Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A week on the Amalfi coast in late June - early July

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
And that's what the point of asking was: I don't know where I want to go because I don't know anything about that area of the country. I'm not asking for people to pick a hotel for me, but a name of a town (or three) that has a decent bunch of hotels from which the beach may be accessible (vs. a great beach to which you need to first drive, then climb stairs for half an hour) would be nice.
And what do Piemonte and Tuscany have to do with anything? I don't think we've ever discussed them here...
I'm thinking that Le Marche may not be what you want, if you want to be within 5 hours of Milan, on the beach or within walking distance to the beach, and just pay 150 per night, in Aug. With those restrictions, I'm not even sure that it is Italy that you want. U doubt that you can do that in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Le Marche is as far as you can drive and be almost exactly within 5 hours of Milan, meaning on the road driving, not getting and returning the rental. It is almost precisely 5 hours from Rome. It's as economical as you can get. But 150 to rent a place on the beach, or a few blocks from the beach? Even in Le Marche, I don't think that is very realistic. We've gone from Amalfi Coast to Sardinia, and from July to August on this thread. You might be able to find a place inland, with a pool, but I don't think you can be next to the beach anywhere in Italy in August for 150, even if you are willing to stretch your budget. Your challenge is not what city to go to, but where you can find a place at that price in August.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:56 pm

The two things you said are non-negotiable are self-catering, which is how AirBnb type places are referred to in Italy, and being able to walk to the beach, on a $150 a day budget, in August, if you find such a hotel, let us know.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57
Never been - had a great lunch at Alla Lanterna in Fano - which is one town down the coast. I've spent more time between Ancona and Ascoli Piceno. Pesaro is the second most populous city in March (Ancona is a little larger). Your original post says you want quieter and, if so, I'd avoid the bigger cities.

I know you've stated that you'd rather a hotel and to keep cost/night < €150 -points won't do you any good in Le Marche - I can't think of a single chain hotel in the region. I'd seriously recommend you at least look at AirBnb's and be willing to drive at least a little to get to a beach. There's some stellar options in Marche. I stayed in a medieval hilltop town last summer and had a remodeled, two bedroom apartment, built into the side of the wall of the town with a gorgeous terrace for €60 a night. The hosts were really great people (we made friends and email regularly now). It's not seaside but probably a 30 minute drive to the beach. You can find a lot via AirBnb and VRBO (which is a little more prevalent in Italy although I personally prefer Airbnb as it's much easier to zero in on a good choice with them).
Yeah, unfortunately going non-beachside isn't really an option. I'm not really counting on quiet at this point, given we're going in high season. There are a few such hotels in Pesaro under $100, but I can't help wondering what the catch is. There's also Porto San Giorgio which has a decent Best Western...any opinion on that?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
We've gone from Amalfi Coast to Sardinia, and from July to August on this thread.
So we did. What's your point? I discovered that the Amalfi Coast was not a realistic proposition and decided to look at other options, influenced, in no small part, by what I read here. Do you feel like you've wasted your time? I'm sorry if that's the case. The only reason we ended up in Marche, btw, is because someone suggested it here and I decided to explore it.
The two things you said are non-negotiable are self-catering, which is how AirBnb type places are referred to in Italy, and being able to walk to the beach, on a $150 a day budget, in August, if you find such a hotel, let us know.
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Feel free to pick them apart. That's kind of what I'm here for.

Last edited by highlanderfil; Feb 24, 2018 at 3:12 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

You guys might kill me, but at least this time I've got tickets in hand and am bound by them

We discovered that flying into/out of Milan for our transatlantic flights is no longer an option and ended up using Delta miles to make FCO our departure airport. Given we will be spending the first three days of the trip in Milan, then in Turin, we have shifted focus, finally and firmly, to finding something on the stretch of coast between 5Terre and FCO. Doesn't matter how close or far from either - we have baked in a full two days for travel into either side of our five days on the beach. We are also not as bound by the $150 hotel budget anymore, having used the miles for our flights.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

So we did. What's your point? I discovered that the Amalfi Coast was not a realistic proposition and decided to look at other options, influence, in no small part, by what I read here. Do you feel like you've wasted your time? I'm sorry if that's the case. The only reason we ended up in Marche, btw, is because someone suggested it here and I decided to explore it.

