Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No middle name in JAL e-ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Thank you - while they said it might not be an issue at all they weren't able to change it. However, two Avios J seats were still available anyway so I just paid taxes again for the peace of mind.
Find it an odd comment "might not be an issue", sounds a bit like we don't know but will put enough ambiguity in the answer to be in the safe if it does go wrong.

Is your booking domestic or international?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Find it an odd comment "might not be an issue", sounds a bit like we don't know but will put enough ambiguity in the answer to be in the safe if it does go wrong.

Is your booking domestic or international?
Yeah exactly - but I figured I'd rather pay 100 USD for the peace of mind to know that it definitely won't be an issue.

This was for an international J booking ex-Japan, why?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Yeah exactly - but I figured I'd rather pay 100 USD for the peace of mind to know that it definitely won't be an issue.

This was for an international J booking ex-Japan, why?
Domestic might actually be fine, if you did online or kiosk check in, there would little or no ID check.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:37 pm

Hi everyone!

I have the same problem, I am Vietnamsese and my name in passport is: NGUYEN HUU THANG (just an example). However, in Vietnamese culture my 1st name will be THANG and LAST NAME is NGUYEN. middle name is HUU.
When booked online I just fill in my 1st name THANG, last name NGUYEN. I will fly round trip from Chicago to Japan, and from Japan to Vietnam. And as far as I know, JAL will be operated by American Airline at US end.

Could anyone please tell me if I have any problem with my fly? Many thanks.

Last edited by Hieu Tran; Feb 12, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have noticed that Vietnamese passports does not really indicate first and last names, they just have the names listed When I have our corporate travel agent book my tickets for my consultants in Vietnam on JAL, I send them a copy of the passport and they write the name as you indicated first name and last name, skipping middle nsme(s), and there has never been an issue with that.

So you should have no problem.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hieu Tran
Hi everyone!

I have the same problem, I am Vietnamsese and my name in passport is: NGUYEN HUU THANG (just an example). However, in Vietnamese culture my 1st name will be THANG and LAST NAME is NGUYEN. middle name is HUU.
When booked online I just fill in my 1st name THANG, last name NGUYEN. I will fly round trip from Chicago to Japan, and from Japan to Vietnam. And as far as I know, JAL will be operated by American Airline at US end.

Could anyone please tell me if I have any problem with my fly? Many thanks.
When flying to/from the US, the guidance I usually give is to match first/last name with the visa or green card, rather than the passport itself. Generally speaking, US CBP is the most concerned about matching between the name and the travel documentation, and having the secure flight data match your visa/green card is best practice.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
When flying to/from the US, the guidance I usually give is to match first/last name with the visa or green card, rather than the passport itself. Generally speaking, US CBP is the most concerned about matching between the name and the travel documentation, and having the secure flight data match your visa/green card is best practice.
Thank you.
I think the problem with my visa is somehow it had my middle name as my 1st name. So I think I would rather pay $50 to change my name for peace of mind.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:16 am

I have noticed that Vietnamese passports does not really indicate first and last names, they just have the names listed When I have our corporate travel agent book my tickets for my consultants in Vietnam on JAL, I send them a copy of the passport and they write the name as you indicated first name and last name, skipping middle nsme(s), and there has never been an issue with that.

So you should have no problem.
​​​​​​
Thank you.

Just a quick question, so if my full name is NGUYEN HUU THANG, so what should be the last name and 1st name that JAL put in the ticket?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Thank you again.

Here is story, my Vietnamese name do not break down in to last, 1st and middle name, it only will full name and my name is NGUYEN HUU THANG. When I booked fly I filled in my name with 1st name : THANG, last name : NGUYEN

Checked in my visa, I have my Surname: NGUYEN, Given NAME: HUU THANG (included my middle name in the given name).

Do you think there will be any trouble with my ticket?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:08 pm

If your middle name is after you first name, as it should, no problem. Expect nuisance in your case. Better call the airline.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you.

Just a quick question, so if my full name is NGUYEN HUU THANG, so what should be the last name and 1st name that JAL put in the ticket?
NGUYEN and THANG should be the filled in as last name and first name, and all will be fine.

Thank you again.

Here is story, my Vietnamese name do not break down in to last, 1st and middle name, it only will full name and my name is NGUYEN HUU THANG. When I booked fly I filled in my name with 1st name : THANG, last name : NGUYEN

Checked in my visa, I have my Surname: NGUYEN, Given NAME: HUU THANG (included my middle name in the given name).

Do you think there will be any trouble with my ticket?

Many thanks.
I generally don't think so. But if you want to be certain, you should call the airline.

As you say Vietnamese names don't break down to first and last names, the passport just have a name field where all three are listed. Assuming you are flying on a Vietnamese passport that is.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:02 pm

Not exactly related, but on a domestic ticket I put in the wrong passport info. Does it matter? Because it is a domestic flight.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not exactly related, but on a domestic ticket I put in the wrong passport info. Does it matter? Because it is a domestic flight.
​​​​​​No, it does not really matter.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:06 pm

​​​​​​No, it does not really matter.
Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:51 pm

Unless you have a ticket where you need to check-in with an agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.