal. JAL made the statement that they are conducting the investigation on this matter.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jun 12, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Another one...

Sept. 12. 58 years old pilot assigned to fly JL 3087 NRT-NGO (737-800) was removed from a duty because pre-flight breathalyzer test detected 0.1 mg of alcohol in 1L of breath.

JAL company policy indicates no alcohol consumption 12 hrs. within the flight. If I remember correctly due to recent alcohol incidents by pilots and FAs, now JAL has a new company policy prohibit alcohol consumption by pilots and FAs during layover stay. Even 12 hrs. prior to a flight JAL has a policy that alcohol consumption should be limited to 40 g of alcohol per sitting, which translates to about two 500 mL can of beer. 58 years old pilot removed from the duty told the company that previous evening between 5 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. he has consumed 5 lemon sour (mix drink made from shochu, club soda, and lemon) and bout 350 mL of red wine. Although it was 12 hrs. prior to the flight, the amount exceeded 40 g of alcohol per sitting policy of JAL. JAL has made a statement that this pilot's employment with JAL will be terminated.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What time was the flight scheduled to depart? Earlier than 10:30 am? If it was departing from NRT, he probably didn't have a layover. [It also seems odd that a pilot that old is doing domestic 737 trips rather than longhaul and widebody.]

I'm confused by your description of the policy. How is a sitting defined (5 to 10:30 pm would have been before dinner and then during dinner or before dinner and after dinner, I would think)? Also, I can't believe that JAL would be able to say that their pilots cannot ever consume more than 40 grams of alcohol in a sitting, for instance during a vacation.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, I can't believe that JAL would be able to say that their pilots cannot ever consume more than 40 grams of alcohol in a sitting, for instance during a vacation.
I would assume this is prior to the 12 hour window before scheduled duty to prevent consuming so much alcohol that they're still blowing hot even though they (presumably) haven't drunk any amount 12 hours prior.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:30 pm

JAL to receive 2nd business improvement order

Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
JAL to receive 2nd business improvement order

https://youtu.be/K4Fj-ThyP3Q
I hope it is not all Japanese form and formality, and little to no content or action.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I hope it is not all Japanese form and formality, and little to no content or action.
There was another incident back in April being reported now, that didn't show up in this thread.

That there is a continuing problem after the publicity of these incidents have received seems to suggest either ineffective management control or individual pilots aren't taking it seriously. Is JCAB suspending/revoking pilot license on these failures?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.