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Feel free to pick them apart. That's kind of what I'm here for.
You were given wise advise to find a more economical location in Italy by JMN57, instead of where every other tourist is going, Tuscany. Le Marche is as economical as it gets, outside of Sicily.

There is something called Riduzione Orario di Lavoro. This means that by statute, you must go on vacation, and you must get paid for it. Vacation is 20 days, plus 12 public holidays. Weekends don't count because you are off anyway, so that means that you must take a month off. There are contractual ways around this, but for the most part, millions of Italians are lounging at the beach in August. There are no $58 dollar (50 euro) hotels beachside, anywhere. Whatever website you are using, you will find that it is not bookable, is sold out, or they show a picture of a woman in a bikini on an isolated beach, and say that the hotel is near the beach, but it is a mile away. Or, there is actually a beach nearby, with wall-to-wall umbrellas, like the picture of Salerno. Even in Le Marche, it is hard to imaging a $150 per day hotel, beachside, in August, on the beach.You will be packed umbrella to umbrella like the picture of Salerno, and have to pay for the umbrella and spot on the beach. Beaches where you are just lying on a blanket in the sand are a little difficult to come by in Italy, except for some pretty exclusive places. It is not the Caribbean, and you will have to pay, or adjust expectations.

Last edited by Perche; Feb 24, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

You were given wise advise to find a more economical location in Italy by JMN57, instead of where every other tourist is going, Tuscany.
Correct. But why even bring Tuscany into it when I never asked for advice on Tuscany in the first place? We started with Amalfi (which, to the best of my knowledge is NOT Tuscany) and moved down (into Calabria, Sardegna, etc), not up.
Le Marche is as economical as it gets, outside of Sicily.
And we will keep it in mind for next time.
There are no $58 dollar (50 euro) hotels beachside, anywhere.
Not to be rude, but you're getting on my nerves, because you are being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative at this point. What I'm asking for is not nearly so complicated as to necessitate the tone of voice you seem to think is appropriate. I changed my mind on geographical location. Big f'n deal. Would you rather I had opened an entirely new thread for that? And then a third one now that we've shifted focus again? People are allowed to change plans, you know.

At no point in time did I ask for a fifty-euro hotel. I'm not an idiot. So you're either mis-stating the number by mistake (which I don't believe, as you've gone through the trouble of multiplying 50 by the going rate of the Euro to land at $58) or on purpose and I'm really not sure what that purpose is other than ridicule (and I don't believe it's a good look for anyone, much less a moderator, to be doing that when someone is genuinely asking for advice).
Even in Le Marche, it is hard to imaging a $150 per day hotel, beachside, in August, on the beach.
I just showed you five. Not on "some website" - on Hotels.com. They may not be ideal (I have no way of knowing that apart from their ratings on Tripadvisor), but, then again, that's exactly why I'm looking for advice, not giving it. In any event, it's moot now.

Last edited by highlanderfil; Feb 24, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:52 pm

Correct. But why even bring Tuscany into it when I never asked for advice on Tuscany in the first place? We started with Amalfi (which, to the best of my knowledge is NOT Tuscany) and moved down (into Calabria, Sardegna, etc), not up. And we will keep it in mind for next time.Not to be rude, but you're getting on my nerves, because you are being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative at this point. What I'm asking for is not nearly so complicated as to necessitate the tone of voice you seem to think is appropriate. I changed my mind on geographical location. Big f'n deal. Would you rather I had opened an entirely new thread for that? And then a third one now that we've shifted focus again? People are allowed to change plans, you know.

