FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Booking flight online originating from China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1752890-booking-flight-online-originating-china.html)

dickie98 Mar 14, 2016 9:21 am

Booking flight online originating from China

Took my first JAL flights recently - to LAX in F and then from LAX to NRT in Premium Economy. Completely loved the experience, much better than CX, in my opinion.

I am in the process of planning my 5 year tax break in September and want to book a flight originating from China to the US but I can't seem to find that functionality online. It appears the main page only provides searches of the schedule but no ability to book online. Am I missing something obvious here or do I actually need to call into a service center / travel agent to book flights originating from China?

Wingnut Oct 7, 2018 6:28 am

*bump*

I'm trying to do the same thing. To book a flight on the JAL website you need to be on the website of the originating country. But the JAL's China website offers no booking functionality. Why is this? Is there any way to book direct or must I use an agent?

JALPak Oct 7, 2018 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wingnut (Post 30287921)
*bump*

I'm trying to do the same thing. To book a flight on the JAL website you need to be on the website of the originating country. But the JAL's China website offers no booking functionality. Why is this? Is there any way to book direct or must I use an agent?

I just tried this on my iPhone and could make a dummy booking on the China region website.

doglynx Oct 7, 2018 4:23 pm

Japanese/Chinese version of the china site works
If you want to use English version, go to Taiwan's website and you still can book all east asia departures
Or you can simply use google flights and use the link from there to go to JAL's site

kaka Oct 7, 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by doglynx (Post 30289629)
If you want to use English version, go to Taiwan's website and you still can book all east asia departures
Or you can simply use google flights and use the link from there to go to JAL's site

thats a shame.
consider flying skytrax's 5 star airline hainan!

JALPak Oct 8, 2018 2:13 am

Originally Posted by doglynx (Post 30289629)

But there may be foreign transaction fees if you book on non mainland china regional site, assuming OP holds a RMB credit card.

Wasabi Tofu Oct 8, 2018 2:19 am

Slightly off topic.
IMHO, probably, every JAL's country site uses its country's own POS. So, seat availabilty for same booking class is different from TA in your country of residence.

I confirmed/experienced POS issue at JAL's France site.
For example, CDG-HND X class was 0 availability for a certain day at JAL France site.
But when I checked availability at a TA site in Japan, or ExepertFlyer with Japan POS, you can find X class availability.

I called and asked JAL reservation representative, she confirmed seat availability depends on POS, and JAL France site uses a different POS from JAPAN.

CPH-Flyer Oct 8, 2018 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu (Post 30290712)
Slightly off topic.
IMHO, probably, every JAL's country site uses its country's own POS. So, seat availabilty for same booking class is different from TA in your country of residence.

I confirmed/experienced POS issue at JAL's France site.
For example, CDG-HND X class was 0 availability for a certain day at JAL France site.
But when I checked availability at a TA site in Japan, or ExepertFlyer with Japan POS, you can find X class availability.

I called and asked JAL reservation representative, she confirmed seat availability depends on POS, and JAL France site uses a different POS from JAPAN.

Which is probably because JAL can charge a higher price for that X class in connection with a HND-CDG-HND booking than they can for a CDG-HND-CDG booking
​​​​​

Wasabi Tofu Oct 8, 2018 7:24 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30290868)
Which is probably because JAL can charge a higher price for that X class in connection with a HND-CDG-HND booking than they can for a CDG-HND-CDG booking
​​​​​

Probably, so.
But, in this case, we can purchase CDG-HND-CDG X class (same price in France) at TA in Japan, or JAL in Japan, even JAL France site doesn't have X class availability.
So, restricting X class in French POS assumes not so many people in France are calling Japan for ticketing :-)

Then, back to topic.
When you couldn't find availability in JL site in China, still you may try TA, or JAL in your own country.

doglynx Oct 8, 2018 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 30290704)
But there may be foreign transaction fees if you book on non mainland china regional site, assuming OP holds a RMB credit card.

then use google flights and it will guide you directly to the itinerary page of the china site
or try to find the trip from AA? call any of AA's reservation center outside US and you can avoid the $25-35 ticketing fee