Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

FA removed from flight duty due to drinking during a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA removed from flight duty due to drinking during a flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
True, but the drain might have been blocked. It's not uncommon to see a FA dumping a coffee pot or a bottle of wine in the forward cabin lavatory before landing.
i remember seeing an FA, on either CX or JL, dumping all the opened bottles of alcohol into a tank.
eitherways, emptying the can in a lavatory w closed doors is asking for trouble.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
DeepUnderground, Don't make yourself judge, jury and executioner.
He's not. He's just making himself a witness. Do you think he personally fired the FAs?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
What is with the BKK based CAs?

I had to report very bad behaviour from another male BKK based CA on an ANA flight some months ago.

Also, knowing how Japanese companies act, he wont be fired. Will be removed from the post for some months, will have to go through training again. Write some apology letters and maybe get a pay cut.

It is very rare that Japanese companies fire someone...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sodaisei
What is with the BKK based CAs?

I had to report very bad behaviour from another male BKK based CA on an ANA flight some months ago.

Also, knowing how Japanese companies act, he wont be fired. Will be removed from the post for some months, will have to go through training again. Write some apology letters and maybe get a pay cut.

It is very rare that Japanese companies fire someone...
If the employees are seishain, then yes Japanese companies are not very quick to terminate employment for any reason. But I would doubt very much that BKK based crew are seishain, and then the outcome may be very different.

I think it does need disciplinary action, but if the includes letting the staff member go I don't have the facts to judge.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
He's not. He's just making himself a witness. Do you think he personally fired the FAs?
Proactively reporting what he thought he saw is more than "making himself a witness."
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
JAL has identified the FA and inquired about what the passenger has observed. The FA did admit drinking beer during the flight on May 22.
The Japanese have a commendable sense of honor.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
I'd expect an FA to be able to follow instructions from the captain and communicate instructions to passengers in an emergency. I don't expect them to provide medical assistance beyond basic first aid. Regardless, it's indisputable that being drunk is only a hindrance to the performance of one's duties. An unlike being tired or sick, being drunk is entirely within his control.
I can multiply two-digit and even three-digit numbers in my head while drunk. It used to be my party trick. Don't be so quick to assume that a beer or two somehow makes this FA unable to perform his tasks.

Historically, soldiers often drank before entering battle. There is also evidence that a certain amount of intoxication creates "flow" for physical tasks (dancing, driving etc) and it is entirely possible that by relaxing the FA, his performance was improved.

Regardless, the key issue is that "snitching" is inappropriate.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
I can multiply two-digit and even three-digit numbers in my head while drunk. It used to be my party trick. Don't be so quick to assume that a beer or two somehow makes this FA unable to perform his tasks.

Historically, soldiers often drank before entering battle. There is also evidence that a certain amount of intoxication creates "flow" for physical tasks (dancing, driving etc) and it is entirely possible that by relaxing the FA, his performance was improved.

Regardless, the key issue is that "snitching" is inappropriate.
Sorry, this post is total rubbish. FAs' primary function is safety at the end of the day, therefore there's a rule that they shouldn't drink for a reason. It's neither here nor there that you are able to do multiplication in your head when drunk (not that that's particularly difficult), it certainly doesn't mean that i) this FA will also be able to do so or ii) that your reaction time and general awareness isn't materially impaired in other ways that you apparently appear unaware of (perhaps consider this next time as it sounds like you are also probably inclined to drink and drive from the attitude your post evinces).

What soldiers used to do to encourage bravery (before the advent of modern technology requiring a greater degree of concentration) is also totally irrelevant.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
One beer would be unlikely to impair the FA's judgment or abilities. What we don't know is if there were additional beers consumed before or after, or whether the FA downed a few mini-bottles as well. Heading for a lav with a visible beer in hand might itself be a sign of impaired judgment, and/or a serious alcohol problem. OTOH, beer is a fairly inefficient way to feed an alcohol addiction. I probably wouldn't have reported it unless I saw either visible impairment or additional consumption, but I can understand the concern - the blatant behavior might well be indicative of a more serious issue.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
I think that the OP did the right thing. Not "snitching" is grade school lore.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:57 am

What would you do if you're headed into surgery and the surgeon has a can of beer?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Good possibility the FA had a drinking problem if they couldn't stand going that long without a drink. If that is the case, I hope this situation is a wake up call and they get help. If they just made a bad decision then I hope they learn from it and move on and use better judgement in the future. The airline obviously takes this seriously and that is good as I do think it is important for them to ensure the crews are as coherent and capable as possible while they have so many in their care. I feel a responsibility to do the same when I have people in my care.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
The use of alcohol by a flight attendant for those operations covered by the US Federal Aviation Regulations is covered in Part 120, 120.37. Try this link:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...se14.3.120_137

It is worth reading so that, perhaps, this discussion can be informed by some semblance of facts.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
I think that the OP did the right thing. Not "snitching" is grade school lore.
Wrong. There are particular codes of unwritten conduct. One of them is not snitching. Telling on others is petty. We have entire surveillance/authority systems designed to do it.

This doesn't mean you don't answer questions from the police - we're not talking about omerta.

If you were working in a fast food restaurant, and saw one of your coworkers sneaking a free burger, would you tell your boss?
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:59 pm

Alcohol Consumption and Cognitive Performance in the Framingham Heart Study, Penelope K. Elias Merrill F. Elias Ralph B. D'Agostino Halit Silbershatz Philip A. Wolf, American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 150, Issue 6, 15 September 1999, Pages 580–589, https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a010056

"Women who drank moderately (2–4 drinks/day) showed superior performance in many cognitive domains relative to abstainers. For men, Superior performance was found within the range of 4–8 drinks/day"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.