At no point in time did I ask for a fifty-euro hotel. I'm not an idiot. So you're either mis-stating the number by mistake (which I don't believe, as you've gone through the trouble of multiplying 50 by the going rate of the Euro to land at $58) or on purpose and I'm really not sure what that purpose is other than ridicule (and I don't believe it's a good look for anyone, much less a moderator, to be doing that when someone is genuinely asking for advice).I just showed you five. Not on "some website" - on Hotels.com. They may not be ideal (I have no way of knowing that apart from their ratings on Tripadvisor), but, then again, that's exactly why I'm looking for advice, not giving it. In any event, it's moot now.
OK, my last post on this topic. Hotels.com is a website. You posted links to five hotels and said, "go ahead, pick them apart, that's what I'm here for," or something like that. They are listing hotels for $58, or about 50 euros. It's not possible in August, in Italy, for a property on the beach, regardless of what Hotels.Com, TripAdvisor, or any other website tells you. Even if you go to your budge of $150 a night, or about 120 euros, it is not possible. Something has to give, either your desire not to have to do self-catering such as AirBnb, your desire to be on the beach, or your budget.
BLV likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

OK, my last post on this topic. Hotels.com is a website. You posted links to five hotels and said, "go ahead, pick them apart, that's what I'm here for," or something like that. They are listing hotels for $58, or about 50 euros. It's not possible in August, in Italy, for a property on the beach, regardless of what Hotels.Com, TripAdvisor, or any other website tells you.
Did you actually check them in August?
Even if you go to your budge of $150 a night, or about 120 euros, it is not possible.
Sure about that? OK, since you didn't bother to fact check anything before mounting your your all-knowing high horse, do me a favor and explain how these are not "real" prices.

Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:21 pm

Sorry if it aggravated you, I'm just trying to be helpful. You received great advice from JMN57 to look towards Le Marche, and to get off of the beaten Tuscan summer path. I made a few phone calls, and you just might be able to pull this off. Le Marche costs about 15-20% of what Tuscany costs, and I brought that up as possibly of informational value to others, and Le Marche is just as beautiful. Italy is so overrun by tourism, especially in certain areas, that they are working real hard to disperse people to places other than Venice, Florence, and Rome.

I made a few phone calls on your behalf, and if you don't wait too long, you just might be able to stay about 100 meters from the beach for 500 euros a week in Le Marche. The hotel might be a dump, but it is possible, because Le Marche is that undiscovered.

It would probably cost 700 euros per night in Tuscany, but Le Marche will cost you less than that for a week, and depending on the beach, is going to be better. I cannot vouch for how nice the hotels you checked on are, but I do have a close friend who lives in Ascoli Piceno (which doesn't have a beach). She said it is possible, and she would know. You have to make sure that the hotel isn't undergoing reconstruction (one of the ones on your list is), because you'd be listening to jackhammers starting 7AM each day, but you might be able to pull this off.

Sorry for getting on your nerves, and just want to say that your post is appreciated. You can probably do this, but don't expect much from the hotel. Take into account the time difference, and call them. If it is during the day they can always find someone who can speak English. I would advise you not to rely on travel websites. Go to the website of the hotel you want, and call them and reserve. If you do it during the day somebody will be able to speak English, and you will save money as well.

Oh, and my friend asked, "with or without the breakfast?" I told her without, because otherwise, you would have to add on another 150 euros for the week to eat cereal and cellophane wrapped pastry. Go to a local shop and have a cup of coffee and a brioche for 2 euros, and wait for lunch.

Every place in Italy is known for some regional food specialty. Le Marche spreads from the shoreline to the Appenine Mountains in the middle of Italy, so the food varies a lot, but near the beach they are known for their olives. If you see Olive all'Ascolano on the menu (olives made as in Ascoli), you should order them. And, you should definitely spend a day or two driving around, because this is non-touristy Italy, of mountain towns, and supreme food (and wine). Now, you are making me want to go visit my friend in Ascoli Piceno.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Not that I don't appreciate the gesture, but, like I said before, the point of looking at Le Marche is moot because of this:
You guys might kill me, but at least this time I've got tickets in hand and am bound by them

