Wiki Posts
Search

Tax on reward nights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, DC, IC
Tax on reward nights

Hi All, have just booked 2 nights at the IC Budapest, the booking tells me it is subject to 23% tax, which if the case would be in the region of £60. Can someone enlighten me I thought tax was paid on reward nights. Also has anyone stayed at this hotel and any views, many thanks
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:20 am

I never paid tax on reward nights in the past. Unless something has changed i dont think you need to pay.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
I have never had to pay any taxes or fees on many rewards nights cashed in. This has only been on North America stays (Aruba too).
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
I also have never paid taxes on award nights, for award stays in the Americas, Asia and Europe.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
I have never had to pay tax on reward stays in the countries below. But I have noted a number of times that taxes appear on the confirmation.

Canada
US
Malaysia
Singapore
Thialand
New Zealand
French Pol.
South Korea
UK
Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mycity68
Hi All, have just booked 2 nights at the IC Budapest, the booking tells me it is subject to 23% tax, which if the case would be in the region of £60. Can someone enlighten me I thought tax was paid on reward nights. Also has anyone stayed at this hotel and any views, many thanks
Hungary has a VAT System, so 23% tax is included in your final folio. Your room rate is zero. 23% of zero is? ZERO
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:42 pm

I've not had to pay tax on rewards stays either.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IC Expert
I have never had to pay tax on reward stays in the countries below. But I have noted a number of times that taxes appear on the confirmation.

Canada
US
Malaysia
Singapore
Thialand
New Zealand
French Pol.
South Korea
UK
No tax in Netherlands, the US or Texas. It all gets billed to IC.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:37 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I never paid tax on reward nights in the past. Unless something has changed i dont think you need to pay.
Me too, never paid taxes on a reward stay.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:54 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I am staying at IC budapest in july for 4 nights. I emailed them and booked danube view room and have been upgraded to an executive room with lounge access as an Ambassador. If you are going before the last week in July perhaps you would be kind enough to post your thoughts on the hotel.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles and more, Sofitel Privelege, Priority Club Platinum Amb
I can't add much to the thread on the tax - I've never been charged either, but the hotel I've stayed at a couple of times in the last month. Both times I've been upgraded to a river view, and I have to say at night it's stunning

The hotel does a fantastic breakfast too, and is pretty centrally located and the tram stops outside the front. One note of caution, if you come back after dark you normally get propositioned by some nice ladies offering ' assistance'. No real hassle but something to be aware of. Oh and the hotel does a pretty good mark-up on taxis back to the airport. The fixed price is normally 4500HUF, they are happy to arrange for you at a fee of 6500HUF. I'd normally get the taxi firms number that dropped me off and call them to take me back too.

Enjoy your stay - fabulous city
Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:06 am

DH is Platinum and we will be staying at the CP Resort on Hilton Head next month. As I understand it, we won't be charged the "taxes", but what about the $ 12.00 per night resort fee, and the parking charges?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Don't understand. £60 tax suggests a room rate of £130 per night. But yours is a reward night, a "free" (miles-paid) night: 23% of "free" is in the region of zero

It's a good hotel in a fabulous position.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
Originally Posted by SpoiltRotten
DH is Platinum and we will be staying at the CP Resort on Hilton Head next month. As I understand it, we won't be charged the "taxes", but what about the $ 12.00 per night resort fee, and the parking charges?
You will have to pay for parking but I have never been assessed resort fee's.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: dl plat
What about on BOGOs, does one pay taxes on the night where payment is made with the certificate?
It is supposed to be a "free" night, so the same x% of zero formula should apply, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.