Wiki Posts
Search

JAL disability services, AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:13 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by duceno1
They said they could not. That someone would contact me within 72 hrs of the flight.
That sucks! You would assume as a JV partner things should work out much more smoothly. The Japan website uses a different backend than the global one. So if you somehow can magically pull up your reservation on the global site, then you may be able to make changes to your seat assignment.

I just tried with my JTB booking, the Japanese site displayed the same message as you saw. But I was able to make seat changes on the global site.

I think you should be fine though. With the priority guest info put in, JAL should take special care of you. Did they also note that you need to have an aisle seat too? There are quite a few seats that are blocked for OLCI and airport assignment. Airport staff should notice the special request and assign you the seat you need. So there should be aisle seat saved for you. Worst case, you can try to request them to reassign someone if all aisle seats are taken.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:07 pm

As someone with first hand experience of JL's assistance service in NRT (on numerous occasions), I can say without hesitation that their service is top-notch, if not the very best in the world. In contrast, the service at LHR is near the bottom rung.

Unfortunately, I also have experience of JL & AA washing their hands off issues such as seat assignments when it comes to code share flights.

The best advice I can give you is to reach out to a JL supervisor or manager who can manually enter notes into your record. The usual call centre agents seem to be quite restricted in this regard.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've traveled extensively in Asia with a friend who's a T8 paraplegic. Communicating one's needs and wishes to Asian airlines can be a huge challenge, which is a surprise to able-bodied FTers who fawn over the greatness of these carriers. I think it boils down to a much more paternalistic view of disability in countries like Japan, and perhaps a more limited number of disabled travelers. That said, all usually ends well, but you can stack the deck in your favor: be proactive and firm. I have wasted hours of my life talking to phone agents with JL, KE, CX, etc with specific requests, only to either be told it's impossible or to later find upon boarding that instead of a bulkhead near the boarding door, we had been assigned seats on the upper deck (=stairs). At least for US-originating and -bound flights, these airlines are bound by the Air Carrier Access Act, which outlines your rights, including reservation of seats with easier access (e.g., bulkhead or moveable armrest). This can all be sorted out at the airport if necessary, but if I had been given the runaround you just experienced with JL/AA, I would call JL again and request that the operator put you through to the Complaint Resolution Officer (CRO), who is required by law to be on hand at all times, will be familiar with regulations, and will be empowered to do what's necessary.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I will try to reach out to them this week, an hopefully get some more definitive answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.