Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:37 am

@PWMTrav & @Perche - Thanks so much! Really great info esp. about the touristy madness around the Inn at Forum. We'll take a final closer look at Hotel Raphael and Indigo, but it sounds like we can't go really wrong with either decision. Thanks again!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The Indigo is the former Hotel St. George. ...The biggest change to me is that the decor is now much more modern.
Was considering this hotel - until I saw the overwhelming, and even creepy, artwork that is in the rooms, covering whole walls over beds and in bathrooms.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by muji
Was considering this hotel - until I saw the overwhelming, and even creepy, artwork that is in the rooms, covering whole walls over beds and in bathrooms.
They went a little nuts in some regards, definitely.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
That's a great way of putting it. It's not so much the homogeneity of a chain, as it certainly won't look like the one in East Pittsburgh, but all of the members of the chain have that ultra sleek look to it. Instead of a sculpture, the one in Rome has half of a Fiat sticking out of the wall, and and pictures that are modernist interpretations of Roman art.

It's a great hotel, that "chain" like modernist theme may not make them homogeneous as staying at a Westin or a Hilton in Italy, but it's not a traditional hotel designed to give the feel of ancient Rome. OP would be happy there because of the quality. He can go to the Indigo on the lower east side Manhattan, or to the one in Brooklyn in NYC where he lives, or to the one on Long Island, and see if he likes that vibe, and if that's what he'd want someone to experience who was visiting NYC from Italy.

It's one of the better hotels, trendy, chic. It's the opposite from the Inn at the Forum, where ancient Roman crypts and ruins are physically part of the hotel. They are all good, I this hope this has given the OP a good sense of the pro's and con's of each. He certainly did his homework in finding three great places.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I just looked at the website. I think I would feel as if I were sleeping in a Hard Rock Cafe.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:09 pm

We like the modern themed hotels so the Indigo sounds like it's the best fit. Before we make the final decision however, any additional insight into the Hotel Raphael? Raphael as @Perche mentioned is the best located. Beyond that is there anything else about the hotel specifically (whether it's good or bad) that would help us make the final decision?

We aren't opposed to quirky hotels, but definitely like the modern comforts. The Hotel Raphael was listed in Conde Nast's reader survey last year as the #8 hotel in Rome (for whatever that is worth), which is how it first appeared on our radar.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Babuino 181

We've stayed at the Babuino 181 near the Piazza Popolo and loved it. Beautiful design, comfortable room and the location near the Borghese gardens is great.

In July 2015 we had the Patrisi Suite, which came with a HUGE rooftop terrace all our own, views over Rome and the Gardens! Check it out!!!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
We've stayed at the Babuino 181 near the Piazza Popolo...had the Patrisi Suite, which came with a HUGE rooftop terrace all our own, views over Rome and the Gardens! Check it out!!!
Around $800/night. Out of my price range.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:06 pm

Bit OT,

If one needs hotel very close to Termini for two back-to-back morning to evening day trips on train out of Rome termini, which 3* or 4*hotel is recommended? (criteria: bug free clean room with A/C and being able to walk safely to hotel around 10 pm)

There so many of them and reviews on TA dont make anyone stick out as obvious choice. Hence the request for suggestions here.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by desi
Bit OT,

If one needs hotel very close to Termini for two back-to-back morning to evening day trips on train out of Rome termini, which 3* or 4*hotel is recommended? (criteria: bug free clean room with A/C and being able to walk safely to hotel around 10 pm)

There so many of them and reviews on TA dont make anyone stick out as obvious choice. Hence the request for suggestions here.
Haven't stayed in a hotel in this area for many years, therefore I can't recommend any one specifically. But what I can do is tell you that the area is safe even after 10 pm. There may be some people loitering atht look dangerous, but a) the area is absolutely full with all kinds of Italian police forces, and b) you never read about muggings in the local news pages of the newspapers. Finally, 10 pm is still early

PS There may be an occasional pickpocket, see the dedicated thread!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:25 pm
JBD

Bit OT,

Your question is completely OT!

What is your budget and when is your trip? (Prices will vary with the time of year, and of course they'll also vary depending on how much of the hotel is already sold for your stay).

And are you using the 3* and 4* designations in the Italian sense? Or perhaps do you mean them in a North American sense?

(This info will enable posters to make the most appropriate recommendations.)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:44 pm

Thanks for responses. Apology for not being very specific.

Trip is in upcoming weeks.
Was using 3*/4* in American sense. A solo traveller just needing a place close to train (just one piece of luggage and small backpack) station. Just needing a place where room/shower is clean/bugfree and probability of theft from room is very low. Budget is whatever is resonable to pay to get that kind of room as close to train station as possible in mid April. (i am going through tripadvisor and cant seem to find an obvious choice)

Thanks for help.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:10 am
JBD

Thanks for responses. Apology for not being very specific.

Trip is in upcoming weeks.
Was using 3*/4* in American sense. A solo traveller just needing a place close to train (just one piece of luggage and small backpack) station. Just needing a place where room/shower is clean/bugfree and probability of theft from room is very low. Budget is whatever is resonable to pay to get that kind of room as close to train station as possible in mid April. (i am going through tripadvisor and cant seem to find an obvious choice)

Thanks for help.
While you wait for posters to chime in with their first hand suggestions, thought I should share some bookmarks. (I haven't stayed at the following places but had found them when doing travel planning research for friends). You've probably come across these first two:

UNA Hotel Roma
Official Site: http://www.unahotels.it/en/una_hotel...oma_hotels.htm
TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ome_Lazio.html
Location on Google: https://goo.gl/maps/ZDAEQw36yCG2

iQ Hotel
Official Site: http://www.iqhotelroma.it/en/
Location on Google: https://goo.gl/maps/2YtSizGqdkB2

This next choice actually doesn't meet your criteria of being really close to Termini. This place is actually really close to the Cavour Metro stop. Termini is not only the train station, but it also houses the two main subway lines, Line A and Line B. You could access Line B at Termini and go one stop to Cavour and be very close to this next place. (That way you won't have to worry about the immediate area outside of Termini, because you'll avoid it completely). And if by chance you'd enjoy being able to sample a little bit of Rome when you return from your days' outtings, this choice will have you in Monti. (This thread is a good primer on Monti: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...one-monti.html)

Inn Urbe
Official site: http://www.innurbe.it/EN/index.asp
Location on Google: https://goo.gl/maps/nTUoKC68NB22

And Inn Urbe is a B&B type place, so again, not what you were asking for! But when googling it I saw terrific reviews for it on a bunch of booking engines (Trivago, Booking.com, Kayak), and my friends like modern style places so I suggested it to them - and figured I should share it here too. (My friends haven't made any decisions yet, there trip isn't until next spring).

Good luck with your trip planning!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:53 am

Bit OT,

I used to stay at the UNA until they raised the rates well past my reimbursement limit. It's a very nice, modern hotel, close to the Termini. Last time I stayed at the Hotel Columbia. Maybe one step lower than the UNA, but more affordable and perfectly adequate for an overnight.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:34 am

Family of 4 traveling in Nov. We are considering the Albergo Cesari or the Palace Navona di Charme. Both are @ $450 for 3 nights and include breakfast/minibar. The Palace is throwing in a massage for 2. The Albergo looks to have a nicer breakfast/view, at least from the pictures we've seen.

Which would you guys choose out of these two hotels or is there another in a similar price range that you would recommend? Thanks!

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Apr 12, 2017 at 11:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.