Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need flight advice, first time to Italy from ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Need flight advice, first time to Italy from ATL

First trip to Europe- doing 3 nights in Venice, 3 nights in Florence and 3 nights in Rome. Family of five (three teenagers) looking to fly coach from ATL to VCE on Dec 22 and returning on Jan 3 or 4th from FCO to ATL

Connect in AMS, MUC, CDG or EWR? Concerned about weather winter delays and short connection times. Avoid connections and fly non-stop from ATL to MXP and take a train??

AVOD would be nice for kids but DL flight in Dec to MXP is 767. Do you recommend AF,LT,KLM?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Originally Posted by mparker365
First trip to Europe- doing 3 nights in Venice, 3 nights in Florence and 3 nights in Rome. Family of five (three teenagers) looking to fly coach from ATL to VCE on Dec 22 and returning on Jan 3 or 4th from FCO to ATL

Connect in AMS, MUC, CDG or EWR? Concerned about weather winter delays and short connection times. Avoid connections and fly non-stop from ATL to MXP and take a train??

AVOD would be nice for kids but DL flight in Dec to MXP is 767. Do you recommend AF,LT,KLM?

Thanks for any advice!
Since you have to connect, of the airports you've listed, AMS or MUC are the better of the 4. AMS is not prone to cancellations and delays unless there is a real humdinger of a storm. MUC also has pretty good operations. However, in event of a cancellation or having to spend a night, either place would offer something to see/do during that night that would be better than CDG or EWR. If you can get on KLM on the 777 from ATL to AMS, then you'll have AVOD which is pretty good on KLM. Food is just average, but the reliability of KL is better than AF. So, you could quite easily fly ATL-AMS-VCE/FCO-AMS-ATL
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

muc,mxp,fra,vce all have fog and or snow problems in winter. i have had a lot of problems at jfk also. i presume ewr has similar problems, although i have not used it much in winter. i would still fly atl-xxx-vce, and return fco-yyy-atl. particularly with a family. i think those are real busy times at airports, and planes are quite full. we have avoided that problem by flying on dec 25, and then later in jan.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat

Thanks for any advice!
Why don't you fly ATL-FCO (+VCE) / FCO-ATL with Delta?
Anyway, based on your list I'd avoid CDG and EWR, likely choode AMS or MUC.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

Thanks for any advice!
Fly DL, ATL-VCE [it may stop in the US somewhere but I'd take that over an int'l transfer] and return FCO-ATL, then take the train to get VCE-FLO-FCO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.