Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points + Cash "Trick" still a good value?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Points + Cash "Trick" still a good value?

Hey all,

Late to the game with this but didn't realize the Points+Cash Trick. Lowest I've come across so far is .6 cents per point - I guess the thought/idea behind this is to buy those and cancel to get the points then try to book somewhere else 'desirable' where the points are worth more right?

In my case, the difference between paying points + cash for a place we actually want to stay is $4 more ($64 for 10000 points lol) and I have my IHG rewards card to get 10pts per dollar back so I suppose it might be worth the small extra 'hassle' to book a $60 for 10k pts stay, cancel, and then just pay with points for the entire stay - I'd save about $10? hahaha
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:15 am

No.

Book as normal. Stack with cashback, points earning and promo.

Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 336
No.

Book as normal. Stack with cashback, points earning and promo.

So pay the full rate (no reward points), use the IHG credit card, book through something like Topcashback for 4% back, and what promo?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Whenever IHG run their 100% bonus promo, you are buying points for 0.5 cents. So no... the Points + Cash trick isn't particularly valuable any more, unless you are desperate for points at a time when there is no promo for buying points.

As for buying points for an award stay, you need to compare against just booking a revenue stay and earning points, cashback, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Whenever IHG run their 100% bonus promo, you are buying points for 0.5 cents. So no... the Points + Cash trick isn't particularly valuable any more, unless you are desperate for points at a time when there is no promo for buying points.

As for buying points for an award stay, you need to compare against just booking a revenue stay and earning points, cashback, etc.

I'm just staying one night.

To pay with points + cash would cost me 7500 points + $64. Otherwise, it's $107.40 not including all the other taxes, which would likely push it to $130+ for the night. I have the IHG Rewards Select Card, of which one current benefit reads "Earn 20 points at IHG Hotels and Resorts" (Earn 5X points at IIHG® Hotels & Resorts with your card. Earn 10X points from IHG® for being an IHG® Rewards Club Member. Earn 5X points from IHG® with Platinum Elite Status, a benefit of this card.) What's interesting is that with the points + cash checkout screen, it doesn't reflect Taxes as a line item but it makes note of "Taxes & Additional Charges" that may be incurred (presumably charged at the hotel upon checking in/out). The $107.40 rate does include a line item for tax, which brings it to $121. AND they also make note of the "Taxes & Additional Charges" (unless that's actually just factored in via that line item and I won't be charged again)...

EDIT: ok I think they just factored the tax as the line item amount. Not sure why they don't just do that with the Points + Cash bookings too - I guess they charge you for tax when you stay or something.

If I really earn 20 points per night via IHG Rewards Select Card, then yea I guess just paying in full is the better option overall - it's a difference of $12-13 I think and then whatever cashback (likely 4%)

Last edited by jplee3; Aug 22, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Reviving an old thread:

is it still fixed cost on these? . I was just offered 5,000 points less for a $54 copay.

points are worth less, cost is higher.

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 21, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Are there any sources of what the best current deals are to "buy" points through the cash and points trick?

I found a couple options to buy at ,6 cents each but haven't found anything better at the moment.

I've maxed out my 160,000 points in purchases for 2022 but want to generate more by booking cash and points and the canceling. Should I manually check dozens of hotels and dates until I get tired of doing that, looking for the best rate, or is there an easier way?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
This is is not a good way to try to buy large amounts of points to get around the annual purchase limits.

IHG are well aware of this and when they find it they have closed accounts down.
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This is is not a good way to try to buy large amounts of points to get around the annual purchase limits.

IHG are well aware of this and when they find it they have closed accounts down.
I read somewhere else that there were no data points on accounts being closed down for this. Can you provide a link to a discussion from people who have posted online about personal experiences getting their accounts shut down for buying points this way?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:53 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I haven't found anything cheaper than 10k for $60.

I would only buy them at the time I want to use them, which I've just done.

I would have paid the advance purchase rate, but in this case buying the points was still cheaper even considering the points that won't now be earned, and I get the (most likely unneeded) flexibility for "free".
Old Nov 18, 2022, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
I haven't found anything cheaper than 10k for $60.

I would only buy them at the time I want to use them, which I've just done.

I would have paid the advance purchase rate, but in this case buying the points was still cheaper even considering the points that won't now be earned, and I get the (most likely unneeded) flexibility for "free".
I found a .056, .0575, and .05933. Nothing better than that.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: TK Elite, BA Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus, IHG Spire AMB, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I found a .056, .0575, and .05933. Nothing better than that.
Please, can you tell us which hotels show the above P&C prices?
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Marco159
Please, can you tell us which hotels show the above P&C prices?
Many of them do, don't they?

Just choose any large city in the USA like San Francisco and a random date like March 22.

Search for hotels by rewards nights and when the list of hotels pops up, check off "points and cash

A number of hotels, like HIX Oakland airport, offer a rate like 44,000 per night OR $140 plus 19,000 points, meaning you are "buying" 25,000 points for $140 = .56 points per night.

Previously I've scrolled through looking for $139 or maybe even $138 but right now I just checked a few cities and only saw $140 for 25,000 points.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:41 am

There's a point sale right now for 100% bonus but it seems some people aren't getting 100%. The best value for buying points for me, has been staying at ICs, many times with points and if you have the CC for the 4th night free, you'll pay, half price for a 4 day stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.