We discovered that flying into/out of Milan for our transatlantic flights is no longer an option and ended up using Delta miles to make FCO our departure airport. Given we will be spending the first three days of the trip in Milan, then in Turin, we have shifted focus, finally and firmly, to finding something on the stretch of coast between 5Terre and FCO. Doesn't matter how close or far from either - we have baked in a full two days for travel into either side of our five days on the beach. We are also not as bound by the $150 hotel budget anymore, having used the miles for our flights.
We've managed to find a lovely (and tiny) pebble beach in Marina Pisa, rumored to be not too horribly crowded (no parasols in sight). Hotel (that same pebble's throw away from the beach) ended up costing us 618 euro for six nights. Breakfast not included, but I doubt we'll miss it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Just a few notes:
Milan and Turin
Milan and Turin will be quiet in August, with many shops, restaurants and bars closed for the summer break.
Museums are closed on Mondays.
IMO, unless you have particular interests, neither city merits much more than a full day.
If you didn't go last time, go to see Leonardo's 'The Last Supper' in Milan. Book now! The Last Supper, Leonardo Da Vinci, Milan.
Turin is a fabulous city: The National Cinema Museum The National Cinema Museum and Egyptian Museum Museo Egizio - Torino are definitely worth a visit. Stay in the center of town if possible, north of Porta Nuova station and at least 750m east of Porta Susa station.
Both Milan and Turin can get very hot and humid in August, and Turin can be prone to summer storms.

Ligurian, Tuscan and Latium coast
There are 'free' beaches–but these are few and far between, so double check that you have options within walking distance of your hotel. They will be busy in August.
Expect to pay a tourist tax on checking out of your hotel. The current rate for a 2*/3* hotel in the province of Pisa is €1.50 per person per night up to 5 nights; and €2.00 per person for a 4*/5* hotel.
Avoid Leghorn.

The Marches
I realize that this is no longer relevant to your plans, but out of interest:
Porto San Giorgio is a pleasant, if not awe-inspiring resort. (I have spent three family vacations there.) It caters mainly for Italian holidaymakers, although it's not uncommon to see German and Austrian registered vehicles along this stretch of the coast. Like most of the very many resorts along this part of the Adriatic, it has a relatively wide beach and is relatively more tidal than the Tyrrhenian. The Milan - Lecce railway line runs along the coast in the Marches, the Abruzzi and Apulia, so noise is a factor when choosing accommodation. The 'free' beaches get very busy in August.
You certainly don't get the breathtaking sunsets of the Tyrrhenian Sea on this side of the country.
Last summer I spent the best part of a week in Pesaro. It too was very pleasant although not jaw-dropping. I drove to a 'managed' beach between Pesaro and Fano. I didn't notice any 'free' beaches (although they no doubt exist in the area).
Fano, a Roman fort at the end of the via Flaminia is interesting and worth a visit.

Have a great vacation.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
Just a few notes:
Milan and Turin
Milan and Turin will be quiet in August, with many shops, restaurants and bars closed for the summer break.
Museums are closed on Mondays.
IMO, unless you have particular interests, neither city merits much more than a full day.
If you didn't go last time, go to see Leonardo's 'The Last Supper' in Milan. Book now! The Last Supper, Leonardo Da Vinci, Milan.
Turin is a fabulous city: The National Cinema Museum The National Cinema Museum and Egyptian Museum Museo Egizio - Torino are definitely worth a visit. Stay in the center of town if possible, north of Porta Nuova station and at least 750m east of Porta Susa station.
Both Milan and Turin can get very hot and humid in August, and Turin can be prone to summer storms.
Having been to Milan before, I respectfully disagree - it definitely merits more than a day just walking around. Even though I've now been twice, the Duomo square and the cathedral alone are worth a couple of hours. I've formed no such opinion about Turin, though - it's my wife's favorite city in the world and I'm going to reserve judgment until I see it for more than a rainy afternoon in March.

