Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convince me not to cancel the IHG card, please?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Convince me not to cancel the IHG card, please?

Got the IHG card earlier this year, both out of 5/24 fear and also because it really seemed like a solid deal - a night at any IHG property for $49 annual fee. Then I started actually staying at IHG properties, and the blush is kinda off the rose. I'm a Hyatt loyalist and really enjoy Regency, Grand, Andaz, etc. properties.

I've now stayed at 3 Crowne Plazas, and I'm not impressed at all. Pittsburgh South Hills, Anchorage, and Portland Downtown. They all were like crummier versions of an old Hyatt Regency to me.

Then I just blew, in the truest sense of the word, 50k IHG points at the Intercontinental San Juan, expecting a higher level of property. This place sucked in a variety of ways (if you're interested, read my review in that thread).

Is this what I have to look forward to? Because I would not pay even $49 to stay in any of those 4 properties. I'd much rather do a Hyatt in the same cities (well, not Anchorage) for Points+Cash and get stay credit and Diamond benefits.

My plan for the card next year was going to be to use the annual free night at one of the following:

IC Mark Hopkins in SF
IC Times Square
Indigo Brooklyn
Indigo Nashville

Am I just going to be disappointed again, though? If so, I'm jettisoning this card. What do we think the chances are that Kimptons will be available next year to book on the annual night? I actually do enjoy those properties.

I do not travel internationally, so I'm not interested in using the night at any property outside the US, where I'm sure there is value to be had.

Looking for someone with more IHG experience so that I don't hold on to this card and regret it.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
With the UK card you have to spend £10,000 on the card to get the free night, can't see what you're complaining about!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
if it isn't worth it for you, don't keep it.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
With the UK card you have to spend £10,000 on the card to get the free night, can't see what you're complaining about!
...and pay £99 to start with!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Shrug. $49 to spend on anything is nice. A pre-paid hotel room valued from $59 to $900 is nice.

I used a night at IC Boston last year. That probably covers a few years' fees even if I don't use the night. I'm sure some friend, or relative will get married near a HIX most years though.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
Yeah, it must be rough to constantly read about the orgy of free stuff credit card companies in America lavish upon those of us with high credit scores.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
I used mine at the Intercontinental San Francisco this year. Good property and I got a corner view suite out of it with superb views.

I've also stayed at the Mark Hopkins and that is an older property. Has more charm but definitely needs a reno if you care about that stuff. So...just a warning.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I love the Mark Hopkins location, but I probably wouldn't be happy there, and I'd be dreaming about eating in the HR SF lounge the whole time.

Specifically, anyone have experiences with the Indigo brand? Are they closer to an Andaz or a Hyatt Place/Aloft? I'm guessing the latter. Also, how about the new "Even" brand. I see there's one of those in Brooklyn now as well.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Jun 2, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:32 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I think the reason Chase/IHG are able to offer such a lucrative renewal free night (no category or day of week restrictions, compared to cards for Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott) is precisely because such a high percentage of the domestic US portfolio consists of more downmarket properties... I'd bet for every FT member who redeems for an international Intercontinental, there are multiple cardholders who redeem at a US HI or a HIX where the internal reimbursement rate is probably less than $20.

A domestic Crowne Plaza is rarely going to match a domestic Hyatt, and Evens/Indigos are going to be more comparable to Alofts.

That being said, I'd think that a $49 prepaid night can be pretty valuable to have sitting around when you don't want to pay the going rate or your preferred hotels are sold out for awards. Sometimes you just need a place to crash for the night.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
nineworldseries,

I love my IHG card and I love IHG. I think the value is there in the rewards program and def in the card but I stay at Holiday Inns and base my travel arrangements around Tripadvisor so I think you and I may have different taste. Sounds to me that you need to stick with Hyatt and get on board with SPG.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Got the IHG card earlier this year, both out of 5/24 fear and also because it really seemed like a solid deal - a night at any IHG property for $49 annual fee. Then I started actually staying at IHG properties, and the blush is kinda off the rose. I'm a Hyatt loyalist and really enjoy Regency, Grand, Andaz, etc. properties.

I've now stayed at 3 Crowne Plazas, and I'm not impressed at all. Pittsburgh South Hills, Anchorage, and Portland Downtown. They all were like crummier versions of an old Hyatt Regency to me.

Then I just blew, in the truest sense of the word, 50k IHG points at the Intercontinental San Juan, expecting a higher level of property. This place sucked in a variety of ways (if you're interested, read my review in that thread).

Is this what I have to look forward to? Because I would not pay even $49 to stay in any of those 4 properties. I'd much rather do a Hyatt in the same cities (well, not Anchorage) for Points+Cash and get stay credit and Diamond benefits.

My plan for the card next year was going to be to use the annual free night at one of the following:

IC Mark Hopkins in SF
IC Times Square
Indigo Brooklyn
Indigo Nashville

Am I just going to be disappointed again, though? If so, I'm jettisoning this card. What do we think the chances are that Kimptons will be available next year to book on the annual night? I actually do enjoy those properties.

I do not travel internationally, so I'm not interested in using the night at any property outside the US, where I'm sure there is value to be had.

Looking for someone with more IHG experience so that I don't hold on to this card and regret it.
Stop chasing only supposedly higher-end brands. First, consult reviews, don't just make assumptions based on the brand name. Second, look into Staybridge Suites; the rooms (all suites) are likely to be much nicer, the food is free (no paid restaurant), but the consistency tends to be much better than at some of the supposedly "higher" IHG brands.

You may not get as much supposed "value" (on paper) using a $49 cert for a $350 hotel (Staybridge Suites Times Square) as for a hotel that costs twice as much (but has seen its better days), but who cares? As long as you get a nice hotel that would cost more than $49, who cares what the cash cost would have been?

There may be other "newer" brands that other people could suggest if you like Andaz, but I've not tried most of IHG's 'newer" brands yet (they're not located where I stay the most often).
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Stop chasing only supposedly higher-end brands. First, consult reviews, don't just make assumptions based on the brand name. Second, look into Staybridge Suites; the rooms (all suites) are likely to be much nicer, the food is free (no paid restaurant), but the consistency tends to be much better than at some of the supposedly "higher" IHG brands.
Thanks - that's helpful. I never really considered Staybridge before - in my mind I kinda lumped them into the Residence Inn/TownePlace Suites category.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Silver,UA,IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Yeah, I love the Mark Hopkins location, but I probably wouldn't be happy there, and I'd be dreaming about eating in the HR SF lounge the whole time.

Specifically, anyone have experiences with the Indigo brand? Are they closer to an Andaz or a Hyatt Place/Aloft? I'm guessing the latter. Also, how about the new "Even" brand. I see there's one of those in Brooklyn now as well.
Indigo is basically HIX with more art, in my limited experience (Berlin/Austin).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by akhill
Indigo is basically HIX with more art, in my limited experience (Berlin/Austin).
No way is it a HIX, I've stayed in a few in the UK and you can not compare them with a HIX.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:46 am

I admit to not particularly valuing luxury, but I have gotten good use of these free IHG card certs, all at properties over $200 not inc tax, and very satisfactory stays

Clifton Park NY HIE
Frankfurt Intercontinental
London/Southwark HIE
Munising MI HIE

Hyatt Place is a wannbe HIE in my limited experience, I never look forward to a Hyatt Place stay.

Staybridge: some rooms are studios and some hotels are entirely rooms of studios. Usually better than Residence Inn (since a lot of those are run down and the evening receptions are lighter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.