Search

NRT vs HND F Lounge.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
NRT vs HND F Lounge.

Hello,

I am flying BA First from Tokyo to London and have a choice between Haneda or Narita.

I believe BA uses JL F lounges at both airports.

Are they both quite similar in terms of offerings/catering/services? Or is one airport significantly better than the other for the F lounge?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:37 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by duckied
Hello,

I am flying BA First from Tokyo to London and have a choice between Haneda or Narita.

I believe BA uses JL F lounges at both airports.

Are they both quite similar in terms of offerings/catering/services? Or is one airport significantly better than the other for the F lounge?

Thanks in advance.
JAL F lounge at HND doesn't open until 6am so you will be using Sakura Lounge at HND instead given your departure time.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
Thankyou for that JALpak!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:46 pm

HND BA flight simply leaves at an unpleasant and almost impossibly early time.

If your only consideration is the lounge, you'd be crazy to go to HND. Given no real way of getting public transport that early in the morning to HND, the cost between taxi to HND and public transport to NRT will be similar as well. And you can actually get some sleep before the NRT flight.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
HND BA flight simply leaves at an unpleasant and almost impossibly early time.

If your only consideration is the lounge, you'd be crazy to go to HND. Given no real way of getting public transport that early in the morning to HND, the cost between taxi to HND and public transport to NRT will be similar as well. And you can actually get some sleep before the NRT flight.
There are free hotel shuttles to HND from nearby hotels
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
There are free hotel shuttles to HND from nearby hotels
So are you saying that it's a viable and sensible suggestion to go through the hassle of moving hotels for the final night, to very likely a worse quality accommodation, still having to wake up at some ungodly hour in the morning, all because of the difference in lounge (if any exist at all), especially when the F section won't actually be open during the times that the OP is likely to visit?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:20 pm

So are you saying that it's a viable and sensible suggestion to go through the hassle of moving hotels for the final night, to very likely a worse quality accommodation, still having to wake up at some ungodly hour in the morning, all because of the difference in lounge (if any exist at all), especially when the F section won't actually be open during the times that the OP is likely to visit?
It's OP choice not ours. If OP wants to try out the new airport then OP should go for it and we shouldn't be judgmental just because we don't personally agree with OP's choice.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:08 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Apropos, does JL HND F lounge offer massage like the one in NRT?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am a regular at both airports and JL F lounge.

Breakfast offering at HND Sakura Lounge before the BA flight is rather poor, in fact very poor compared to the NRT F lounge, so if the OP wants a 'proper' lounge experience, without a doubt NRT is a better choice.

However I should note that if the OP is into drinking at 0500 then Sakura lounge isn't bad - despite there not being much breakfast food offerings, I recall seeing 12 different bottles of spirits there I can confirm in a few days the quantity of spirits there.

Given no real way of getting public transport that early in the morning to HND, the cost between taxi to HND and public transport to NRT will be similar as well. And you can actually get some sleep before the NRT flight.
Public transport to NRT is actually often cheaper than taxi to HND for BA 8 due to the "late night surcharge" before 5am on taxis, although there are fixed fare taxis from certain Tokyo "ku" (wards).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 22, 2012 at 9:16 pm
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Apropos, does JL HND F lounge offer massage like the one in NRT?
i don't think so
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: QFF
I'm in the HND F lounge now. There are some nice chairs with foot rests, table and power along the front window overlooking the air field. But other then that, I'd say the NRT Sakura lounge is better.
Showers shared by F and Sakura lounge, a couple of massage chairs near the entrance, food offering reminds me of the ICN CX lounge.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:39 am

The biggest factor is probably that JL does not run F ex-HND, so the lounge is really only used by other OW F and Emeralds. If JL did run F ex-HND then the offering would likely be much more impressive.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The biggest factor is probably that JL does not run F ex-HND, so the lounge is really only used by other OW F and Emeralds. If JL did run F ex-HND then the offering would likely be much more impressive.
They now codeshare on BA 008 with F so I am hoping that they will revise the F opening hours and showers, at least. Offerings do not necessarily have to change (I don't remember it being bad) but I do wish they opened earlier.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
They now codeshare on BA 008 with F so I am hoping that they will revise the F opening hours and showers, at least. Offerings do not necessarily have to change (I don't remember it being bad) but I do wish they opened earlier.
don't count on it. AA JFK flight does not affect opening hours, I highly doubt BA's would. They probably won't open the F lounge early as long as JAL does not operate an early morning departure flight before 6am
Old Nov 23, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
I'm in the HND F lounge now. There are some nice chairs with foot rests, table and power along the front window overlooking the air field. But other then that, I'd say the NRT Sakura lounge is better.
Showers shared by F and Sakura lounge, a couple of massage chairs near the entrance, food offering reminds me of the ICN CX lounge.
The chair/cubicle alone is good enough reason for me to choose HND over NRT. Hopefully JAL will add those in the NRT lounges when they update them this fiscal year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.