Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Exceptional offer at IC LeGrand Paris

This may be of interest if you are going to Paris this year:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/...p/depart2.html

It was aimed at Amex card holders but I don't see why anyone else should not be able to book. Basically, you get:

Two nights for the price of one
Guaranteed junior suite upgrade from any class of room, even the cheap and poky classic rooms
Club access (so free breakfast and drinks)
A free massage

I have booked this for a weekend in August, having stayed on business last year and realising how impressive it is. I booked the cheapest possible room in the hotel for two nights (a pre-paid rate). My credit card was only charged for one night. A couple of days later, the confirmed upgrade to a JS was showing on my PC account.

I am also Ambassador - in fact, I was going to use my voucher for this weekend but this is a far better deal. If I am very lucky, I may even be able to swing an upgrade to a full suite as check-in!
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:28 am

Programs: UAL, NWA, AA
Congratulations. I did the same deal 5-6 yrs ago for New Years eve, they even gave me "senior" suite with big living room and three bathrooms, plus dressing room as bid as a maid room (or single in London). Pitty those oysters gave me the worst stomach flew ever.
My best value for money hotel bargain ever - US150p.n. at New year.
People take this while you can.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Since DEPARTURES is a publication for AMEX PLATINUM and CENTURIAN members, I would expect the offer would only be honoured if using the PLAT card.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:14 pm
Patron

RJB, thank you very much for sharing this offer with us!

Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Since DEPARTURES is a publication for AMEX PLATINUM and CENTURIAN members, I would expect the offer would only be honoured if using the PLAT card.
Not true. I guaranteed my reservation using my British Airways Amex and had no problems. Let's be honest - InterCon don't give a monkeys what card you pay with, in fact they would be happier if you didn't use Amex because of the high fees!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 3:45 am

I believe one of the requirements of the promotion is that you pay with an American Express card product, but not necessarily a Platinum or Centurion card. Like the Fine Hotels and Resorts program, as long as you have access to the promotion, Amex and the hotels don't seem to care what kind of Amex you use to settle the bill. Some don't even seem to care if you use a non-Amex product to pay the bill.

The IC agent I spoke to was very aware of the promotion and noted that there are actually a few Amex/IC promotions for the LeGrand. This one seems to the best of the lot, however. He asked some very pointed questions about where I saw the promotion, etc. Not sure if he was just asking for information purposes only.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:41 pm
Patron

Enjoy a complimentary upgrade to Club IC at the IC Le Grand Hotel Paris (Offer code CNT)

Old Jul 18, 2004, 3:52 pm
dlm

Intercontinental Le Grand hotel room burglery

I stayed at Le Grand hotrel Paris a few months ago and during our stay our room was robbed of personal possessions. The manager on duty Mr Friaux, failed to conduct a prompt investigation. The hotel has NO SECURITY CAMERAS IN THE HALLWAYS so could not see which employee entered our room. Days later when the hotel security director conducted his "investigation" he found nothing unusual. We complained all the way up the corperate ladder and the "circled the wagons" mentality prevailed. I'm just one traveler and to them my safety and security did not matter.

TO PROTECT YOURSELF, WHEN YOU CHECK IN TELL THE DESK MANAGER THAT YOU HEARD THAT DR. GABOR'S ROOM WAS ROBBED A FEW MONTHS AGO AND THAT MR. ROBERT FRIAUX, THE NIGHT MANAGER, SAW THE EMPTY BAGS AND RECEIPTS FROM THE PURCHASES IN OUR ROOM AND FAILED TO INVESTIGATE IMMEDITATELY. SEE IF THEY CAN GUARANTEE THE SECURITY OF YOUR ROOM WHILE YOU SHOP, SIGHTSEE,...
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Help. I'm confused. I tried to book next week against a uk offer (www.legrand.intercontinental.com/platinum) and can find nothing about how to take advantge of the offer or what the terms and conditions are. Also, there is nothing to say if the offer applies to their Internet saver rates (or not).

Perhaps I would be better going through the Platinum travel service?
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:47 pm
Patron

Why don't you mail [email protected]?

Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
Help. I'm confused. I tried to book next week against a uk offer (www.legrand.intercontinental.com/platinum) and can find nothing about how to take advantge of the offer or what the terms and conditions are. Also, there is nothing to say if the offer applies to their Internet saver rates (or not).

Perhaps I would be better going through the Platinum travel service?
You will probably have to use Amex Platinum travel service (as the website says) - the offer was from Amex's Departures magazine after all.

