Wiki Posts
Search

IHG start redundancy process in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
IHG start redundancy process in Scotland

According to the BBC IHG is starting redundancy conversations at its top 5 Scottish hotels. These are the 5 hotels directly managed by IHG, its not clear if they are closing or what but it includes The George in Edinburgh and the Grand Central in Glasgow - not good news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...iness-52923731
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:10 am

I can’t see them closing completely given the amount of money that’s been spent on the five of them recently, however they all have fairly extensive F&B operations which will probably be seriously affected for some time to come even when are allowed to open up so it was inevitable that this would happen.

Sadly I think we may see a few more operators doing this shortly as we move towards the changes to furlough and the employer having to contribute.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
The George only became an IHG hotel quite recently but has been a tired looking hotel for many years.

Still plenty decent IHG hotels in central Edinburgh
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Bloobell
The George only became an IHG hotel quite recently but has been a tired looking hotel for many years.

I stayed in it for one night just before Christmas and they were doing a fair bit of work on it. Half the rooms had already been done according the FD staff and they were in the process of ripping out the lifts. Not sure if the work is complete but some form of refurb was taking place.

Also on a slightly different subject but on IHG & Edinburgh the HI City West is to become an HIX later in the year.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Bloobell

Little surprised at your assessment. But of course each to their own opinion.

Spent a first class week there in Jan and in the main were impressed with the hotel, certainly the staff and management and their suites and RA polices.

No valet parking and it was a hike to stuff the car under JL. That was bad and last time I stopped there (ironically when it was previously an IC in 1990) they had a small car park round the back and valet park. That's gone now.

Breakfast service was insanely chaotic .... didn't have a working coffee machine can you believe? Staff were falling out with each other but product was in the main good.
Also the floor layout is clunky but that's age of the place in the main and never likely to change.

Suites were fresh and clean, well serviced. But no wine glasses? Strange. No club but they gave us 'all you can consume' cocktails and champagne in the bar there.

There were three weddings there the few days I was there. Had the suite above reception. I get the impression this is a solid part of their business.

Would be a shame if it were to shut but I don't see that. Location is too prime. It's grim for those being made redundant. But I think and hope that will turn around during the year.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Atacama40
Little surprised at your assessment. But of course each to their own opinion.

Spent a first class week there in Jan and in the main were impressed with the hotel, certainly the staff and management and their suites and RA polices.

No valet parking and it was a hike to stuff the car under JL. That was bad and last time I stopped there (ironically when it was previously an IC in 1990) they had a small car park round the back and valet park. That's gone now.

Breakfast service was insanely chaotic .... didn't have a working coffee machine can you believe? Staff were falling out with each other but product was in the main good.
Also the floor layout is clunky but that's age of the place in the main and never likely to change.

Suites were fresh and clean, well serviced. But no wine glasses? Strange. No club but they gave us 'all you can consume' cocktails and champagne in the bar there.

There were three weddings there the few days I was there. Had the suite above reception. I get the impression this is a solid part of their business.

Would be a shame if it were to shut but I don't see that. Location is too prime. It's grim for those being made redundant. But I think and hope that will turn around during the year.
Yes there was at least one wedding going on the night I stayed as well IIRC. It's never going to be best IC in the world but I didn't think it was too bad TBH.

I do think the new Voco that is opening should have been the IC and the IC the Voco though but I suppose thats all down to the owners.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
Yes there was at least one wedding going on the night I stayed as well IIRC. It's never going to be best IC in the world but I didn't think it was too bad TBH.

I do think the new Voco that is opening should have been the IC and the IC the Voco though but I suppose thats all down to the owners.
Didn't know a Voco was happening. Don't you think that's a little bit far out Chris? Don't know the layout so well mind.

Think the IC wins as it's walk out to nice places to dine within 3 mins in the evening. Can stumble back from Hawksmoor with ease.

Have to say, the weddings (one in particular) were quite a show .... bagpipes, tartan, the whole Scot show :-)
Old Jun 6, 2020, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Atacama40
Didn't know a Voco was happening. Don't you think that's a little bit far out Chris? Don't know the layout so well mind.

Think the IC wins as it's walk out to nice places to dine within 3 mins in the evening. Can stumble back from Hawksmoor with ease.

Have to say, the weddings (one in particular) were quite a show .... bagpipes, tartan, the whole Scot show :-)
It's a short walk to the West End and the newly extended conference centre along with a lot of the financial offices etc but for touristy stuff and dining yes The George is better placed due to the influx of options around St Andrews Sq & George St. When the planning permission was sought for the Voco a good few years now a five star hotel and an IC were mentioned in a few of the press cuttings for it. Voco hadn't even been launched at that point.

Yep the wedding you describe is very similar to the one when I was there. Wall to wall tartan and bagpipes were definitely on show
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:44 am

The Edinburgh Evening News are reporting that The George may not open until 2021 due to their reliance on conferences and weddings. 240+ jobs at The George according to the article and IHG not confirming anything at present.

The article is rather poorly written with spelling mistakes and the wrong location for the Crowne Plaza whilst it looks like they have already made one correction to it as they have mixed up the Crowne Plaza and the Indigo.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...n-year-2894461
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
How sad, hopefully the situation will improve soon.

We were booked there for pentacost 2020 but due to covid19 the hotel was pre-emptive to cancel our reservation and to provide a refund.
Email communication has been good.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
The Edinburgh Evening News are reporting that The George may not open until 2021 due to their reliance on conferences and weddings. 240+ jobs at The George according to the article and IHG not confirming anything at present.

The article is rather poorly written with spelling mistakes and the wrong location for the Crowne Plaza whilst it looks like they have already made one correction to it as they have mixed up the Crowne Plaza and the Indigo.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...n-year-2894461
... I hope they do open soon! I've just booked a night there at the end of July...

... guess I might be flipping to the Kimpton along the road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.