Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Holiday Inn Overrated

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rbAA
You're definitely staying in the wrong ones. There have been a few that are worn and faded, but most of the HI's I've stayed in, including the ones in the US, have been upgraded, are comfortable and priced right. Obviously, the Asian HI's are much better, some even approaching 5* level, OK Chinese properties where it's form over substance.

Over rated? It depends on what you like.
HIs can be OK - I was exaggerating for humour in a relatively silly thread - but I have yet to find a decent HI in Asia or elsewhere where I couldn't walk down the street and stay at a Hyatt, Starwood, Marriott or Hilton and get much better status benefits, hard product, service etc. at the same price point.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
IMO, the free breakfast at HI makes it better than HIX.
I think you mean the other way around. Usually I find the HIX breakfast offerings to be inedible so I actually prefer HI - if I decide to stump up for breakfast at an HI there's a chance I might be able to eat it without wanting to barf.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
HIs can be OK - I was exaggerating for humour in a relatively silly thread - but I have yet to find a decent HI in Asia or elsewhere where I couldn't walk down the street and stay at a Hyatt, Starwood, Marriott or Hilton and get much better status benefits, hard product, service etc. at the same price point.
Not in Beijing - tried to find ok rates for hotels there and HI and CP were just cheap - Marriott is asking for at least 40% more. I'd rather stay at a Marriott but the price difference was simply too big.

A very run down example of a HI in Europe is HI Hamburg - it's an ugly building right by the Elbe bridge, fortunately they do treat Plats well and we got to upgrade to their nicest rooms which helped A LOT.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:11 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
OK, so now I know you're trying to be funny. I can think of dozens of HI in China and throughout Asia that don't fit that. #1 on the list is the HI Nantong, as there are no SPG, Hyatt, Marriott or Hiltons (though they were supposed to build one) there. It's a 4* (they purposely declined a 5* rating as that would have restricted gov't officials from using the property for their parties and other gatherings.) And, I paid an average of US$70 often less, usually getting a suite and free breakfast (which was excellent especially by Chinese standards, your quantity over quality standard,) plus lounge access with guests. In Shanghai, the HI's are not so good, but very much lower price points than the competition to compensate for that. But, my favorite low cost alternative in Shanghai is the HIX Zhabei near the north train station. Usually CNY323 and a decent breakfast as they have an egg and a noodle station, as well as fresh Chinese "pancakes." I usually get a suite and while the rooms look out onto the railroad tracks, there is little noise. Of course, my usual SPG choice was the Sheraton Hongqiao but that's since reflagged. In Nanjing, when I wasn't staying at the IC, the HI Aqua City was convenient and quite nice for about US$70 or less. Even if I had to pay for breakfast, it came in much lower than the Sheraton or the Westin (often, the Westin is less expensive that the Sheraton.) In Beijing, with the GW "gone" from the SPG program, HI's are decent, plentiful and reasonably priced, even if you have to pay for breakfast. Phuket in Thailand, my favorite is Mai Khao beach HIR at about half the price of the SPG, MR, or Hyatt properties, and much nicer (quieter) beach area. I get about 50% off the breakfast, so it still comes in lower. In Bangkok, the HI Silom has a good lounge and they will make you anything you want, fresh and delivered to your table. Convenient to the BTS and a great price point, even paying up to get lounge access, compared to the Royal Orchid, which granted is on the river. Though, walking distances? OK

I could go on, but well you get the point. I agree, the SPG and Hyatt's are in many ways preferable, and offer the full range of benefits, but I always factor the costs of those into my decision..As I said, it depends on what you like.

Last edited by rbAA; Nov 24, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I think you are keeping up with exaggeration From a recent trip I'd highlight Bangkok and Jakarta as Asian cities with pretty good, well-priced Holiday Inns. There may be others ...

But by and large, and outside that region, you are spot on: HI is not exactly the aspirational brand its pricing suggests.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by rbAA
OK, so now I know you're trying to be funny. I can think of dozens of HI in China and throughout Asia that don't fit that. #1 on the list is the HI Nantong, as there are no SPG, Hyatt, Marriott or Hiltons (though they were supposed to build one) there. It's a 4* (they purposely declined a 5* rating as that would have restricted gov't officials from using the property for their parties and other gatherings.) And, I paid an average of US$70 often less, usually getting a suite and free breakfast (which was excellent especially by Chinese standards, your quantity over quality standard,) plus lounge access with guests. In Shanghai, the HI's are not so good, but very much lower price points than the competition to compensate for that. But, my favorite low cost alternative in Shanghai is the HIX Zhabei near the north train station. Usually CNY323 and a decent breakfast as they have an egg and a noodle station, as well as fresh Chinese "pancakes." I usually get a suite and while the rooms look out onto the railroad tracks, there is little noise. Of course, my usual SPG choice was the Sheraton Hongqiao but that's since reflagged. In Nanjing, when I wasn't staying at the IC, the HI Aqua City was convenient and quite nice for about US$70 or less. Even if I had to pay for breakfast, it came in much lower than the Sheraton or the Westin (often, the Westin is less expensive that the Sheraton.) In Beijing, with the GW "gone" from the SPG program, HI's are decent, plentiful and reasonably priced, even if you have to pay for breakfast. Phuket in Thailand, my favorite is Mai Khao beach HIR at about half the price of the SPG, MR, or Hyatt properties, and much nicer (quieter) beach area. I get about 50% off the breakfast, so it still comes in lower. In Bangkok, the HI Silom has a good lounge and they will make you anything you want, fresh and delivered to your table. Convenient to the BTS and a great price point, even paying up to get lounge access, compared to the Royal Orchid, which granted is on the river. Though, walking distances? OK

