Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-NRT in F April '17

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Yup!

It's official HND-JFK is coming and no more F on SYD

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...an-fy2017.html
I have had a nagging feeling that might be the plan. I should have trusted that rather than the DFW rumours.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:36 am
THR

Anyone have any idea what the process is for downgrading aircraft? Will they automatically adjust the ticket to J, for example?

I note that when I log in, it still has me as first class on the itinerary.

Now to research the SS9 seat.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:37 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by THR
Right... so the writing is on the wall (and has been for a while) on F from SYD.

I wonder if we'll get automatically re-located to J.
See I've told you to wait
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...l#post26941176
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by THR
Anyone have any idea what the process is for downgrading aircraft? Will they automatically adjust the ticket to J, for example?

I note that when I log in, it still has me as first class on the itinerary.

Now to research the SS9 seat.
EK is the one responsible for contacting you. You will need to check their redemption rules on how this is handled.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:43 am
THR

See I've told you to wait
Yep, took a risk and it didn't pay off. It would have been my once in a lifetime chance for JAL F, so a worthwhile risk in my view. I'll contact EK at some stage to see what the process is (I assume given JAL are only changing within their system now, it won't be immediately known).

Thanks for your input
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by THR
Yep, took a risk and it didn't pay off. It would have been my once in a lifetime chance for JAL F, so a worthwhile risk in my view. I'll contact EK at some stage to see what the process is (I assume given JAL are only changing within their system now, it won't be immediately known).

Thanks for your input
You never know, JL could provide F service on SYD route again if JFK does not have enough premium traffic. But unlikely to happen before you travel unless President Trump helps you out by destroying our economy in the first few months of his presidency
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:54 am
THR

You never know, JL could provide F service on SYD route again if JFK does not have enough premium traffic. But unlikely to happen before you travel unless President Trump helps you out by destroying our economy in the first few months of his presidency
Looks like no J available now for my dates of travel
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by THR
Looks like no J available now for my dates of travel
I wouldn't worry about it. JL should protect you for this. But explore your options before accepting this downgrade. Read the Conditions of Carriage and EK redemption T&C.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by THR
I'll contact EK at some stage to see what the process is (I assume given JAL are only changing within their system now, it won't be immediately known).
Hi THR,
Was wondering if you have contacted EK and what they've told you about the process? I'm in the same situation and was booked in F but now in J. I used CX to book. I sent them an email and they came back and said there will be no refund of points. The only thing they will do is allow a reschedule without paying a fee. Not much use if all flights have no F and I can't travel before the change haha
Couldn't find anything in their terms regarding this either.
I had no idea this would happen until last week when I stumbled upon this and other threads talking about it so I guess my lesson learnt from all of this is to do a lot more research before booking! Points down the drain...
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:55 pm
THR

I haven't had a satisfactory response from EK yet - they mentioned they I needed to put it in writing as they couldn't address it over the phone.

They mentioned it might need to be cancelled and refunded and then booked again (which is somewhat problematic, as the dates I am booked for are showing as waitlisting now; I am not sure if our seats would go back in the pool).

I cannot find anything in their terms and conditions that covers this scenario (neither on their website, nor in any documentation they provided me upon booking).

But I don't think it's acceptable to not refund points difference and I will continue to push for that.

I'll let you know how I go.

Also: I did take a (poorly) calculated risk as I was originally booked in J, and used the points to upgrade to F (I actually bought the additional points, so even more poorly calculated). I knew of the potential downgrade (thank you to the informed folk on this forum), but took the risk anyway. I don't mind so much if I get the points difference back, because it is equivalent to another J fare (which I will have effectively paid for), but I will be annoyed if I don't get a points refund at all.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:41 pm
THR

Brief update: EK have escalated to head office (Dubai) see if they can refund points without re-ticketing.

If they have to re-ticket (cancel and re-issue), it's an issue at the moment as there are no seats available on the days I am travelling (1 on one day and waitlist on the other); so presumably would need to await availability, unless they can coerce JAL to temporarily release before mine is cancelled.

Anyhow, spoke to a lovely person who mentioned she will follow through and call me tomorrow with the outcome.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by JJFiFi
Hi THR,
Was wondering if you have contacted EK and what they've told you about the process? I'm in the same situation and was booked in F but now in J. I used CX to book. I sent them an email and they came back and said there will be no refund of points. The only thing they will do is allow a reschedule without paying a fee. Not much use if all flights have no F and I can't travel before the change haha
Couldn't find anything in their terms regarding this either.
I had no idea this would happen until last week when I stumbled upon this and other threads talking about it so I guess my lesson learnt from all of this is to do a lot more research before booking! Points down the drain...
You should check on the CX board as this is an AM redemption. But I assume a free refund of the entire ticket will always be an option in this case as long as your journey hasn't started yet.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by THR
Brief update: EK have escalated to head office (Dubai) see if they can refund points without re-ticketing.

If they have to re-ticket (cancel and re-issue), it's an issue at the moment as there are no seats available on the days I am travelling (1 on one day and waitlist on the other); so presumably would need to await availability, unless they can coerce JAL to temporarily release before mine is cancelled.

Anyhow, spoke to a lovely person who mentioned she will follow through and call me tomorrow with the outcome.
You should check (and discuss) on EK board. This can't be the first time this has happened to someone on EK redemption.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:26 pm

I will be travelling from Europe to Sydney and only NRT - SYD was downgraded. The ticket is AA award. Since AA mixed class booking costs the same amount of miles, I cannot claim anything from AA. EC261 probably doesn't do anything either since it would be 75% of the cost (which was AA miles). Wonder if JAL normally offer any compensation? I will try to contact them soon.

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Fishy
I will be travelling from Europe to Sydney and only NRT - SYD was downgraded. The ticket is AA award. Since AA mixed class booking costs the same amount of miles, I cannot claim anything from AA. EC261 probably doesn't do anything either since it would be 75% of the cost (which was AA miles). Wonder if JAL normally offer any compensation? I will try to contact them soon.

Thanks.
This is an AA redemption and downgrade happened in advance. AA will be the one handling compensation not JAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.