Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confusion re F Sky Suites

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Confusion re F Sky Suites

I'm sure the answers are out there, but after a good amount of searching and reading here I'm still a bit confused regarding the F Sky Suites. By way of background, my wife and I might fly JL next March from Ho Chi Minh City to San Francisco. I'd appreciate any information and opinions re the following:

1. Am I correct in assuming that all of the JL flights to USA destinations except SFO have the Sky Suites?
2. I believe I understand that the SFO flights are on the 787 and have the old suite styles, though they are due to be updated to Sky Suites by around next March. Is all of that right?
3. If so, and if in fact we were to fly before the suites are updated, how much worse are the old ones compared to the Sky Suites? We wouldn't mind connecting through LAX if it was much of a difference.
4. From the photos and videos I've seen, it looks like one of us could sit on the buddy seat/foot rest so that we could share drinks and meals together in the same Sky Suite. Is that right? (I realize that this is practically a non-issue if we're next to each other in the middle seats, but am curious about if we both end up flying window seats.)
5. How do the service and hard product compare with F in CX and SQ?

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:45 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
There's no F service on 788. Currently the C seats on 788 are JAL SHELL FLAT NEO seats, which are angle flat seats. US destinations with F services are LAX, ORD, and JFK.

SKY SUITE is actually the Business Class seat (and the name of the new interior of the refurbished 777-300ER). The F seat is called New JAL Suite. I assume you are referring to the F seat, yes, you can sit there and share a drink or even meal but it will be a bit crowded given there's limited table space for all the dishes. Or one of you could sit in the ottoman of your own seat so you get your own table and can face each other somehow

For JAL and CX F comparison, there are a number of threads here, on CX, and OW forums. You can search for that to get an idea.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Ah, thanks very much JALPak. I was even more confused than I thought I was!

Just to be clear, then, in F the ORD, LAX and JFK all have the same New JAL Suite, right?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Ah, thanks very much JALPak. I was even more confused than I thought I was!

Just to be clear, then, in F the ORD, LAX and JFK all have the same New JAL Suite, right?
Yes, all 3 have been upgraded. And FYI, JL004/003 to/from JFK are operated by 788, so you don't want to get onto that flight if you want F service. The flight numbers with F service to and from the US are JL005/006/009/010/061/062
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm sure the answers are out there, but after a good amount of searching and reading here I'm still a bit confused regarding the F Sky Suites. By way of background, my wife and I might fly JL next March from Ho Chi Minh City to San Francisco. I'd appreciate any information and opinions re the following:

1. Am I correct in assuming that all of the JL flights to USA destinations except SFO have the Sky Suites?
2. I believe I understand that the SFO flights are on the 787 and have the old suite styles, though they are due to be updated to Sky Suites by around next March. Is all of that right?
3. If so, and if in fact we were to fly before the suites are updated, how much worse are the old ones compared to the Sky Suites? We wouldn't mind connecting through LAX if it was much of a difference.
4. From the photos and videos I've seen, it looks like one of us could sit on the buddy seat/foot rest so that we could share drinks and meals together in the same Sky Suite. Is that right? (I realize that this is practically a non-issue if we're next to each other in the middle seats, but am curious about if we both end up flying window seats.)
5. How do the service and hard product compare with F in CX and SQ?

Thanks for any help!
Just wanted to clear up each issue even though JALPAK has touched on a few points.

