Wiki Posts
Search

Can you combine points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Can you combine points?

Hello there.
Is there a (free) method for combining IHG reward Club points, or else a way to use points from two accounts to pay for one booking?
Failing all of those, how convenient would it be to book 4 nights with points from one account, and then book a 5th night using points from the other account, and then somehow ensure all 5 nights are in the same room?
Is this going to be down to the good will of individual properties, or does anyone know if there is an actual policy that allows this scenario?

Essentially, I don't have enough points for a 5 night stay myself, but between myself and my partner combined, we do.
For reference, we would both be staying.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
No you cannot merge points or accounts. You can book rooms separately. IME you can stay in the same room unless the hotel is sold out of the room type in question (and your final night is booked as a different room type). It just takes 30 seconds in the morning to check out and check your companion in.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
I combined 4 diff 1-day reservations for same room type at Staybridge NYC by writing to hotel. The reservations were myself free night + award night and same for my wife, so 2 diff names. Did it a few times.
Aston100 and Brendan like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Book X nights from ine account then Y from the other and then email the hotel with the booking references asking to be kept in the same room

It will actually benefit the hotel to keep you in the same room.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Aston100
Hello there.
Is there a (free) method for combining IHG reward Club points, or else a way to use points from two accounts to pay for one booking?
Failing all of those, how convenient would it be to book 4 nights with points from one account, and then book a 5th night using points from the other account, and then somehow ensure all 5 nights are in the same room?
Is this going to be down to the good will of individual properties, or does anyone know if there is an actual policy that allows this scenario?

Essentially, I don't have enough points for a 5 night stay myself, but between myself and my partner combined, we do.
For reference, we would both be staying.

Thanks.
IHG allows transfer of points from one member to another (via Points.com interface on the IHG website), but it's $5 per 1,000 points. As mentioned by others though, there are usually better workarounds to use in order to avoid doing this.

Of course, if you had one of the newer IHG Chase credit cards (Premier or Traveler), you would get the Fourth Award Night Free benefit and then you wouldn't need to do in 2 separate bookings.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dadofsix
Of course, if you had one of the newer IHG Chase credit cards (Premier or Traveler), you would get the Fourth Award Night Free benefit and then you wouldn't need to do in 2 separate bookings.
Not familiar with this, so will assume this is not available in the UK.
I do have an IHG creation mastercard.
Redhead likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aston100
Not familiar with this, so will assume this is not available in the UK.
I do have an IHG creation mastercard.
In general, any time anybody on Flyertalk mentions a credit card - especially re. hotel chains - it will be about something only available to American residents.

The rare exceptions are often on the BA board, where British residents overwhelm the US-centric nature of FT...
Aston100 and Brendan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.