Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Dubai Advice Needed

Headed to Dubai for a few nights on our way back from Seychelles. It will be my family (myself, wife, and two boys 12 and 13), plus my in laws (healthy mid 70's). We are landing around noonish and will stay in the city for at least one, maybe two nights, and then head to Atlantis for 2 nights.
Which IHG property would you suggest to be in the middle of the tourist area? Also, which hotels will allow 3 people in a room for booking?

Any and all advice is welcome!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
As far as "Old Dubai" ... Downtown Dubai HI is the closest, and on the other side of the river, the Embassy District HI.
As far as the brand new Marina area, the palm, etc., the IC Marina.
But this is not at all a walking city, even when it isn't swelteringly-hot. Any of them can work. The good news is Uber is not that expensive, so go on price, and spend $20 a day on Ubers.
Rates fluctuate a lot. Right now I see the IC Festival City cheaper than the CP, for example. Go on price. The ICs are quite nice but the restaurants can be exorbitant.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
IC Marina is definitely the best of the lot

most of the other IHG properties in Dubai are weak IMO, except for Festival City IC and Crowne Plaza (but both are far from almost everything but the airport)
bsdstone likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:54 am

I like the Festival City IC.
Very convenient from/to airport. Use Uber during the stay. It is connected to a big mall with lots of restaurants. Nice pool.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Very convenient from/to airport. Use Uber during the stay. It is connected to a big mall with lots of restaurants. Nice pool.
what would an uber cost from Festival City IC to the tourist areas...like Burj al khalifa?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
As far as "Old Dubai" ... Downtown Dubai HI is the closest, and on the other side of the river, the Embassy District HI.
As far as the brand new Marina area, the palm, etc., the IC Marina.
But this is not at all a walking city, even when it isn't swelteringly-hot. Any of them can work. The good news is Uber is not that expensive, so go on price, and spend $20 a day on Ubers.
Rates fluctuate a lot. Right now I see the IC Festival City cheaper than the CP, for example. Go on price. The ICs are quite nice but the restaurants can be exorbitant.
Are the HI properties decent? In my limited exposure to them here in the states, they have been pretty dreadful.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
an Uber from IC Festival City to the Burj would cost >AED 50 ($14)

the problem with other lesser IHG properties IMO is the they allow people to smoke and in turn are dreadful as well

some people prefer the Crowne over the IC at Festival City

if you actually want to walk around, the IC Marina is best but the whole area is all new
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by #1son
an Uber from IC Festival City to the Burj would cost >AED 50 ($14)

the problem with other lesser IHG properties IMO is the they allow people to smoke and in turn are dreadful as well

some people prefer the Crowne over the IC at Festival City

if you actually want to walk around, the IC Marina is best but the whole area is all new
Smoking hotels is a deal killer for me...thanks for the heads up!

I'll investigate the Crowne and IC at Festival city as well as the IC Marina!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Agree, Festival City club lounge has always been excellent to us, they treat RA's extremely well, upgrades are predictable, management and staff are super responsive, get free airport pick up with club rooms and generally go more than the extra mile. Concierge also probably the most hard working at any IC I've ever stayed at. Can't go wrong at Festival City
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
OT: Have you considered the Park Hyatt? One of my favorite properties in Dubai. Good location, close to the airport, downtown and DIFC. Plus shopping in walking distance. Very relaxing atmosphere at the creek.

Would avoid both HI in the old part of the city, Downtown and Embassy District. Rather old properties, rooms feel dark and area is not very nice.

Best choice IMO is the IC Festival (they have large suites, this may be a good option with kids). CP Festival shares the same facilities and is similar, though slightly inferior in terms of service and F&B.
As RA would always choose IC, otherwise you may choose based on pricing. Sometimes rates at the IC hit the roof...
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Does the Crowne Plaza still have the 'bar scene' it once did?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sultanbinaber
OT: Have you considered the Park Hyatt? One of my favorite properties in Dubai. Good location, close to the airport, downtown and DIFC. Plus shopping in walking distance. Very relaxing atmosphere at the creek.

Would avoid both HI in the old part of the city, Downtown and Embassy District. Rather old properties, rooms feel dark and area is not very nice.

Best choice IMO is the IC Festival (they have large suites, this may be a good option with kids). CP Festival shares the same facilities and is similar, though slightly inferior in terms of service and F&B.
As RA would always choose IC, otherwise you may choose based on pricing. Sometimes rates at the IC hit the roof...
Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to burn my IHG points...left Hyatt after the changes they made and only have a few thousand points left. Think we're actually going to book the Crowne Plaza festival city as we won't be in the hotel much and it's only for a night before heading to Atlantis.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I’ve always wanted to go to Atlantis! Problem is, I have absolutely no idea where it is or how to find it!

How is the HIX near the airport? I thought it might do for a very late arrival. As for HI Festival City, am I right in thinking that they don’t have an airport shuttle?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Concerto
I’ve always wanted to go to Atlantis! Problem is, I have absolutely no idea where it is or how to find it!

How is the HIX near the airport? I thought it might do for a very late arrival. As for HI Festival City, am I right in thinking that they don’t have an airport shuttle?
AFAIK the HIX is the only IHG hotel with a shuttle. It's a fresh, "new" property - not too far to walk to the metro, so it's not such a bad option for more than an airport stay, if the price is right. And if we are not talking mid-summer...

Festival City is in an awkward position, unless you need or want to be in the area.

Prices in Dubai fluctuate a lot among hotels. So particular recommendations can price themselves out of your range, while others come into it. If you are sensitive to price, but you want to stay with IHG,then your best bets are the airport HIX and the HI Bur Dubai or HI Downtown. Of the two HIs, Bur Dubai is nicer, though I prefer Downtown for its location in Deira.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I found Downtown a bit insalubrious, with what were visibly call girls in the bar area and out of date worn rooms. The people who worked in the hotel were very friendly, though.

I was wondering about HI Barsha ... or is it a HIX? No real need to stick with IHG in the absence of an Accelerate promotion, so I might go for one of the downtown Hilton properties (but not the Conrad).

Last edited by Concerto; Aug 14, 2018 at 10:19 pm Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.