Reload this Page >

FCO to Rome transportation options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Ground Transportation Options (Including Taxis, Trains, Buses and Shuttles) from 060608 - an Official Rome Tourist site
060608 Aeroporto di Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci - Services and connections

Car Service Options Recommended by Many FTers Over Many Years
Stefano's Rome Cabs Cost €50 for one way transfer. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

Rome Shuttle Limousine Cost €50 for one way transfer. If booking a roundtrip there is a €5 discount. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

How To Check for Upcoming Transportation Strikes
Link to official website showing schedule of upcoming transport strikes (in Italian)
Link to site above, translated through google
Link to a search for strikes on website "Wanted in Rome". (This is a well maintained site geared to expats which will post info about upcoming strikes, usually a day or so beforehand).
Print Wikipost

FCO to Rome transportation options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by tinkicker
For info as of October 2018 the Fixed taxi fare from the airport is now 60 Euros. (Sqpr taxi with 4 pax).
i find this highly doubtful. I won’t be taxiing to FCO until I fly from there back to the states on October 27th, but there is no media about this in Italy, and there would be.

Backstory, when regular Uber was allowed into Rome taxis couldn’t compete on price because Uber drivers don’t need a license, their cars don’t need to be inspected, they don’t need insurance, and they would go to a tiny town an hour or two outside of Rome and get their care a registration for a meager amount compared to Rome. The only inspection the cars needed of a new Uber driver was to have a fellow Uber driver fill out a form saying the car is OK.

So, Italian taxi drivers were promised that the fixed rate to the airport set by the government would be raised. That would be about 6-7 years ago, I think. To my knowledge, that hasn’t happened. Instead, the government went after Uber and required drivers to have a license, register their cars, have insurance, get cars inspected, and meet the same requirements of any other professional livery driver. Uber argued against that by saying that they are not a taxi company, they just connect independent car drivers who are on their own, with independent people seeking a ride. When Rome made Uber drivers require a license, registration, inspected cars, it made Uber so expensive that they could no longer compete with taxis.

All that happened on October 1st that I know of is that a new mini-car start-up called, “Enjoy,” was allotted 20 parking spots at FCO, to pick up passengers. I Believe they use a meter, and promise that they will be cheaper than a taxi. Good luck with that one. The reason for fixed rate was to stop uninformed tourists from being given a tour of the city.

I could be wrong, I won't be in Rome until Sunday, and I find this highly doubtful.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 15, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
Just got back from Italy on Sunday and it was still 48 euros. Had my hotel call the cab and took it to FCO.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PandaSoPink
Just got back from Italy on Sunday and it was still 48 euros. Had my hotel call the cab and took it to FCO.
Well there was a large sign at the airport taxi stand saying as from xx October the price would be 60 euros. I should have taken a picture of it but I’m passing through again in a few days so will see if I can remember. Of course it could just be a clever scam but it was a plastic / metal board mounted in the wall by the taxi pick up area.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:18 pm

Well there was a large sign at the airport taxi stand saying as from xx October the price would be 60 euros. I should have taken a picture of it but I’m passing through again in a few days so will see if I can remember. Of course it could just be a clever scam but it was a plastic / metal board mounted in the wall by the taxi pick up area.
How old was the sign. Only thing I can think of is before 2015 it was legal for non-Roman but legitimate taxis to charge 60 euros. The reason was, let’s say a taxi licensed in the town of Fiumicino took someone to the airport. They drop off the passenger, then get in line to get a fare going from the airport.

99% of the time the person getting into the taxi wants to go to Rome, not the town of Fiumicino. The driver from the town of Fiumicino could legally take a person to Rome, but was not allowed to pick up a fare in Rome. So, they had to lose an hour driving back to the town of Fiumicino, empty. In order to compensate drivers from other municipalities for having to drive back empty, and to motivate them to continue to be willing to come to the airport, they were allowed to charge 60E.

That changed in 2015 with something I think was called tariffa comprensoriale, or comprehensive fare rule of 48 E for all. No more 60 for taxis from other towns. To compensate non-Ronan taxi drivers for taking someone to Rome they gave them some type of sticker to put on their license plate that allowed them to pick up passengers in Rome.

Perhaps you were looking at an old sign from before tariffa comprensoriale?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
How old was the sign. Only thing I can think of is before 2015 it was legal for non-Roman but legitimate taxis to charge 60 euros. The reason was, let’s say a taxi licensed in the town of Fiumicino took someone to the airport. They drop off the passenger, then get in line to get a fare going from the airport.

99% of the time the person getting into the taxi wants to go to Rome, not the town of Fiumicino. The driver from the town of Fiumicino could legally take a person to Rome, but was not allowed to pick up a fare in Rome. So, they had to lose an hour driving back to the town of Fiumicino, empty. In order to compensate drivers from other municipalities for having to drive back empty, and to motivate them to continue to be willing to come to the airport, they were allowed to charge 60E.

That changed in 2015 with something I think was called tariffa comprensoriale, or comprehensive fare rule of 48 E for all. No more 60 for taxis from other towns. To compensate non-Ronan taxi drivers for taking someone to Rome they gave them some type of sticker to put on their license plate that allowed them to pick up passengers in Rome.

Could be.

I will try to have a look for the sign.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:59 am

Well, I guess I’m the latest mug. I wonder how many other people fall for the “point at sign and say price has changed”. routine. Hopefully this picture posts, otherwise I’ll update when in decent WiFi.

obscure2k and PandaSoPink like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:18 pm

Well, I guess I’m the latest mug. I wonder how many other people fall for the “point at sign and say price has changed”. routine. Hopefully this picture posts, otherwise I’ll update when in decent WiFi.

