Wiki Posts
Search

No more executive lounge in Holiday Inns Greater China

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

No more executive lounge in Holiday Inns Greater China

As people frequently travel to greater China and Asia may know that executive lounge is a must in Holiday Inns. Or was a standard set up.

But since 2 years ago there were rumours that newly built Holiday Inns would forego executive lounge in the region. The reason behind it is that IHG wants Holiday Inn brand standard to be universal. And there is no reason to have executive lounges in Holiday Inn as most likely there will be a Crowne Plaza in the same city, which is better suited to offer a lounge.

However, the reality is that some of the newly built Holiday Inns continue to offer lounges, either by design or market force. While there are plenty are built without a lounge.

But, the trend recently showing in many Holiday Inns in this region is that majority are changing by getting away with a dedicated Executive lounge.

What is common or will become a common practise is to offering Executive guests a set menu in the lobby bar as snacks and few drinks, for those hotels used to offer a lounge and continued to sell executive rooms.. However, this practise will slowly be phased out once majority of the Holiday Inns in the region had made the transition.

Although I can not tell what will exactly happen and when, but one thing is for sure: Executive lounge will slowly become a rare sight in Holiday Inns in the Asia and Southeast Asia region.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps China...

But in the rest of Asia (or the world) I've never come across a Holiday Inn with an executive lounge and would never expect one. Which isn't to say there aren't a handful of examples, but there is no reason for a thread warning of their disappearance.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Perhaps China...

But in the rest of Asia (or the world) I've never come across a Holiday Inn with an executive lounge and would never expect one. Which isn't to say there aren't a handful of examples, but there is no reason for a thread warning of their disappearance.
There are plenty old and new Holiday Inns in Southeast Asia have executive lounges:
Holiday Inn Silom Bangkok
Holiday Inn Bangkok
Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit
Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard City Centre
Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium
Holiday Inn Kuala Lumpur Glenmarie
Holiday Inn Melaka

In fact the only Holiday Inn in Southeast Asia that does not have Executive Club lounges are Holiday Inn Resorts locations.

Of course there is the need to warn fellow FTers. China is the second biggest market for IHG after the USA. Please do not let your own circumstances limit other people's scope.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao

Of course there is the need to warn fellow FTers. China is the second biggest market for IHG after the USA. Please do not let your own circumstances limit other people's scope.
Why do you want me to list all of the Holiday Inns in Asia WITHOUT an executive lounge and get into an argument about it?

And China isn't the second biggest market for English speakers who participate on Flyertalk.

You made the point yourself. People expect lounges at CPs and they don't at HIs.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:58 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Add Dubai to the list:
https://www.hialbarshadubai.com/dini...ub-lounge.html

Shame they are not growing, Macau now is void of one. And it’s interesting to compare chains when you are bed hopping, such as Sheraton vs IHG at Sands Cotai, chalk and cheese when it comes elite treatment despite paying same rate at both brands, one gets you a suite and club access as well as dining discounts, other one gets you a smaller normal room and two welcome drinks.....
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

And China isn't the second biggest market for English speakers who participate on Flyertalk.
This is just purely offensive, xenophobia and racism. And what is this statement having to do with this thread, IHG or even the forum? I hope the MOD will take action for this very unnecessary remark.

Yes, if you care to list all the Holiday Inns in Asia without executive lounges you are welcome. Please emit any Holiday Inn Resorts locations as they are not designed to have a lounge from the beginning.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

@markis10The old Holiday Inn in Macau still have Executive Club lounge. The new 'resort' Holiday Inn near the Sands unfortunately does not have one.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:29 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
@markis10The old Holiday Inn in Macau still have Executive Club lounge. The new 'resort' Holiday Inn near the Sands unfortunately does not have one.
No it closed August 2017, I had a club room with no club! And it was not a rewards stay.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

@markis10That is sad. I have not been back for few years! The hotel is still advertising Executive Club room with lounge in its rate description however:
Originally Posted by Holiday Inn Macau
UPGRADE TO A CLUB RM AND ENJOY THE CLUB BENEFITS. INDULGE IN AN INCL BFAST AND EVENING COCKTAIL AT THE CLUB LOUNGE. OUR CLUB RM OFFER A FRESH UNCLUTTERED AND RE:AXING SPACE...
Did they offer a set menu in lobby bar instead for evening drinks and snacks? It seems that is the current offering in several Holiday Inns recently I have been that is getting rid of the Club Lounges.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:33 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I definitely think this is a topic worthy of its own thread because it's regarding a change in brand standards for a certain IHG flag within a certain region.

As a US-based traveler, I was under the impression that most China and Southeast Asia non-resort HIs DID have executive lounges, as brand standards are different in that part of the world (even Courtyards, which are select service in the US and Europe, often have lounges in Asia), so this new development is news to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.