Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What program if not IHG?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:39 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Concerto
To be honest, I think he was looking at German language reviews from a variety of sources, as far as I remember over the coffee we having when he talked about. Granted those could be Google translations, but there are a lot of blogs and sites with reviews in German only.
Don't get me wrong, there are some nice properties in the Wyndham program, so in depth research is necessary. The ones I'll stay at, after some bad experiences, are the Grands (Chicago was good,) or the timeshare properties as they always seem to be in great shape with great amenities (Windsor, CA we had a two bedroom unit for my younger son's wedding, also Oceanside/Carlsbad, CA where I actually did the timeshare presentation-passed.)
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I am Spire (some IHG miracle gifted it to me) and I bought Ambassador status. This got me pretty much nothing when I went to the IC Cozumel. I barely got a one category upgrade, and my gift had been sitting in my room so long (4 macarons) by the time I got there, they were totally soggy. It got me lots and lots of free bottled water-that was it! Not one free drink-and i was at the hotel a week. I did so much better with Marriott-I was there on a Platinum status match, and the Westin upgraded me from a basic room to a Junior Suite (900 square feet) on the Penthouse floor with a balcony, and free breakfast every day-even the days I was not entitled to it. Breakfast was juice, coffee, a fruit plate and eggs. I got sick of eggs (I don't like eggs that much) and the manager let me switch to pancakes or waffles instead. I've stayed in some really lovely Choice hotels, and I 've stayed in two that should be condemned. I think I have been upgraded twice as a Diamond in the US-Diamond status in the US is pathetic. I've done well with my Platinum IHG status-I just wish they would throw in breakfast! I love Hyatt-but Discoverist does very, very little. I hear being Diamond is great in Asia and overseas, so I can't wait to check that out. I've stayed in a couple of lovely Choice hotels overseas, a wonderful Conrad in Hong Kong, a super Fairmont in Singapore, and a lovely Crowne Plaza in Auckland. I loved Fairmont, but once they were taken over by Accor, everything fell apart. If you don't travel for work (and I don't), the only way to maintain status is thru credit cards. I lucked into Platinum with Marriott because of COVID, and having two AMEX Bonvoy cards. So I will milk my Platinum thru 2022, and then it will be gone. So I will be stuck with Diamond Hilton and IHG Spire-and try to make the best of it. It seems that the non-US properties of both of these companies try to work much harder for their customers than the US hotels.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:05 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by Runner123
I am Spire (some IHG miracle gifted it to me) and I bought Ambassador status. This got me pretty much nothing when I went to the IC Cozumel. I barely got a one category upgrade, and my gift had been sitting in my room so long (4 macarons) by the time I got there, they were totally soggy. It got me lots and lots of free bottled water-that was it! Not one free drink-and i was at the hotel a week. I did so much better with Marriott-I was there on a Platinum status match, and the Westin upgraded me from a basic room to a Junior Suite (900 square feet) on the Penthouse floor with a balcony, and free breakfast every day-even the days I was not entitled to it. Breakfast was juice, coffee, a fruit plate and eggs. I got sick of eggs (I don't like eggs that much) and the manager let me switch to pancakes or waffles instead. I've stayed in some really lovely Choice hotels, and I 've stayed in two that should be condemned. I think I have been upgraded twice as a Diamond in the US-Diamond status in the US is pathetic. I've done well with my Platinum IHG status-I just wish they would throw in breakfast! I love Hyatt-but Discoverist does very, very little. I hear being Diamond is great in Asia and overseas, so I can't wait to check that out. I've stayed in a couple of lovely Choice hotels overseas, a wonderful Conrad in Hong Kong, a super Fairmont in Singapore, and a lovely Crowne Plaza in Auckland. I loved Fairmont, but once they were taken over by Accor, everything fell apart. If you don't travel for work (and I don't), the only way to maintain status is thru credit cards. I lucked into Platinum with Marriott because of COVID, and having two AMEX Bonvoy cards. So I will milk my Platinum thru 2022, and then it will be gone. So I will be stuck with Diamond Hilton and IHG Spire-and try to make the best of it. It seems that the non-US properties of both of these companies try to work much harder for their customers than the US hotels.
That's a problem with AMB. You have to set the expectations pretty low. I do it for the BOGO, which I've used profitably every year, the Spire renewal, and the modest UPG at the IC SF, which is my preferred SF hotel lately. And the $20 F&B for the one night stands at IC's.

I stayed at the Conrad HK as a HH DIA. I guess once the Grand Hyatt (and Hyatt TST) spoil you there isn't any reason for staying at that mediocre Conrad. I do like the Le Meridien Cyberport, though way out of town, it's actually quite good, peaceful and great views, but the shuttle only runs to Central twice an hour so it takes some planning. But, it works, and usually is reasonably priced for HK.