That's just negligence on their part. The first sign says that based upon a ruling by the Rome City Council made in October 2006, there is now a fixed rate of 60 euros from FCO to Rome (within Aurelian Walls). That came about for reasons explained upstream. The second sign says that as of May 2012 they have a new fixed taxi rate to Rome ta of 48 euros. They should have taken down the first, outdated sign. Or, they did, and someone put it back up as a scam.

Hard to see how someone would fall for that, as the official taxis have the rate from the airport to the FCO to Rome of 48 euros painted on the door.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:27 pm

That's just negligence on their part. The first sign says that based upon a ruling by the Rome City Council made in October 2006, there is now a fixed rate of 60 euros from FCO to Rome (within Aurelian Walls). That came about for reasons explained upstream. The second sign says that as of May 2012 they have a new fixed taxi rate to Rome ta of 48 euros. They should have taken down the first, outdated sign. Or, they did, and someone put it back up as a scam.

Hard to see how someone would fall for that, as the official taxis have the rate from the airport to the FCO to Rome of 48 euros painted on the door.
well in my defence: the English bit of the left sign doesn’t say what year it is and it’s october so when you turn up and the driver says where to .... points at the sign saying new rate. Probably only works with English speakers and probably only in October!

May point is: going to the official taxi rank in Rome is no defence against drivers attempting (and in my case succeeding) in ripping you off.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

well in my defence: the English bit of the left sign doesn’t say what year it is and it’s october so when you turn up and the driver says where to .... points at the sign saying new rate. Probably only works with English speakers and probably only in October!

May point is: going to the official taxi rank in Rome is no defence against drivers attempting (and in my case succeeding) in ripping you off.
Even if you don't speak Italian, it should be clear that in the Italian it says "2006" whereas the sign on the right says "2012," so even if a taxi driver tried claiming the 60 eur as "new," you could show the other as having supplanted it by lowering to 48.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Even if you don't speak Italian, it should be clear that in the Italian it says "2006" whereas the sign on the right says "2012," so even if a taxi driver tried claiming the 60 eur as "new," you could show the other as having supplanted it by lowering to 48.
And yet ... why would I read the Italian when there is a translation below it.

Anyhow I didn't really come on to rant about it or actually to complain. I just thought the price had gone up to 60 euros so wanted to let others know. Knowing the price of the train, it was still competitive for our group and took us to the door of where we wanted to go. We did get the bus back to the airport though, just to punish taxis generally ourselves :-)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
And yet ... why would I read the Italian when there is a translation below it.

Anyhow I didn't really come on to rant about it or actually to complain. I just thought the price had gone up to 60 euros so wanted to let others know. Knowing the price of the train, it was still competitive for our group and took us to the door of where we wanted to go. We did get the bus back to the airport though, just to punish taxis generally ourselves :-)
Bus sounds fun!

I've actually never taken a taxi to/from FCO. Almost did once but changed my mind last minute. I'm generally near Trastevere, so it's a bit longer train and then tram, but just so much cheaper and feels quicker as I avoid the traffic.

But if it was a large group...

(I have paid the ridiculous taxi fare in MXP)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:31 pm

Perche's post #2 59 , above, explains in plain English the situation with Fiumicino-registered taxis in contrast to the Rome-registered ones: Well, the left-hand sign has been put there by the Citta' di Fiumicino while the right-hand one by the administration of Rome. Easy, isn't it? No! Because Fiumicino has now become part of the metropolitan city of Roma Capitale (after 2006), thus sign #2 (the €48 one) should be valid also for Fiumicino. That would be true if somebody at the latter's council (if it has the power to change a decision taken by the former council that no longer exists) would thing of revoking the old municipal council decision, which is not possible because this would be against the cabbies there, and so on, and so on...

To make it brief, a fine example of how things run in Italy. As a Greek I fully understand the reality of Italian life: thousands of reasons that make it miserable and complete lack of common sense, but in the last analysis people, food and weather are great!
obscure2k and tinkicker like this.

Last edited by KLouis; Oct 19, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
in the last analysis people, food and weather are great!
Now that is a good reflection of my trip. Oh and the old buildings are amazing.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Hello,

Does anyone have recent experience of availability of taxis at FCO very late at night? Flight arrives from FRA at 11:40 pm so too late for train, bus, etc...

Leaning towards a taxi vs car service, but don't want to be waiting at the curb for an hour at 1am until a solitary taxi shows up...

Thanks,
Bill
lax01 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The TAM bus was perfect for my recent trip.

With a return ticket priced at €9 I think it is the cheapest option. For some reason a single at the ticket booth is €7, but they appear to sell singles online for €4.50. Terravision and the other company with a booth at the airport have cheaper singles, but more expensive returns. (May be cheaper online.)

From arrivals, turn right and just keep walking all the way past the taxi touts and you'll get to the bus stop eventually.

The reason I chose TAM was that it stops at Ostiense station, which we arrived at in under 25 minutes. This is a short walk from Piramide metro, 4 stops from Termini. If you need to take onward transport from Termini anyway, you might as well alight here rather than stay on the bus as it would definitely take more than 10 mins. The bus departed exactly on time as advertised.

On the return I started at Termini, where the bus picks up just outside the Mercato Centrale, and departed as scheduled. But I really should have taken the metro to Piramide and caught the previous bus, as it took 35 mins to drive to Ostiense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.