I could go on, but well you get the point. I agree, the SPG and Hyatt's are in many ways preferable, and offer the full range of benefits, but I always factor the costs of those into my decision..As I said, it depends on what you like.
Tried only one HIX in China - Lo Wu (SZ) - What I do notice is that in Asia there's a hardware difference between between higher and lower brands IHG hotels (only did more Brands with Marriotts - poor reviews of CP put me away from staying with them in the US. In the hotels I stayed in China, CP is definitely nicer than HI - bigger rooms, nicer beddings, HI are nice with very ok size rooms (not US sizes but very good sizes), HIX is smaller size, not so comfortable bed and very limited breakfast (I love it but it's not catered to Westerners).

In the US - I love HIX (the beds are just as nice as HIs - and the free breakfast is a great thing if you are travelling with kids).

HI Silom is nice too - the rooms are huge - personally I like it more than the Courtyard.

In Shanghai, try the Marriott hotels, now they are with SPG they really have a lot of properties at the very decent prices - last time I was there it's not even worth it to use 10k points to redeem a night as the cash price is lower.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:46 am
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

I don't remember doing a Holiday Inn, and I never did HIX-but my parents have (they stayed at an HIX in Asheville back in late 2012). HIX is on the level of a Hampton and Fairfield.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
I don't remember doing a Holiday Inn, and I never did HIX-but my parents have (they stayed at an HIX in Asheville back in late 2012). HIX is on the level of a Hampton and Fairfield.
Yes, but HIXs are often newer and more predictable than HI (at least in the US). I will opt for an HIX 9 times out of 10 when both are available. Holiday Inns pretend to be full service hotels but they have a lot of issues. They have a full breakfast but service is slow. Rooms can go un-renovated for years. Carpets have stains. No one is available to help you with luggage. There tends to be lots of kids. All reasons to give them a pass.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think you are keeping up with exaggeration From a recent trip I'd highlight Bangkok and Jakarta as Asian cities with pretty good, well-priced Holiday Inns. There may be others ...

But by and large, and outside that region, you are spot on: HI is not exactly the aspirational brand its pricing suggests.
At this point I'm amusing myself watching people trying to defend the Holiday Inn brand by citing a handful of hotels in Asia. Every hotel chain is better in Asia, as are elite status benefits.

But there are so many nasty 50+ year old Holiday Inns across Europe and North America that the brand does have serious issues. Even the most loyal IHG guest would consider trading down to a HIX (knowing what you'll get) or trade up to a CP (probably better) rather than booking a standard HI without confirmation (FT, Tripadvisor, etc.) that it is one of the decent ones.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
You’ll find similar complaints about full service Marriotts and Hiltons in other sub forums here- tired properties, overpriced for what you get, etc.- and I tend to think it’s more a mid level full service hotel issue than a HI problem. Below the luxury level, property age plays a huge factor in terms of how well people rate it, and the limited service brands, whether HIX or Hampton, were built closer to modern needs and are showing less wear and tear than 50 year old intermittently refreshed full service peers. I’m typing this from a new ‘Blue’ HIX in Florida where the desk lamp base has a built in converter for EU/UK plugs- the sort of modern needs brand standard that IHG can force for that kind of new property but getting the buy in from HI owners for retrofits is a different story
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
At this point I'm amusing myself watching people trying to defend the Holiday Inn brand by citing a handful of hotels in Asia. Every hotel chain is better in Asia, as are elite status benefits.

But there are so many nasty 50+ year old Holiday Inns across Europe and North America that the brand does have serious issues. Even the most loyal IHG guest would consider trading down to a HIX (knowing what you'll get) or trade up to a CP (probably better) rather than booking a standard HI without confirmation (FT, Tripadvisor, etc.) that it is one of the decent ones.
You misunderstand me. I'm not defending anyone or anything, certainly not standing up for a hotel chain!

You claimed not to know any good HI in Asia: I simply pointed out two that stand out as excellent quality accommodation at a good price. For all i know all the other Asia HI are dogs.

Oddly, the CPs in Jakarta and Bangkok are not generally a first-choice: either shabby (Jakarta) or mean with upgrades (both).
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
As with most hotel brands there is a very wide range of quality for want of a better word. Some are poor, some are fantastic. For some the quality appears to have no relationship to the room rates (some for better and some for worst).
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:49 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
So, you started this "relatively rediculous" thread out of some morbid curiosity?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:00 pm

That's true, but they are getting around to renovating or kicking them out, so it's getting better. Well, except the one in Charleston, SC, an old round one that appears to have been forgotten about. My Accelerate promo had a thing for staying at 4 HI's, so I tried a new one-HI Fayetteville, NC-on my Florida drive in from RDU, and it was one of the better ones. I was concerned as it's right on I-95, and I seldom believe the ratings these hotels claim to get, since it seems thay can weed out the poor reviews. And, did my trusted standbys: HI Irvine, CA, HI St Augustine, and HIR Daytona Beach (which is an older property but well maintained) and the oceanview is always great no matter how the room might look.

I don't mind staying at the HIX's though the breakfast is seldom edible and definitely unhealthy. They are very uniform and seldom find one that is in need of renov.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Does anyone know if Holiday Inn is overrated?
I grew up thinking HI was garbage. Now that I stay at the brand from time to time I find they are far better than garbage, thus I find them underrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.