Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden city booking on JAL?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Hidden city booking on JAL?

Has anyone flown from the US to Tokyo on JAL doing a hidden city booking? I found a much cheaper one way ticket in PE from JFK-NRT-HKG than just the JFK-NRT. I am booking using Alaska points on the way back for JAL first so both flights will be on one way tickets. Any issues anyone has experienced? Slightly worried since it is the same airline.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
There will be posts telling you such is against ticket rule....

On practical side, for JFK-NRT-HKG portion of you trip if you do not have a checked luggage then you can get off at NRT. Just walk to passport control and customs and enter Japan. It is unlikely that an agent at JFK will check bags only to NRT. Likely an agent at JFK will check baggage to HKG only.

If I read right then the return will be NRT-JFK award ticket so don't have to worry about hidden city?

It is international flight so you have to provide your passport number. If you do no show on NRT-HKG then will JAL make a connection with your return reservation by passport number? If then what JAL will do? I do not know...

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Apr 6, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Correct. Return isn't hidden city. I was just slightly worried since both are on JAL. Two separate bookings, but both will be linked to my passport number.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
There will be posts telling you such is against ticket rule....

On practical side, for JFK-NRT-HKG portion of you trip if you do not have a checked luggage then you can get off at NRT. Just walk to passport control and customs and enter Japan. It is unlikely that an agent at JFK will check bags only to NRT. Likely an agent at JFK will check baggage to HKG only.

If I read right then the return will be NRT-JFK award ticket so don't have to worry about hidden city?

It is international flight so you have to provide your passport number. If you do no show on NRT-HKG then will JAL make a connection with your return reservation by passport number? If then what JAL will do? I do not know...
To complicate it slightly more, the first leg would be booked through American (but on JAL) and the second would be booked through Alaska. Of course JAL would still have my passport number, but the bookings themselves would be with partners.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:31 am

Can you involve HND in the ticket on either leg?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

An illness, real or imagined, is a legitimate reason to "interrupt" an itinerary.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:33 pm

Now that you have put it on here, they will be watching on you.
Remember that some (or only one?) of the members here might work for JAL.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If done once in a blue moon, the likelihood of an airline noticing a hidden city ticket is pretty slim. But they are looking so if done more regularly it can and will get caught.

If you go the US airline forums, there are discussions about this and the consequences thereof. If I remember correctly it mostly results in eviction from the frequent flyer program, loss of points and status.
​​​​​​

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 7, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
find and book jfk-hnd/nrt-hkg or jfk-nrt/hnd-hkg and either make the connection the tightest possible (and claim train delay for missing your flight), or make the connection overnight (and claim oversleeping for missing your flight). In short, dont make it blatant that you purposely missed your flight. Of course JAL have no recourse to penalize you, but you never know.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Of course JAL have no recourse to penalize you, but you never know.
And the OP is buying the ticket from AA so even less likely for JAL to go after them.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:47 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Or... Do the hidden city trick on JAL as planned. But use ANA for the return to NYC. Both are great carriers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.