We will be in Milan for one full day upon arrival (we are arriving separately, as my wife will be visiting family in Russia beforehand, but we both get in before noon) and a half-day the next day (the Harry Potter Exhibition serendipitously ended up in Milan of all places this year, so we're definitely going). Staying by the Central Station (7K points at the Four Points, though I might end up switching that to a cash rate eventually, as that's not too great a redemption rate), so we're within walking distance of pretty much everything, including, I hope, our Europcar location. In Turin we're staying at the Holiday Inn in the city center (another questionable-ish redemption value of 60K IHG points/three nights, so we'll see what Accelerate promotion is running by then and might switch some if not all nights to cash) and the National Cinema Museum is on our visit list, as well as the Ferrari Museum.

Ligurian, Tuscan and Latium coast
There are 'free' beaches–but these are few and far between, so double check that you have options within walking distance of your hotel. They will be busy in August.
Expect to pay a tourist tax on checking out of your hotel. The current rate for a 2*/3* hotel in the province of Pisa is €1.50 per person per night up to 5 nights; and €2.00 per person for a 4*/5* hotel.
Avoid Leghorn.
Any opinion on the beach in Marina Pisa specifically? Everything I've read suggests it's a smaller, less inhabited strip of pebble. As for the tax, yeah, little amounts like that don't really shock me anymore and I believe it was actually included in the (non-prepaid, which was important because plans do sometimes fail) Priceline rate.
The Marches
I realize that this is no longer relevant to your plans, but out of interest:
Porto San Giorgio is a pleasant, if not awe-inspiring resort. (I have spent three family vacations there.) It caters mainly for Italian holidaymakers, although it's not uncommon to see German and Austrian registered vehicles along this stretch of the coast. Like most of the very many resorts along this part of the Adriatic, it has a relatively wide beach and is relatively more tidal than the Tyrrhenian. The Milan - Lecce railway line runs along the coast in the Marches, the Abruzzi and Apulia, so noise is a factor when choosing accommodation. The 'free' beaches get very busy in August.
You certainly don't get the breathtaking sunsets of the Tyrrhenian Sea on this side of the country.
Last summer I spent the best part of a week in Pesaro. It too was very pleasant although not jaw-dropping. I drove to a 'managed' beach between Pesaro and Fano. I didn't notice any 'free' beaches (although they no doubt exist in the area).
Fano, a Roman fort at the end of the via Flaminia is interesting and worth a visit.

Have a great vacation.
Good to know - worth keeping in mind for next time we visit. Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:18 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Having been to Milan before, I respectfully disagree - it definitely merits more than a day just walking around. Even though I've now been twice, the Duomo square and the cathedral alone are worth a couple of hours. I've formed no such opinion about Turin, though - it's my wife's favorite city in the world and I'm going to reserve judgment until I see it for more than a rainy afternoon in March.

We will be in Milan for one full day upon arrival (we are arriving separately, as my wife will be visiting family in Russia beforehand, but we both get in before noon) and a half-day the next day (the Harry Potter Exhibition serendipitously ended up in Milan of all places this year, so we're definitely going). Staying by the Central Station (7K points at the Four Points, though I might end up switching that to a cash rate eventually, as that's not too great a redemption rate), so we're within walking distance of pretty much everything, including, I hope, our Europcar location. In Turin we're staying at the Holiday Inn in the city center (another questionable-ish redemption value of 60K IHG points/three nights, so we'll see what Accelerate promotion is running by then and might switch some if not all nights to cash) and the National Cinema Museum is on our visit list, as well as the Ferrari Museum.

Any opinion on the beach in Marina Pisa specifically? Everything I've read suggests it's a smaller, less inhabited strip of pebble. As for the tax, yeah, little amounts like that don't really shock me anymore and I believe it was actually included in the (non-prepaid, which was important because plans do sometimes fail) Priceline rate.
Good to know - worth keeping in mind for next time we visit. Thanks!
Looking forward to your report on your Italian summer holiday and hope you have a great time.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Looking forward to your report on your Italian summer holiday and hope you have a great time.
Cheers. I will definitely come back and report.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.