Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Flight Crew in IC San Diego Club InterContinental Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
the lounge (which is a public space, access is just restricted)
Oxymoron of the week.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:30 am

If I had a quid for every overheard BA crew conversation.....

It's hard to ignore and hey, you can learn a lot, a lot of it stuff you might not want to know.

Problem is it's not just club lounge and yes some hotels do allocate rooms but it's poolside as well. Poolside worse as they tend gaggle, drink and relax .... a little too much.

Poolside at IC Athens is a brilliant place pick up insane BA crew gossip you could not possibly make up .... it's impossible to ignore. Any conversation that involves the phrases; junior captain / Dusk till Dawn in HK, / drunken hooker / IC, taxi and hospital is impossible to ignore.

Mind is a difference between lying by folks telling each other war stories and being drowned out to that extent.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the crew are in uniform and behaving badly or annoying others, it reflects badly on their employer. They represent the airline whenever they're in uniform, including in hotel shuttle buses, in the airport, etc.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the crew are in uniform and behaving badly or annoying others, it reflects badly on their employer. They represent the airline whenever they're in uniform, including in hotel shuttle buses, in the airport, etc.
These lot were in Vilebrequin :-)

You have a point, if it wasn't for the fact that I've been doing this stuff far too long, I could be annoyed.

Is like my wife says on such matters ... is OK if you lucky enough be deep fried in 5 star travel and hotels by virtue of your work, but if you are the poor ... who has been saving three years take his/her partner for an anniversary or significant birthday or once in a lifetime trip then it would ruin for sure.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not sure what the complaint is about? Why was it relevant to mention, albeit unconvincingly, the airline? Surely it could have been solved by a quiet word "sorry chaps, could you keep it to a dull roar please, trying to have a quiet drink with my wife, thanks ever so much."
Since the OP has likely never been with a group of friends, having a drink and a chat that turned into more than one drink with an ever boisterous chat, he may not be familiar with what may be the appropriate initial etiquette for dealing with such a situation.

Putting someone's job at risk and asking for compensation would seem to be, IM(nsh)O just a tad extreme as an initial reaction. But what do I know.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
Oxymoron of the week.
my point, not made very well, is everyone in that space had the right to be there as decided by hotel management. It wasn’t the OP’s private area like their assigned room is.

I know I’ve been a little loud with my friends in the past and told to STFU and just toned it down a bit. These are leisure spots where it’s likely to happen and it’s not always a bad thing when it’s adds a bit of atmosphere but obviously this group took it too far. I’m not saying don’t complain I’m just saying no one owes anyone any compensation.

Last edited by TGLoyalty; Nov 9, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Zip_Silver

Think it out, 15 crew would be 8ish rooms per night, every night, f.

No it would be 15 rooms a night. BA crew do not share rooms.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No it would be 15 rooms a night. BA crew do not share rooms.
Even better for the hotel, that puts the price floor at $800,000. I would think that hotel management would try to kiss so much a** for the BA crew that even if OP had made a stink about it in the moment, they would have separated him from the crew, regardless of his status. He says that he's RA, but probably won't requalify next year. His spend at IC doesn't even come close to the airline contract. Staying on a huge corporate account really is the top tier secret status rewards status, no matter what hotel or airline you're traveling with.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Zip_Silver
Even better for the hotel, that puts the price floor at $800,000. I would think that hotel management would try to kiss so much a** for the BA crew that even if OP had made a stink about it in the moment, they would have separated him from the crew, regardless of his status. He says that he's RA, but probably won't requalify next year. His spend at IC doesn't even come close to the airline contract. Staying on a huge corporate account really is the top tier secret status rewards status, no matter what hotel or airline you're traveling with.
But I think large corporate account or not, crew very seldom receive upgrades and access to cub lounges. Indeed the rooms allocated to them can be the least attractive; and where a lounge is provided, it's generally a defined crew lounge.

At an IHG hotel used by crew, where I'm a regular, the pilots get the full lounge, cabin crew get a much less well catered space alongside it.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
My Experience

I have been in the lounge of the IC San Diego when the BA incoming crew were waiting for rooms. They were very loud as well and were drinking. But I did research what they were drinking and even though they were loud, obnoxious and over stayed their welcome they were actually drinking non alcoholic drinks. Maybe different from your experience, but just what I noted in September.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't understand the Flyertalk mentality that airline crew aren't human beings. The crew in question had some service issue, it stands to reason they were told they could wait in the lounge as we'd hope any customer would be granted the right to if there was something wrong with their room. Lounges aren't libraries, people sometimes make noise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.