You still have a few weeks on the Marriott double-double promo to keep PLT. I'm finishing my requalification next week with a 2 night stay at the ROS Bangkok-a little staycation for us. Nice suite and great food. We don't drink, so don't really care about the lounge being closed.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, I haven't gotten to very many of the fancy hotels yet-I am sure you are correct. I was only in Hong Kong two nights-and yes, the Hyatts there (from what I have seen on the web) looked great, as they do in Bangkok. But I am trying the Athenee as I have a free night, and Platinum status. If I had Globalist status, it would be different-I am sure I would hit a Hyatt. I forgot all about the Conrad Algarve-which totally blew me away in every single way! I just made Platinum through the 30 nights from the AMEX cards, the 13 nights courtesy of Marriott gifting me from my Gold status (given by the credit cards, 4 nights credited by a stay at the Westin Cozumel and the double double promo letting me use a two night stay at $59 a night to get me to 51 nights-thank you Marriott! Plus I was lucky a Marriott rep gifted me two 35k ecerts-so I had 9 free nights to use by April 5, 2022! Pretty hard to do when Marriott only lets you use one night per hotel stay, I still work full time, COVID is still rampant, and there isn't much nearby to do fun as a staycation. I like getting a nice room upgrade-which means more than moving me up a floor, but I also like a lounge (not for alcohol drinks so much), but for snacks, substitute dinner, soda, water, and I like breakfast or at least a continental breakfast. I don't care if there is a wine reception-I don't like wine at all. I'd rather have a free breakfast than a food gift in my room except maybe if it was nice fruit. I also really love nice bath soaps, lotions, shampoos, etc.!
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Runner123
Well, I haven't gotten to very many of the fancy hotels yet-I am sure you are correct. I was only in Hong Kong two nights-and yes, the Hyatts there (from what I have seen on the web) looked great, as they do in Bangkok. But I am trying the Athenee as I have a free night, and Platinum status. If I had Globalist status, it would be different-I am sure I would hit a Hyatt. I forgot all about the Conrad Algarve-which totally blew me away in every single way! I just made Platinum through the 30 nights from the AMEX cards, the 13 nights courtesy of Marriott gifting me from my Gold status (given by the credit cards, 4 nights credited by a stay at the Westin Cozumel and the double double promo letting me use a two night stay at $59 a night to get me to 51 nights-thank you Marriott! Plus I was lucky a Marriott rep gifted me two 35k ecerts-so I had 9 free nights to use by April 5, 2022! Pretty hard to do when Marriott only lets you use one night per hotel stay, I still work full time, COVID is still rampant, and there isn't much nearby to do fun as a staycation. I like getting a nice room upgrade-which means more than moving me up a floor, but I also like a lounge (not for alcohol drinks so much), but for snacks, substitute dinner, soda, water, and I like breakfast or at least a continental breakfast. I don't care if there is a wine reception-I don't like wine at all. I'd rather have a free breakfast than a food gift in my room except maybe if it was nice fruit. I also really love nice bath soaps, lotions, shampoos, etc.!
Congrats on the MR PLT. It's definitely worth keeping, especially since IHG Spire/AMB is so easy to requalify for-$200 annually and no stays required if you renew AMB in December.
What about Boston, only 1.5 hrs without too much traffic, for a fun weekend away from home. I've stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf (it's 50k though,) which was a long time ago, but seemed good. With 35k certs, the areas aren't as desireable, but the transportation is good in town, so not a big deal. And it takes us over 30 minutes to go from our apartment in Bangkok to the riverfront hotel of choice (ROS.) Actually, the GH Bangkok is just OK, hence the Cat 4 rating. It used to be much better, though I love the pool and fitness center there, plus the location is pretty good as long as it's not scheduled for a protest. I do like the Athenee, but again, it's been a while since I stayed there. Also, the IC in Boston was a big hit with my older son and his wife, of course, I was RA at the time and they had cocktail parties every day as they refilled the minibar for them whenever necessary.
Sorry to hear about the work... it's vastly overrated.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:08 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rbAA
Unless you really need it sooner, if you wait until December, you should get your Spire extended for another year. No guarantees but it's always worked for me. I've never tried a mid-year renewal since they changed the expiration of my AMB (previously RA) to a calendar year.
i see IHG is bringing back the promotion where you get a free night if you enroll in Ambassador by the end of July. Based on what you said above, this isn’t worth risking if my goal is to extend my Spire status and I should still wait until December?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
i see IHG is bringing back the promotion where you get a free night if you enroll in Ambassador by the end of July. Based on what you said above, this isn’t worth risking if my goal is to extend my Spire status and I should still wait until December?
Not sure as I've not done a midyear renewal while Spire. I'm definitely not risking it for a 40k freebie after a paid IC (or Kimpton or Regent stay,) considering I just got a 25k bonus for another year of Spire, gratis.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Count me among those (in the U.S.) using Hyatt primarily and Marriott as a backup. I like everything about Hyatt (the properties and earning/redemption at least - can't comment on elite status) except the footprint. Courtyards and Fairfields are everywhere, so we use them where there aren't Hyatts. Chase points can transfer to either (along with IHG), though Hyatt is a much better value.

If neither are available, I'll book through Chase's portal with my Freedom Unlimited (5x UR points) or Hotels.com (free night after paying for 10 is effectively 10% back, though the 1-year expiration is a drawback). I get better return with either of those than booking direct with any of the other brands.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:32 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rbAA
Not sure as I've not done a midyear renewal while Spire. I'm definitely not risking it for a 40k freebie after a paid IC (or Kimpton or Regent stay,) considering I just got a 25k bonus for another year of Spire, gratis.
Has anyone done a mid-year sign-up or renewal and received the automatic Spire extension?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.