Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Santiago transfer to Valparaiso

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL/CO/HH/PC
Crowne Plaza Santiago transfer to Valparaiso

Can anyone provide information regarding best way to get from Santiago to Valparaiso/port area? We are considering coming in a day early for a cruise in Jan 2006 and would stay one night in Santiago, leaving the next morning for Valparaiso and the cruise ship dock.

Thanks for any input.....
Old Mar 30, 2005, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You could rent a car, which is the easiest method. Traffic should not be a major problem until you get close to the CP in Santiago, which is in the heart of a busy traffic'd street. [BTW, if you caught the episode of the Amazing Race two weeks ago, you would get a good idea of driving around Santiago, and the coast of Chile. Their arrival spot in that city is just across the way from the CP.]

Alternatively, there are frequent intercity buses between the two cities. The main bus depot in Santiago is about a mile from the CP, easily reached by taxi [or the Metro].
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I left a reply in the other forum, but just in case you don't check - frequent, inexpensive, safe and comfortable frequent bus service is your best bet. A car is a nice idea, but you may not have a drop point in Viņa/Valpo with some companies. It is a very nice drive out to the coast, although I always pick up my car @ SCL and drive right out as to not deal with driving w/in Santiago. Valpo driving is an adventure, and best left to parking @ Plaza Sotomayor in the big lot and walking from there. Viņa driving isn't bad.

I'd recommend a couple of nights in Santiago, and/or a night or two in Viņa or Reņaca (15 mins from Valpo) - and if you spend time at the coast, I'd recommend a car so you can drive around.

I don't know if the new highway has opened in Santiago (finishing touches on parts were being completed in January), but if it has, it will make getting in/out of the city a breeze. It should run very close to the CP, right in the riverbed.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL/CO/HH/PC
SCL to Valparaiso

Thanks to you both---Spent a few days in Santiago in 2004 and enjoyed them, matter of fact stayed at the CP, Santiago. (Which for some reason I wanted to turn into a Hilton on the Hilton Honors Board) This trip has one day padding for possible weather issues flying from MSP to SCL in Jan. As mentioned much road work going on in town and outskirts. Should be a marked improvement for urban drivers when finished.

Sounds like bus shot is best for us as I don't need wheels this time. Just looking for a clean shot to cruise dock. Other possibility would be direct from airport to Valpo and find a hotel there. So far I'm not having any luck in finding out much for this alternative.......

BTW we are fans of The Amazing Race and enjoyed identifying with some of the Peruvian/Chilean locales.......
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Lodging in Valpo is limited and not so hot. I have stayed there in a perfectly "acceptable" place (I'd have to look up the name) but it was extremely basic. The staff couldn't have been more accomodating, however. You will find much much more in Viņa, and its a pretty quick and not expensive cab ride to Valpo, with your luggage the next day to the dock.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ottofocus
Can anyone provide information regarding best way to get from Santiago to Valparaiso/port area? We are considering coming in a day early for a cruise in Jan 2006 and would stay one night in Santiago, leaving the next morning for Valparaiso and the cruise ship dock.

Thanks for any input.....
The best deal is to ent a car at A.M. Airport Santiago. Good highway to Valparaiso. You will enjoy your car in Valparaiso especially to drive in the upper side of the city. Also to find the best restaurants. You can by the way also drive to Reņaca, a residential town moth Valparaiso. Use your car to
visit some chilean vine farms you will discover long the road from S° to V°
really you need a car to enjoy your stay . CP S° ok, but I prefer IC without any hesitation. Great restaurant. But don't miss the Coco Loco and their Centolla...(Don't dream abourt Valparaiso's langosta...onlyn export)
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Any current thoughts of ideas on this?

In our case we would be going from cruise disembarkation in Valparaiso to Santiago, but essentially the same situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.