Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Why do Priority Club Platinum members NOT get upgrades unless they ask at check in ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do Priority Club Platinum members NOT get upgrades unless they ask at check in ?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
I'd guess about 30% of the time I'm upgraded without having to ask. If I don't get an automatic upgrade: if the hotel looks full, I don't bother asking, but if it looks somewhat empty, usually when I've asked they're happy to upgrade me.

I think part of the "standard welcoming drill" is to point out that your PC number is on file for the reservation... they ALWAYS say that now. About 25% of the time they mention my Plat status and thank me for my business.
Old May 29, 2008, 10:32 am

Another thing I've realised is since I've been a PC Ambassador my upgrade success rate has been 100%. Not sure if this is a coincidence.
Old May 29, 2008, 1:27 pm

I always email 1-2 days in advance- this improves the UG yield!
Old May 29, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by drdanielmacdonald
I always email 1-2 days in advance- this improves the UG yield!
I'm curious, who do you email and what do you say?

BTW, I've been a Plat since 1985, year program was created. CPs seem to be the best, HIXs next. ICs are hit and miss.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:21 am

I email the hotel direct-a useful nudge that's all!
Old May 30, 2008, 4:43 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Why is it necessary to email the hotels and "nudge them", when they are supposed to offer the upgrades in accordance with the T&C regs?

Instead of emailing the hotels, we should all email IHG Corporate Office and Priority Club and complain about the hotels that don't abide with the T&C regulations and the IHG management/franchise agreement to comply with the Priority Club Program. Maybe, then, everyone will benefit.

mxm135
Old May 30, 2008, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by drdanielmacdonald
I email the hotel direct-a useful nudge that's all!
thanks for sharing
Old May 30, 2008, 8:41 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
All over the map

Well, having been Plat for 5+ years now and doing a lot of stays at varying locations (minus Indigo hotels) I've seen it all from:

1) Upgd done ahead of time, before checkin (ie, prescanned electronic key card is already the upgd room) ^

2) Not asking myself but receptionist pointing out my status and checking for upgd when I checked in.

3) Having to ask, the clear seeming surprised and then finding an upgd for me

4) Asking, clerk seeming annoyed and telling me their were no higher category rooms available for the night. If I'm in the mood I pull out my laptop and show them that the PC website shows suites , exec rooms, etc still available for that night and then I request which type I'd like.

At CPs (IMHO) they seem to "have it together" and process them automatically.

It's hit or miss at HIs: some are great, some absolutely stink

HIXs: usually nothing as they don't usually have better room types. But never hurts to ask. One time I got a HUGE 3 room suite with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub for 5! Couldn't believe it was in the HIX and never would have guessed it.

Staybridge / Candlewoods: These are always funny as the clerks rarely see Plats (IMHO) and always ask me what the RA part is. Usually they just show me the floor plan of the hotel and ask what room I want.
Old May 30, 2008, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by EdV
At CPs (IMHO) they seem to "have it together" and process them automatically.
I definately agree with this.
Old May 30, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
I also agree. It's most likely that they haven't read the T&C regs lately and still believe that the upgrade is to the "club floors".

mxm135
Old May 30, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
Just a side note about CPs: Their GSTS (Guest Survey Tracking System) scores for all of Crowne Plaza are, on a brand average, failing. The brand presidents are always making a big push for them to raise their GSTS scores. The easiest way to do that is is to upgrade PC elite members to suites. You'd be surprised how dependant on those surveys the hotels really are. Anything less than a "very satisfied" and the hotel fails.

It is a little dissapointing to hear about all these hotels with poor guest service...but for me that just equals job security .
Old May 30, 2008, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Thumper
ICs are hit and miss.
Your profile shows you're not an Ambassador which explains his one.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Inter-Continental Royal Ambassador
You are correct in your assumption that is is very rare to receive an upgrade in advance or when you check-in at virtually most European H.I or C.P.

However, i can state quite clearly (based on my three years experience of travelling extensively to China (staying in Shanghai and Beijing primarily) - that you will nearly always 100% receive an upgrade when checking in and staying at any H.I / C.P or I.C.

I find especially - all the C.Ps in Beijing / Shanghai China fully compliant in the Priority Club program when checking-in these establishments..
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by travelindave
In my experience I think this is pretty standard. I think the PC Platinum policy is that upgrades are available at check-in if available. The only guaranteed upgrades are for Amb/RA members at IC hotels as far as i know. Even as an RA I've been denied upgrades at HI and CP due to no availabilty at check in (heck, even at a IC hotel last weekend)
HI and CP don't care if you're RA. They only care about platinum, gold, etc.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by Jintropin UK
You are correct in your assumption that is is very rare to receive an upgrade in advance or when you check-in at virtually most European H.I or C.P.

However, i can state quite clearly (based on my three years experience of travelling extensively to China (staying in Shanghai and Beijing primarily) - that you will nearly always 100% receive an upgrade when checking in and staying at any H.I / C.P or I.C.

I find especially - all the C.Ps in Beijing / Shanghai China fully compliant in the Priority Club program when checking-in these establishments..
This is interesting...it's definitely not the case in the rest of Asia in my experience as a Platinum. Almost always I have to ask at the desk--and then usually the "upgrade" is something like from a smoking to a non-smoking room

My worst so far was when I was told it was an upgrade and in fact it was a room in the section of the hotel undergoing renovation, one floor under the renovation area. I was awakened at 7AM by what sounded like jackhammers. I was on my way to checking out if they didn't fix the problem, which they reluctantly did by moving me to the renovated area of the hotel--which is where I should have been in the beginning according to PC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.