1. No. As JALPAK has stated, only LAX, ORD and JFK have Sky Suites (F). Other destinations such as SFO, SAN, and BOS have no F service along with one of the flights to JFK also served by the 787.
2. All new deliveries of the 787 will have new business class seats installed. Also called sky suite but really only a J class product since the 787 has no F class. Not sure when the SFO 787 will be done.
3. Old F is not that different but that's not a concern since all 773 routes to the US have been converted. Old J seats are (in my opinion) horrible compared to the new J seats. Route through LAX if possible.
4. You can definitely dine together using the buddy seat but personally I don't recommend it especially if you are sitting in the middle seats next to each other since the table is in my opinion too small to accommodate service for two. I've tried it only with my kids and that was tight already. Can't imagine it working well with two full meals being served on the table.
5. I'm a bit biased since I am primarily a JL flyer but I have flown all three in the last 2 years and I would say that if you are Japanese, JL service is going to be the best for you. If not, I'd pick CX and SQ over JL. Food is the best on JL. Hard product is similar enough on all three, but I'd say CX, then JL, then SQ. Although I have not had the please of new F on SQ.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks very much, JALPak and Goosh!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
The f seat is not THAT wide to allow sitting side by side. You'll have to sit across on the ottoman. CX is the one that you can do that
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Lets see... Whsts better on CX. Wines (champers are depending on style. I prefer krug to dom/salon). IFE. FA interaction. Refillings. Seat width. Temperature(just need to request in jl f), amenities (aesop on cx; shisedo on jl)
On JL: food, sleep, sake, shochu, slippers

Last edited by kaka; Apr 27, 2014 at 12:12 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Goosh
Just wanted to clear up each issue even though JALPAK has touched on a few points.

1. No. As JALPAK has stated, only LAX, ORD and JFK have Sky Suites (F). Other destinations such as SFO, SAN, and BOS have no F service along with one of the flights to JFK also served by the 787.
2. All new deliveries of the 787 will have new business class seats installed. Also called sky suite but really only a J class product since the 787 has no F class. Not sure when the SFO 787 will be done.
3. Old F is not that different but that's not a concern since all 773 routes to the US have been converted. Old J seats are (in my opinion) horrible compared to the new J seats. Route through LAX if possible.
4. You can definitely dine together using the buddy seat but personally I don't recommend it especially if you are sitting in the middle seats next to each other since the table is in my opinion too small to accommodate service for two. I've tried it only with my kids and that was tight already. Can't imagine it working well with two full meals being served on the table.
5. I'm a bit biased since I am primarily a JL flyer but I have flown all three in the last 2 years and I would say that if you are Japanese, JL service is going to be the best for you. If not, I'd pick CX and SQ over JL. Food is the best on JL. Hard product is similar enough on all three, but I'd say CX, then JL, then SQ. Although I have not had the please of new F on SQ.
Does that mean Japanese get better service than non-Japanese passengers?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by zzzzzz01
No, it meant the service is designed with the Japanese passengers in mind given it is JAL's main customer demographic.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:22 am

I am not Japanese, nor do I speak the language. I've flown twice in JL F in the last year and the service was wonderful both times. Not all the cabin crew will speak English but that's never been a problem. Pointing to caviar and blue tea gets you it for breakfast!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
I would say, sort of. It's not that the FAs would be less attentive or caring, it's that the language barrier can make it seem as though they are not being as friendly or polite by no fault of their own. A language barrier is a language barrier no matter how hard one tries. The FA just won't be able to be as ultra-polite to a non-Japanese speaker even if they wanted to. If you know anything about the Japanese language and how it is used in a customer service setting, you know that the way they speak is ultra-polite (keigo), almost uncomfortably so if you're not used to it. They just can't be that way when they don't have the mastery of the english language or any other language they are trying to use to communicate with non-Japanese speakers.

That being said, you won't even notice if you don't speak Japanese.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I just found 3 F seats for myself and 2 teens (boys) and none of us speak a lick of Japanese

Are the menu's in English? How about the AVOD - do they have many English choices or should I load up the iPads with movies for the kids?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I just found 3 F seats for myself and 2 teens (boys) and none of us speak a lick of Japanese

Are the menu's in English? How about the AVOD - do they have many English choices or should I load up the iPads with movies for the kids?
Of course the menu is available in English as well. Definitely load up with English contents on your iPads
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I got switched from CX F to JL F last year during a typhoon. I do prefer CX, but
JL was fine. I liked their Wagyu quite a bit. No problems ordering food, or anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.