Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Booking flight online originating from China

Old Mar 14, 16, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum

Took my first JAL flights recently - to LAX in F and then from LAX to NRT in Premium Economy. Completely loved the experience, much better than CX, in my opinion.

I am in the process of planning my 5 year tax break in September and want to book a flight originating from China to the US but I can't seem to find that functionality online. It appears the main page only provides searches of the schedule but no ability to book online. Am I missing something obvious here or do I actually need to call into a service center / travel agent to book flights originating from China?
Old Oct 7, 18, 7:28 am

*bump*

I'm trying to do the same thing. To book a flight on the JAL website you need to be on the website of the originating country. But the JAL's China website offers no booking functionality. Why is this? Is there any way to book direct or must I use an agent?
Old Oct 7, 18, 1:08 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
*bump*

I'm trying to do the same thing. To book a flight on the JAL website you need to be on the website of the originating country. But the JAL's China website offers no booking functionality. Why is this? Is there any way to book direct or must I use an agent?
I just tried this on my iPhone and could make a dummy booking on the China region website.
Old Oct 7, 18, 5:23 pm

Japanese/Chinese version of the china site works
If you want to use English version, go to Taiwan's website and you still can book all east asia departures
Or you can simply use google flights and use the link from there to go to JAL's site
Old Oct 7, 18, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by doglynx View Post
If you want to use English version, go to Taiwan's website and you still can book all east asia departures
Or you can simply use google flights and use the link from there to go to JAL's site
thats a shame.
consider flying skytrax's 5 star airline hainan!
Old Oct 8, 18, 3:13 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by doglynx View Post
But there may be foreign transaction fees if you book on non mainland china regional site, assuming OP holds a RMB credit card.
Old Oct 8, 18, 3:19 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Slightly off topic.
IMHO, probably, every JAL's country site uses its country's own POS. So, seat availabilty for same booking class is different from TA in your country of residence.

I confirmed/experienced POS issue at JAL's France site.
For example, CDG-HND X class was 0 availability for a certain day at JAL France site.
But when I checked availability at a TA site in Japan, or ExepertFlyer with Japan POS, you can find X class availability.

I called and asked JAL reservation representative, she confirmed seat availability depends on POS, and JAL France site uses a different POS from JAPAN.
Old Oct 8, 18, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
Slightly off topic.
IMHO, probably, every JAL's country site uses its country's own POS. So, seat availabilty for same booking class is different from TA in your country of residence.

I confirmed/experienced POS issue at JAL's France site.
For example, CDG-HND X class was 0 availability for a certain day at JAL France site.
But when I checked availability at a TA site in Japan, or ExepertFlyer with Japan POS, you can find X class availability.

I called and asked JAL reservation representative, she confirmed seat availability depends on POS, and JAL France site uses a different POS from JAPAN.
Which is probably because JAL can charge a higher price for that X class in connection with a HND-CDG-HND booking than they can for a CDG-HND-CDG booking
​​​​​
Old Oct 8, 18, 8:24 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Which is probably because JAL can charge a higher price for that X class in connection with a HND-CDG-HND booking than they can for a CDG-HND-CDG booking
​​​​​
Probably, so.
But, in this case, we can purchase CDG-HND-CDG X class (same price in France) at TA in Japan, or JAL in Japan, even JAL France site doesn't have X class availability.
So, restricting X class in French POS assumes not so many people in France are calling Japan for ticketing :-)

Then, back to topic.
When you couldn't find availability in JL site in China, still you may try TA, or JAL in your own country.
Old Oct 8, 18, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
But there may be foreign transaction fees if you book on non mainland china regional site, assuming OP holds a RMB credit card.
then use google flights and it will guide you directly to the itinerary page of the china site
or try to find the trip from AA? call any of AA's reservation center outside US and you can avoid the $25-35 ticketing fee

Search this Thread
Search Engine: