Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG did not honor the “Guaranteed Room” claim posted on its website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

From the IHG website:

“Booking on IHG.com is the best way to guarantee your room. If for any reason your reservation cannot be honoured, IHG will provide you with a room and transportation to another convenient and comparable hotel. And, we’ll pay for the full cost of the first night’s lodging price, plus tax. Any advance deposit will be refunded to you”

My son will graduate next May and I am arranging hotels for myself and several extended family members. This is a high-demand event so on the day reservations opened I went to IHG.com and booked three rooms for one night at the Fort Montgomery, NY Holiday Inn Express for a total of 50,000 points and one Chase free night certificate. The cash price after taxes (jacked up for this graduation weekend) would have been over $800 per room.. Great deal, right?

Three weeks later, I got a call from the hotel saying there had been "a glitch in the system", the hotel was fully booked, and "the system" was going to cancel all three rooms and refund my points. I asked if there was anything they could do. Answer: nothing but refund my points. A few minutes after I hung up, I saw my reservations disappear and the 50,000 points reappear. The free night certificate did not reappear.

I researched the IHG Room Guarantee policy then filled out a help request form on the IHG Corporate website. It was supposed to go to “a member of our guest relations team" who would respond "as soon as possible (7-10 business days)". Two weeks later with no response I went back to the website and noticed that, since my question was about a reservation, it would have been routed to the (already unhelpful) hotel itself, not the IHG guest relations team. I also found out that the hotel was supposed to contact me "within 48 hours". Didn't happen. Now I am five weeks past when hotel reservations opened, and other hotels that were available then are no longer available.

Today I called IHG Corporate and after a 50-minute phone call (most of which I spent on hold), I got the Chase free night certificate refunded - but nothing else. I asked them to pay for another room at a comparable hotel in accordance with their room guarantee policy, but they said it was the hotel’s mistake, not IHG’s. I asked if there was anything at all they could do to make it up to me, but they didn't even throw me a bone with an offer of some extra points in my account for the inconvenience. I do not know if there was truly a “glitch” or if the hotel just canceled my three non-revenue rooms so they could take in another >$2,000 from paying customers. But either way:

- I booked on IHG.com
- IHG did not honor my reservation
- IHG did not do what their website guaranteed they would do if "for any reason" they could not honor my reservation.

I am a Platinum member for what it is worth (apparently not much).

Last edited by infrequentfly3r; Jul 11, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I think you hit the nail on the head with the hotel cancelling the non-rev rooms to earn an extra $2,000

It's nonsensical for IHG to say it's the hotels fault, not IHG's. It's their hotel chain is it not? They should fix the problem..
turner32 and Blackjackburger like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Wow, that is unacceptable. I hope you get some satisfactory resolution.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Please contact IHG executives with a short but direct note with all the pertinent details:
https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...nental-hotels/
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
1. No blackout days allowed for IHG hotels regards award nights, hotel still needed make 5% of rooms available.
2. The hotels load the inventory themselves, including the award night number of rooms, so is down to hotel , not IHG , ... (unless a fat finger made all rooms, all room cats open on awarsds which you would see at time you booked)
(You also got in first, as CC free night certs, whilst coming out of award night pool, are actually just a smaller subset, so even if award nights left you can't always use the cc freenight)
3. Hotel rooms get listed about 1year out, you sometimes see the hotels forget to boost roomrates on release day for a local event and correct within 1-7days.
4. Hotels have even have agreed to sell all rooms as a block/event booking and then cancelled in the past

The IHG Guaranteed booking should still apply whether book under BAR/Flex/Award rates. Once reason they cancel so far out, is the "Walk Protection" then supposedly needn't apply, unlike if they don't have a room on the day, or cancel < 2weelks out.

Most IHGers/people will suspect it is highly likely the hotel wants usd800/night cash, versus the pittance of usd60 that IHG usuually pays for points nights. However with that nights occupancy going to be soldout (ie > 95%), that pittance does not come into play, IHG will have to pay the full average daily rate of that days room rates, so even on award night hotek gets their usd800. As such hotel had no need to cancel award night over fear of losing usd600-700/night x3 = usd2k/night on your three award rooms
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by infrequentfly3r
I asked them to pay for another room at a comparable hotel in accordance with their room guarantee policy, but they said it was the hotel’s mistake, not IHG’s.
Even as a Spire member I hear this BS a lot. Just keep pushing. They need to fix it for you. They can take your points and cert, but they need to either put you back to the hotel or one at the comparable level (and with hot breakfast) nearby.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scubaccr
1. No blackout days allowed for IHG hotels regards award nights, hotel still needed make 5% of rooms available.
2. The hotels load the inventory themselves, including the award night number of rooms, so is down to hotel , not IHG , ... (unless a fat finger made all rooms, all room cats open on awarsds which you would see at time you booked)
(You also got in first, as CC free night certs, whilst coming out of award night pool, are actually just a smaller subset, so even if award nights left you can't always use the cc freenight)
3. Hotel rooms get listed about 1year out, you sometimes see the hotels forget to boost roomrates on release day for a local event and correct within 1-7days.
4. Hotels have even have agreed to sell all rooms as a block/event booking and then cancelled in the past

The IHG Guaranteed booking should still apply whether book under BAR/Flex/Award rates. Once reason they cancel so far out, is the "Walk Protection" then supposedly needn't apply, unlike if they don't have a room on the day, or cancel < 2weelks out.

Most IHGers/people will suspect it is highly likely the hotel wants usd800/night cash, versus the pittance of usd60 that IHG usuually pays for points nights. However with that nights occupancy going to be soldout (ie > 95%), that pittance does not come into play, IHG will have to pay the full average daily rate of that days room rates, so even on award night hotek gets their usd800. As such hotel had no need to cancel award night over fear of losing usd600-700/night x3 = usd2k/night on your three award rooms
If occupancy levels are so high surely they would get almost full revenue for the award nights?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
If occupancy levels are so high surely they would get almost full revenue for the award nights?
agreed, exacttly what i just said
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
As others have mentioned, the hotel should be indifferent to points or cash, given what they would get reimbursed for a high occupancy night at the Average Daily Rate. However, any hotel could decide that selling half of its rooms for $1000 per night to price insensitive parents is better than selling all of them for $300 or 400, so it might never reach the 95+% occupancy required.

For the OP, I would just book a flexible rate and watch availability like a hawk. Once you see the rates come down or award space pop up, you can cancel and rebook.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I have emailed the IHG - North America Director of Customer Experience as suggested above and am awaiting a reply.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, AA Gold
Ihg did not honor policy to pay for room if they bump me and haven’t answered cs emai

I hope this is the right thread; would love input on how to handle. only gold status on ihg so don’t get same treatment of the chains I usually stay with…
I had a confirmed (revenue; not points) reservation through ihg site for one night in holiday inn express mobile/saraland… city was almost sold out. Drove about 13 hours that day and that was my stopping place for the night. Arrived about 11 pm and frazzled clerk said “a bunch of people quilt today and the rooms aren’t cleaned so I gave your room to someone who had a reservation more in advance”. He wasn’t authorized to find and pay for a room elsewhere but “thought” another hi had a space and called 2 (they didn’t). It took 3 hours to finally find a tru by Hilton with one room available at rack rate but it was that or sleep in car as it was the only room I could find within an hour+ drive of the city. I
sent my original reservation screenshot, my receipt, and note of what happened to “[email protected]” over a week ago. Have received a survey about my guest relations experience and resolution but zero contact from them. Forwarded it again. their own policy is that they will pay for the room I had to go to and they were supposed to find it too- not simply cancel my reservation at 11 pm and send me on my way in a fully booked city. The clerk was frazzled and obviously with no authority, but I don’t feel I should have to do more calling or explaining- the data is all there, and I’m feeling ignored. It was just under $200 and extremely frustrating for 3 hours in middle of night after a 13 hour drive. I want to be compensated at the least. Any advice?
336 and turner32 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Originally Posted by kh2866
I hope this is the right thread; would love input on how to handle. only gold status on ihg so don’t get same treatment of the chains I usually stay with…
I had a confirmed (revenue; not points) reservation through ihg site for one night in holiday inn express mobile/saraland… city was almost sold out. Drove about 13 hours that day and that was my stopping place for the night. Arrived about 11 pm and frazzled clerk said “a bunch of people quilt today and the rooms aren’t cleaned so I gave your room to someone who had a reservation more in advance”. He wasn’t authorized to find and pay for a room elsewhere but “thought” another hi had a space and called 2 (they didn’t). It took 3 hours to finally find a tru by Hilton with one room available at rack rate but it was that or sleep in car as it was the only room I could find within an hour+ drive of the city. I
sent my original reservation screenshot, my receipt, and note of what happened to “[email protected]” over a week ago. Have received a survey about my guest relations experience and resolution but zero contact from them. Forwarded it again. their own policy is that they will pay for the room I had to go to and they were supposed to find it too- not simply cancel my reservation at 11 pm and send me on my way in a fully booked city. The clerk was frazzled and obviously with no authority, but I don’t feel I should have to do more calling or explaining- the data is all there, and I’m feeling ignored. It was just under $200 and extremely frustrating for 3 hours in middle of night after a 13 hour drive. I want to be compensated at the least. Any advice?
Well run properties have arrangements with other nearby properties for walks, and even the most junior front desk staff should have a backup Revenue Manager or FD supervisor on call who could assist with a walk. IMHO to property needs to step up and honor their committments.

I would send an email with attachments for all confirmations and your receipt to the property and request a credit for the night's stay, stay credit and points, and whatever you feel is reasonable compensation. i would also Google the local state's innkeeper rules. SOME REQUIRE a property walking a guest with a confirmed reservation to pay for the night's stay (as they should in any case) but if this is a state that requires it, so stating should elicit a prompt response.

I always try to start any service recovery with the property, they not only have the most skin in the game (online reviews) but in many cases, despite being under a franchise flag, they need to initiate many comps.

A simple, clear and direct email to the property GM or Revenue Manager, with specific and reasonable requests, in my experience, is likely to be met with a satisfactory and reasonable response.

My 2 Cents
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by thecoldhandoftechnology
Well run properties have arrangements with other nearby properties for walks, and even the most junior front desk staff should have a backup Revenue Manager or FD supervisor on call who could assist with a walk. IMHO to property needs to step up and honor their committments.

I would send an email with attachments for all confirmations and your receipt to the property and request a credit for the night's stay, stay credit and points, and whatever you feel is reasonable compensation. i would also Google the local state's innkeeper rules. SOME REQUIRE a property walking a guest with a confirmed reservation to pay for the night's stay (as they should in any case) but if this is a state that requires it, so stating should elicit a prompt response.

I always try to start any service recovery with the property, they not only have the most skin in the game (online reviews) but in many cases, despite being under a franchise flag, they need to initiate many comps.

A simple, clear and direct email to the property GM or Revenue Manager, with specific and reasonable requests, in my experience, is likely to be met with a satisfactory and reasonable response.

My 2 Cents
thanks. Contacted ihg and after 2 answers they’re offering me 15k points- not even the number required to stay at that hotel and I’m out about 50-60% more than it would have cost to have my reservation honored and 3 hours calling all over in middle of night and going to hotel the FD clerk said to go to, with no room. Ihg agrees RE policy but says they won’t honor their policy bc I didn’t stay at an ihg property. I tried!!! regardless it was their responsibility to get me a room; not send me away in the middle of the night to fend for myself with a confirmed reservation (I’m only gold if that matters).
will try the hotel directly but am sorely disappointed with the horrid customer service of this brand. Franchisor (IHG) should care about the brand standards being upheld but apparently they don’t. I’m not even asking for anything other than my room to be covered which is the easy calculation of their guarantee.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
thanks. Contacted ihg and after 2 answers they’re offering me 15k points- not even the number required to stay at that hotel and I’m out about 50-60% more than it would have cost to have my reservation honored and 3 hours calling all over in middle of night and going to hotel the FD clerk said to go to, with no room. Ihg agrees RE policy but says they won’t honor their policy bc I didn’t stay at an ihg property. I tried!!! regardless it was their responsibility to get me a room; not send me away in the middle of the night to fend for myself with a confirmed reservation (I’m only gold if that matters).
will try the hotel directly but am sorely disappointed with the horrid customer service of this brand. Franchisor (IHG) should care about the brand standards being upheld but apparently they don’t. I’m not even asking for anything other than my room to be covered which is the easy calculation of their guarantee.
I would keep escalating this one. General manager of the hotel should take care of this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Ihg agrees RE policy but says they won’t honor their policy bc I didn’t stay at an ihg property. I tried!!!
This doesn't make any sense at all. You were walked (without the guaranteed compensation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.