Reload this Page >

Benvenuti alla Sala Italiana - Welcome to the Italian Room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Benvenuti alla Sala Italiana - Welcome to the Italian Room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:38 am

Welcome and thanks for the wishes. You should have noticed, though, after hanging around for ten years, as you wrote in a different post, that most people contributing to this thread are NOT Italians...
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Welcome and thanks for the wishes. You should have noticed, though, after hanging around for ten years, as you wrote in a different post, that most people contributing to this thread are NOT Italians...
Many of us wish we were though!!
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by sophiesophie
Many of us wish we were though!!
It's why I'm here!
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:07 am
JBD

A Treat for Italophiles

I really enjoyed and heartily recommend watching the new HBO documentary on Gianni Agnelli.

For those with access to HBO it's On Demand until 21 January: Agnelli

Here's a write up on it in the NYT Fabulous Life Lessons From Gianni Agnelli

And a piece in the WSJ for those with a subscription: HBO’s ‘Agnelli’ Highlights Fiat Chairman’s Appetite for Women and Danger
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
This great "Avvocato" really developed Italian industry and economy in the north of the country.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
You will see stores with signs in the window advertising, "sconto," or on sale. My favorite is, "tutto fuori," which is like saying everything must get out, because we are going out of business. I've seen the same tutto fuori sign in the same stores for years. Actually, sales or bargains are regulated in Italy, and so one shouldn't pay attention to signs in the window that are just there to attract tourists. There are only two times of the year when merchants can really put something on a super sale according to a law passed almost 80 years ago.

One of them just begun, so if someone is going to Italy, now is the time to find some true savings of up to 25-50% off. There is the Saldi Estivi, or official Italian Summer sale so that merchants can open shelf space for winter goods, and Saldi Invernale, or Winter Sale, so that merchants can get things out to make time for things they want to sell in the Spring and Summer. Sale times are precisely regulated by each region. Don't go by "for sale signs" in the window during the rest of the year. They are all fake. The Winter sale season began last week, and generally goes for about 50-60 days, depending on the region.

To make sure you are not being scammed the original price, the discounted price, and the percentage decrease in the price must be on the label. For those traveling to Italy between now and late February, this is the time to buy. Italians actually wait for the Sale Season, and plan to buy then. The average Italian saves about 350 euros to spend during the sale seasons. It's a boost for the economy.

The later into the sale season, the more things are picked through so you will have less choice of sizes and the nicest things. For example, on the first day of the sale season, keep your elbows sharp, because people will be in a rush to grab things. This is the time to get your Fendi, Gucci, or Prada purse, or that fine suit you have been wanting, or a bracelet, or even socks.
manstein58 likes this.

Last edited by Perche; Jan 18, 2018 at 12:51 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
And to follow on to Perche's nice message sometimes you have to ask. I will be in Italy in a few weeks and at the shops at MXP I often pick up a scarf. By February there is little evidence that there are still sales, but if you ask they will pull out sale merchandise (last year's scarves) and sell them for the discounted price.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Catching Up on Some Threads ...

Originally Posted by Perche
Gino's, if we are talking about the one near Parlamento, you can never really go wrong there. It won't sweep you off your feet, but the rapport between quality and price is about as high as it gets. That's at least my two cents.
I have tried to go to Da Gino's in the past, but I never seem to be there when it's open! As a result, I have been to Gianna & Poldo's a few times, which I really liked. The owners were very friendly to mrs. iapetus and me. So I will redouble my efforts to dine at Da Gino's when I return in February. It'll have to be for dinner, as the only day that I'm typically in that part of town during lunchtime is Sunday ... and, as you know, Perche, they're closed on Sunday.

I'm compiling a list of restaurants and bars for my colleagues when we're there for a meeting in March. So I'd like to add Da Gino's having experienced it myself. I'm glad you mentioned it!

And I'll be sure to look for sales next month ... even if the stores will have been fairly well picked over.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Cannabis Store in Venice

Last Saturday the first store to sell pot opened on Strada Nuova. It is legal, but it only took two days for the police to seize the place for, "reasons of hygiene." Marijuana is illegal in Italy, although some "medical use" is allowed. The reason why this store was legal is that if the amount of tetrahydrocannabinol is very, very low (the part that gets you high), then it is legal. This store named Cannabis Amsterdam sold pot that was to weak to get anyone high. It was more of a novelty, but it sure was packed while it was opened, almost exclusive by tourists who didn't know any better and thought it was regular marijuana that will make you high. The owner is protesting.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
So I will redouble my efforts to dine at Da Gino's when I return in February.
Just a point for anyone looking to eat at da Gino's: they are a cash-only joint (well, so says their business card). I didn't manage to actually get a table, but I will try again next month.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:15 am

Just a point for anyone looking to eat at da Gino's: they are a cash-only joint (well, so says their business card). I didn't manage to actually get a table, but I will try again next month.
Since 2013 (or is it 2014?), an Italian law makes it mandatory for all businesses to accept both credit and debit cards for payment, irrspective of the sum.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
Since 2013 (or is it 2014?), an Italian law makes it mandatory for all businesses to accept both credit and debit cards for payment, irrspective of the sum.
Looks like they need new business cards.

Y'know, it did strike me as a little odd ... I guess it's 'cause I haven't seen places here requiring cash IIRC.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Apparently the law dates from 2014, and if they can't take your card you can leave without paying (though I believe you still owe the price of the meal): SE IL RISTORANTE NON HA IL POS - Il Sole 24 ORE
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
That is correct. The rabbit is great as is the Amatriciana
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

For those who may be interested in Italian music, the San Remo Festival is going on right now. It's a big annual festival in Liguria. Many of the most famous Italian artists, from Bocelli to Mina, were discovered there (Mina is the main female Italian singer all town, sort of the Italian equivalent of Streisand, or Diana Ross.). Songs live O Sole Mia, and Volare were discovered there. In honor of The Festivals contribution to music, RAI (main TV and radio station) Just put the top 2,000 Italian songs online, for free to listen to. It goes from the year 1900 to 2000. They are arranged by time, going back to Caruso, or by theme, music for movies, region, songs in dialect, and in other categories, such as Italian music around the world. This is really a treasure, for those inclined. The website is here. Canzone Italiana

To see Nel Blu Dipinto di Blu (Volare) being sung after it won in San Remo, too over Italy's heart, and then the USA, go here.
FT'rs should know that this song is really about taking a plane trip, more or less. Volare means to fly.

An example of Mina is here.
"A Year of Love." To understand it, you need to be very familiar with the future tense, but it's just plain nice to listen to.

If you listen to Italian music around the world, you will be able to see that Dusty Springfield's, "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," is an Italian song she had translated. Elvis Presley's, "It's Now or Never," is based on the song, O Sole Mio.

The website is designed to be an invaluable Italian archive of music.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.