Oddly, though, the offer I initially posted is also from Departures (the US edition) and can be booked directly through the hotel or IC central reservations.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:05 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Thanks, RJB!!! I was able to use this promo for a recent stay at the IC Le Grand in Paris. I phoned the hotel directly and mentioned the promo code -- the reservation clerk read off at least a half a dozen promotions under the "Depart" code -- one featured complimentary round trip transfers instead of the complimentary 2nd night.

The agent asked where I saw this promo, so naturally I replied my friends (at Flyertalk... ) get the Departures Magazine since they are Platinum members (of SPG....) and spend millions (of Monopoly money) annually. The agent joked that it isn't me who actually reads the magazine, but in the end it did not matter.

The lowest available rate at that time was 350 Euro, and we were upgraded to a Club Junior suite with an exterior view on the Boulevard des Capucines -- an additional upgrade as Ambassador was not offered. The Welcome Amenity was 2 peaches, a very nice packet of Hediard chocolates, a large bottle of Vittel, some awesome freshly pressed and filtered apple juice, and some petit fours. The room was of a good size but certainly not huge for a Junior Suite. A deluxe room at the Four Seasons is about the same size, if not larger. The bathrooms were a huge improvement with a separate shower stall with rainshower head, as well as a hand held shower; bathtub; scale; good lighting; and Molton Brown amenities.

The Club Lounge is on two levels, but is accesible due to an internal elevator for physically challenged people. There are a couple private rooms upstairs with Bang and Olufsen stereo systems; toilets; computers with internet access; and lounge seating, with nice views of the rooftops and of the top of the Opera Garnier. The main level features restaurant type seating and the buffet where food is presented pretty much all day. There was a non-stopping flow of Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial champage all day long, including breakfast, which was very nice. My friend and I must have drank our room rates worth of champagne!!!! Breakfast spread is decent, with made to order eggs. In warmers there are bacon, sausages, and tomatoes, along with the standard cold breakfast items. We were invited to go downstairs to the Cafe de la Paix for the buffet breakfast or Japanese breakfast, both complimentary. However, I do not know if this was because we were on the Club floor, on the promotion, due to my Ambassador status, or a bit of the all.

Our stay was good, for an Inter-Continental, though luggage (2 small pieces) took 90 minutes and 3 phone calls to arrive; the excuse -- rush hour!!. Why we didn't just carry it ourselves I don't know...... however, the hotel made it up to us by giving us 20% off our dinner that night at the Cafe de la Paix. The renovations of the Cafe are spectacular and the food has improved a lot as well (either that or the time I have spent in London has really had a negative impact on my tastebuds!!! )

We were only charged for 1 night and the rack rate for the Junior Suite is 710 Euro so this is a great deal. Unfortunately, we were unable to take advantage of the free massage.

One final note, dlm has reported extensively of security issues at the hotel. Our belongings were safe in our room and we had tens of thousands of dollars of equipment in our room since my friend is a professional photographer. While there are no obvious security camera's in the hallways, I am sure there are some hidden. The elevators and access areas all have video surveillance coverage. I guess if one has any doubts, take out a safety deposit box (which we also did) for the most valuable items (passports, cash, etc).

For those booking this rate for future stays, I hope you enjoy your stay. Cheers
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:40 pm

Programs: HH Gld, MR Plt, PC Plt, AA Plt, CO Gld, Amtrk S+
Another one:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/...lp/depart.html

"Stay at the magnificent InterContinental Le Grand Hotel Paris and enjoy an upgrade to Club InterContinental and a complimentary limousine airport pick-up."

Perrhaps you can combine these offers and get a limousine pick-up too...
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:09 pm

Thanks for the excellent report, luxury. The IC Grand's location is just so terrific that the often-indifferent service can sometimes be overlooked. Also happy to hear that the Café has been renovated (though I'd always had reasonable food experiences there -- plain, but perfectly ok).

One question: did you pay with a Platinum AmEx, or was that not part of the deal?
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:34 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
wideman, I guaranteed the reservation with my AeroplanPlus Amex, which was key --not the fact that is was an Aeroplan Amex, but rather that it was an Amex, and not necessarily Plat or Centurion.

However, when it came time to pay, the Club Lounge receptionist told us that they also accept JCB (my friend who I went with is from Japan) but we also settled the bill by Amex also.

I think as long as you know the promotion code, and convince the hotel to give it to you -- which does not seem to be very difficult -- and guarantee the reservation to any Amex card, you should be okay.

As for the location, yes, it is hard to pass up this hotel, despite the occasional service glitches. I used to hate it when one heard the rumbling of the RER trains underneath the hotel but everytime I leave the hotel, I always end up missing it!!!

This is an awesome promo, where else can one stay in Paris for two nights, for less than 90 Euros per person per night, in a Junior Suite with free flowing Moet, and food inclusive, with such an awesome location?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.