Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Vienna Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Thanks for this, based on these two reviews just in May 2009, it appears that not all rooms have been renovated and those that have not been are very old with bad beds. Does not really sound like an upscale property, which confirms my original impression.

I think it is time for me to start looking for another hotel in Vienna. I'm really not sure why IC has so many poor hotels in its chain. I get that it is part of Holiday Inn which is not a luxury brnad (to say the least), but at least Hyatt and Marriott have their upscale hotels )i.e. Park Hyatt and JW Marriott) that for the most part are all excellent, very clean luxury properties.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:52 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy
Thanks for this, based on these two reviews just in May 2009, it appears that not all rooms have been renovated and those that have not been are very old with bad beds. Does not really sound like an upscale property, which confirms my original impression.

I think it is time for me to start looking for another hotel in Vienna. I'm really not sure why IC has so many poor hotels in its chain. I get that it is part of Holiday Inn which is not a luxury brnad (to say the least), but at least Hyatt and Marriott have their upscale hotels )i.e. Park Hyatt and JW Marriott) that for the most part are all excellent, very clean luxury properties.
Hmm, quite unusual that you've booked 24 nights on pointsbreaks for a property you've not even checked out prior.

Anyway, following on from my review which you've now no doubt read. I'd definitely return for 5,000 per night. The lady and I seriously discussed it, but decided to go to a city we've not been to before rather than going back to Vienna (nothing to do with the hotel).

If I were staying at the usually available room rates, I'd choose the Hilton for a return visit, but at 5000 points, it's a steal.

Yes, the unrefurbished room was a bit tired, so why not send an email to the hotel to confirm you'll get a refurbished room?

Lastly, it is DEFINITELY WAY above the standard of the Holiday Inns I've stayed in.

Last edited by markdg; Jul 22, 2009 at 10:15 am
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Perhaps others who have stayed at this hotel in Vienna could offer their opinions as well@:-)
It's a top-class hotel, wonderfully located. But I think you would be far happier somewhere else.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.

a) All rooms at the IC have been renovated. You will be upgraded to a studio suite. This is not a poor hotel!

b) I can hardly think of a more upscale property in Vienna. It is a five star hotel. If you are into Imperial style hotels (i.e. rooms over 500 USD/night and decorations from the 18th and 19th century), then the IC might be the wrong choice.

C) It is a 60s building. The first building in Vienna in this style (it is arguably a bit ugly) and has been declared a landmark a few years ago...

d) If money doesn't matter and you want a great room, I'd ask the IC if they upgrade you for a charge to an executive suite, or the presidential.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Asiana, Virgin, PC, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
IC Vienna is one of the best European ICs with wonderful service. I've enjoyed it very much.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Thank you all for the responses, I was able to confirm with the IC Vienna hotel that not all rooms have been renovated, and they could not promise one for my stay (althoug on a points break reservation for 4 nights, they did confirm a Jr. Suite).

This is a special trip for me, so I can risk a bad hotel stay. I decided on the DO & CO Hotel, which had an excellent Euro 160 rate including tax per night for city view room.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: LH M&M SEN *G, Priority Club Plat. RA
Hello

Here goes another 4 nights pointbreak unused.

The DO&CO is very central (and when I mean central, I MEAN central) hotel. Wouldn't take it on New Years Eve though. For sure a nice hotel for your special occasion.

Although I would have taken Chinatrvl's advice and asked for an even higher upgrade against charge. Then again, the hotel already accomodate you by giving you an upgrade on a reward stay even on PB reward stay which they did not have to do according to T&C.

Cheers
aquaguy
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Originally Posted by aquaguy
Here goes another 4 nights pointbreak unused.
Slightly OT, but from post #1503 on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...merged-38.html (sorry, don't know how to paste the link to that one post), I think you'll find it's 24 nights that have been unused.....
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
It's a very nice hotel!

The IC in Vienna -- as others have noted-- could never be mistaken for a Holiday Inn in West Virginia, and it is certainly not "Soviet-styled." It was the first Intercontinental in Europe, wasn't it?

I stayed there in June 2007, in a standard room. The standard-sized rooms are on the small side, but the bed was extremely comfortable (with Frette linens, I think). The bathroom was an older style, but functional, with a proper bath, but not a separate shower.

The service was exceptional: Wiener charm at its finest. I ordered coffee every morning, rather than having a proper breakfast in the hotel, and the presentation was exceptional. I was also there for a special occasion, and the staff was extraordinary, even for a mere casual guest in a cheap room.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:37 am

Thank you all for the responses, I was able to confirm with the IC Vienna hotel that not all rooms have been renovated, and they could not promise one for my stay (althoug on a points break reservation for 4 nights, they did confirm a Jr. Suite).

This is a special trip for me, so I can risk a bad hotel stay. I decided on the DO & CO Hotel, which had an excellent Euro 160 rate including tax per night for city view room.
This is interesting as the German website (www.vienna.intercontinental.com) says "all rooms have been renovated". So, I will check with them as well to ensure we get a renovated room.

You can't fault the DO & CO, especially the location; although this is a four star, afaik.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:43 am

Sent an email yesterday to the hotel asking for a renovated room and for a change from a studio suite to a club room instead. Got response telling me "all the rooms have been renovated" so I will definitely get a renovated room, and sorry, you cannot get club access or change to a club room. Quite stingy with the club access this hotel.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
Sent an email yesterday to the hotel asking for a renovated room and for a change from a studio suite to a club room instead. Got response telling me "all the rooms have been renovated" so I will definitely get a renovated room, and sorry, you cannot get club access or change to a club room. Quite stingy with the club access this hotel.
You can pay for it. An RA reported a 35EUR quote for Club access upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
This is interesting as the German website (www.vienna.intercontinental.com) says "all rooms have been renovated". So, I will check with them as well to ensure we get a renovated room.
Sorry for quoting myself - IC Vienna's reply was that all rooms have been renovated. There are apparently no "old", un-renovated rooms anymore.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:39 am

Hmm can't see it being worth 35 euro a day for breakfast basically, since we won't really use it for anything else.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
Hmm can't see it being worth 35 euro a day for breakfast basically, since we won't really use it for anything else.
As aforementioned, 2 x breakfast at the hotel will be more than 35 Euro. Therefore, if you want hotel breakfast, it will actually be cheaper. And it gives you some champagne/wine in the evening as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.