Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG still flogging Ambassador membership

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:23 pm

I just received a renewal notice for my Ambassador membership which is expiring Feb 1. I don't have plans for any travel that would utilize Ambassador benefits for at least 6 months. Is there any downside to letting the membership expire then re-joining once it would be useful? It looks like the cost is the same ($200 for renewal or new membership) but it appears that renewal includes 15,000 bonus points which a new membership would not.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Choice Diamond
No drawback whatsoever, other than skipping on the 15k rebate. For a 15k rebate I personally *would* signup, since I am actively looking for deals this year. But to be honest, I am willing to bet that they will offer up another promotion to jumpstart ambassador signups... at that time, you can just pick it up again. So either way, I think you win.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by DH714
I just received a renewal notice for my Ambassador membership which is expiring Feb 1. I don't have plans for any travel that would utilize Ambassador benefits for at least 6 months. Is there any downside to letting the membership expire then re-joining once it would be useful? It looks like the cost is the same ($200 for renewal or new membership) but it appears that renewal includes 15,000 bonus points which a new membership would not.
Lots of people (including me) are thinking of doing the same. The main downside is losing the 15K points when you renew. If you don't renew I believe you would keep Platinum status until the end of year, and if you don't re-purchase Ambassador this year, you might drop your elite status.

One alternative is to take a once-only 2 or 6 month membership extension, details below:

8. An InterContinental Ambassador Membership Extension may be awarded to select Ambassadors who meet the criteria below.

a. To be eligible for a two (2) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership and must not have redeemed a two-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional two months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.

b. To be eligible for a six (6) month extension, individuals must have an active Ambassador membership that is in its second or greater consecutive membership year, and must not have redeemed a six-month extension in the past. Ambassador members whose membership has expired are not eligible for this extension. Eligible Ambassador members may request this benefit once per lifetime. If a member elects to use this offer, their Ambassador membership will extend for an additional six months beyond when it would have otherwise expired. This is a one-time offer per member and once the extension is applied to their account, this action is considered final and is not reversible.

c. Membership Extensions are granted at the discretion of IHG and may be denied, ended, or amended with or without notice or compensation, at IHG’s sole discretion. Any extension granted excludes the extension or issuance of any complimentary weekend night certificates.

d. Extensions for Royal Ambassadors are not available.

e. The two (2) and six (6) month membership extensions cannot be combined into a combined eight (8) month extension. The two different extension periods must be applied in two (2) separate membership years.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Choice Diamond
Along the lines above, I see no problem losing elite status with IHG. You can turn ambassador/platinum on and off like a switch. Worst thing that can happen is you may lose points after 12 months of non-qualifying activity, but that's after you've dropped so far down to club PLUS another 12 months of nothing at all... in that type of scenario, you just didn't want to travel with IHG at all and that is likely by choice or loss of interest... whenever you want IHG back, plop down $200 like a costco membership.
noneemac and #1son like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Renewing Ambassador has also historically been a way of preserving Spire status if you wouldn’t otherwise make it on points, so for a handful of folks, it may be worth it to see if that still works
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I paid to renew my Ambassador Membership in 2020. I'm still traveling and there are still ICs to stay at. I see no reason why IHG shouldn't be trying to market this product.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by disneyphans
Along the lines above, I see no problem losing elite status with IHG. You can turn ambassador/platinum on and off like a switch. Worst thing that can happen is you may lose points after 12 months of non-qualifying activity, but that's after you've dropped so far down to club PLUS another 12 months of nothing at all... in that type of scenario, you just didn't want to travel with IHG at all and that is likely by choice or loss of interest... whenever you want IHG back, plop down $200 like a costco membership.
But if you *renew* status, you'll get 15K IHG points. Just purchasing it new avoids the point award. That leaves a significant (approx $60) incentive to keep the membership uninterrupted by renewing, no?
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by DaveH
But if you *renew* status, you'll get 15K IHG points. Just purchasing it new avoids the point award. That leaves a significant (approx $60) incentive to keep the membership uninterrupted by renewing, no?
Indeed! And that's why I will probably take the Membership Extension option so that I will get the 15K points when I do renew.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In our family the strategy is two fold. As I have moaned about IHG's crappy AMB extension handling in other threads already (2x 3months, what a joke), I'll spare everyone here .

One family member is a plain AMB Platinum and had April 2020 expiration. With the 2x 3 months + extra 6 months (as per T&C once a lifetime) status extension (which does not extend the free night cert), she has now April 2021 as AMB end date. She is not going to renew yet as she got "burned" with a lost / wasted free night cert already.

​​​​​​Renewing in April 2021 will give a free night certificate till April 2022 which could be tricky. Hence, she'll only rejoin if and when there is a case for a predictable trip that makes sense (value wise) to use a certificate for, e.g. some IC/ Kimpton in Japan or Europe. She'll probably only rejoin in 2022, 15k points be damned .

My expiry was End Nov 2020 so currently is end May 2021 and if IHG isn't going to do anything about further extensions (grumble) then I'll ask for the once a lifetime 6 months status extension too though it would mean I loose the certificate as well (even deeper grumble). That'll push AMB expiry back to end Nov 2021 and by then I would extend to keep Spire and get a new certificate for use in pretty much all of 2002.

A lot probably depends on ones anticipated ability to travel in 2021 and for us personally, we don't expect anything significant happening before Fall 2021 if we are lucky and get a grip on virus mutations and vaccinations become more wide spread. YMMV.
​​​

Last edited by demue; Jan 24, 2021 at 2:31 am
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:45 am
Suspended

demue I hear ya! My Amb expired Jan 1, the BOGO expired unused. The six-months extension did nothing for me as most places I travel to were either on lockdown or not letting foreigners in for tourism purposes. And business travel is still dead (at least for me).

Of course, you can't use the other Amb benefits, either, if you are not traveling. Six months is a joke, my other programs extended for a year with some special amenities/facilities for year two provided on top of that. The only exception to this is LH Miles and More which also failed me. But all other programs had a solution that worked: Hilton, Hyatt, Delta, SQ, ....
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just to note that today someone on the UK HFP site mentioned that they were granted the 6-month extension upon requesting it and they got their FNC extended by 6 months also.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Just to note that today someone on the UK HFP site mentioned that they were granted the 6-month extension upon requesting it and they got their FNC extended by 6 months also.
Yeah, they like you to beg

The IHG crew have handled things extremely badly. it's as though they have absolutely no idea of what support their customers and their loyalty programme member want, need and expect.

i never thought I'd say it, but Hilton have impressed me enormously with how they've adapted to the pandemic in terms of the concerns of every-day customer and those of members of the HH programme. Of course there's been the occasional bump, but those get sorted out.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:11 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by CMK10
I paid to renew my Ambassador Membership in 2020. I'm still traveling and there are still ICs to stay at. I see no reason why IHG shouldn't be trying to market this product.
I renewed AMB in Dec 2019, got the 15k and it extended my Spire another year, plus got the 25k benefit for that extension as well. My AMB was extended 6 months (to 6/21) and Spire a year to 12/21, so I'll use the 6 month AMB extension if needed, asking nicely to extend my BOGO also, if not, I can use it at the IC Pattaya or Hua Hin before it expires. Not quite as generous as some other programs, but these are usable benefits for the programs I use for stays. Changed to Hyatt as my first choice, from Marriott, so will use IHG/IC when they have better rates or choices, i.e.downtown San Francisco where I prefer the IC SF to the GH or the latest Park Central-pass.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club

The last bullet point suggests an extension but my renewal date is still showing as April 2021
Old Jan 30, 2021, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
That’s for IHG status which isn’t the same as Ambassador status..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.