Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie on course to hit Plat - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BarmyArnie
You say that you have been staying at the CP London off and on (althoughy you do not specify which one)
I stay at the CP City of London from time to time always booking the cheapest available room and have always been given a Club Floor room with Lounge access. So if only for your London stays the Plat. would be worth it.
Interesting - that's the one I use and the club lounge is certainly a nice setup.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Radioman
Hi
If this happens you should try and check priorityclub.com and see what rooms are still free. Also make sure you fill out one of the comments cards....
So if I see a ton of rooms open that are the better rooms... mention it and possibly get upgraded into room, and moved out of the lesser room that same night?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by speedster1978
Quite a few times I've been told that they have no upgrades available as they are booked, yet see barely any cars in the parking lot... go figure...

What have you seen as common excuses, and any good counters?
Same here. I didn't get an upgrade very often. In some HIs they tell me: "You are upgraded!" Still, it was a "normal" room. I didn't see any differences between gold and platinum. Gold and/or platinum helps, when you have a complain, want another room, etc.
When you need points to become platinum, just apply for a ChaseVisaPriority Card (=30,000 points).
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by speedster1978
So if I see a ton of rooms open that are the better rooms... mention it and possibly get upgraded into room, and moved out of the lesser room that same night?
Basically yes. Ask them to justify themselves if you think there are trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:28 pm
mti

Generally here in the UK the 'executive' rooms only have two small differences; a tiny dining table and a robe in the room. I often order room service so on those days I ask for an upgrade - more often that not it has never been applied before me asking, and it is nearly always done straight away and without problems.

The only hotel I have ever had problems with are Brighton and Leicester. At Leicester the woman was so rude to me that I rang guest relations right there at the check-in desk and the lady on the end of the phone was extremely helpful and evidently reminded the check-in woman of her responsibilities to an IHG customer.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Getting closer....

Last week's stay has now posted (comp u/g to club floor without lounge access), so just 4,400 points from the hallowed status of Platinum. Given that my next stay will trigger a 5,000 bonus to boot, so long as I manage one night in an IHG hotel in the next 45 or so, it's in the bag.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Getting closer....

Last week's stay has now posted (comp u/g to club floor without lounge access), so just 4,400 points from the hallowed status of Platinum. Given that my next stay will trigger a 5,000 bonus to boot, so long as I manage one night in an IHG hotel in the next 45 or so, it's in the bag.
Hi Swiss Tony,

Good luck with getting the Platinum. ^
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
New platinum on the block! I am now in a HIX in SFO, was upgraded to top floor and given a welcome pack of nuts and cookies. I have arrived!
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiki
New platinum on the block! I am now in a HIX in SFO, was upgraded to top floor and given a welcome pack of nuts and cookies. I have arrived!
Woo hoo! Nuts and cookies - I can't wait
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Choice Privileges, WorldPerks, SkyMiles, RapidRewards
Hey, on my last stay, they offered cookies and a free bottle of water!

Doesn't get any better than THAT!! Why, that would have cost me 75c on the street!

Last edited by brandinius2; Nov 13, 2008 at 8:44 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by brandinius2
Hey, on my last stay, they offered cookies and a free bottle of water!

Doesn't get any better than THAT!! Why, that would have cost me 75c on the street!
ROTFLMAO!

Yup got a bottle of water too!
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver, IHG Platinum, National Ex Elite, United MileagePlus
Plat is pretty easy to get with points (renewed mine in late Feb) and I have never had a IHG Manager throw roses at my feet. But I have never had a HH Manager throw roses either. But I have had some Holiday Inns give me access to a club floor with a lounge and free drinks in the middle of nowhere. If it makes sense to stay at a HIX, why not stay as a Plat instead of a gold and get 50% more base as a minimum. If it is free, you should take it. That being said, IHG is not my favorite chain due to the lack of consistency between hotels and you should be comfortable where you sleep.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
In Australia I am upgraded about 75% of the time but sometimes I have to ask
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Iluvsafeflights
Plat is pretty easy to get with points (renewed mine in late Feb) and I have never had a IHG Manager throw roses at my feet.
Indeed, it has been even easier for those staying in the UK this year. The dollar was at mutli-year lows whilst hotel rooms were at multi year highs in terms of cost. 2009 could well be a different ball game.

Oh and agree with being comfortable where you sleep - most of that status has been picked up through just one property!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
I'm currently Diamond with Hilton and have been Plat with Marriott and got Plat with IHG this year. Basically I see the program as a bit of a trade off - you can get Plat pretty easy with all the promos but the value of Plat isn't as high. Comparing IGH Plat to HH Diamond:

IHG good:
1. easy to earn and keep status (esp since even your 50% bonus counts)
2. incredible promos (as compared to HH where they've been in a promo desert for the last year +)
3. I get the distinct sense that most of the properties really care about your business - most of the chain is 'hungry' and they work for it a bit.

IHG bad:
1. no equivalent to Diamond Force on award stays
2. upgrade success varies radically and from what I can tell it seems to depend on property whim. I can say that I've gotten some great upgrades at HI Express and the rate is probably 2/3. At the other properties - paritcularly regular HIs the upgrade rate is pretty poor. (I think its because they are typically older and have very few 'special' rooms.)
3. There are a lot of really run down properties - particularly regular HIs.
4. Inconsistent 'extras' - about 1/2 include various extras like a special snack or a 'choose a freebie'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.