Search

Basic Ambassador membership question

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Basic Ambassador membership question

I am sorry to ask such a simple question to some may consider it silly.

If I pay the US$200 or so to become an Ambassador member is that all I need to do to get a supposed room upgrade each stay. Or, do I need to reach a certain tier before that kicks in.

Thank you.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:25 am
Suspended

Yes, "guaranteed room upgrade" is one of the Ambassador benefits.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsk1973
Yes, "guaranteed room upgrade" is one of the Ambassador benefits.
It is worth joining then. I'm looking at the Intercontinental Honk Kong and the the next room category from what I am booked in for is another AUD$2000 in total for 9 nights. $200 is a bargain then.

Of course despite the saying guaranteed room upgrade I am sure there are always times when things go wrong
Old May 4, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
It is worth joining then. I'm looking at the Intercontinental Honk Kong and the the next room category from what I am booked in for is another AUD$2000 in total for 9 nights. $200 is a bargain then.

Of course despite the saying guaranteed room upgrade I am sure there are always times when things go wrong
The guaranteed room upgrade is pretty guaranteed there is the odd occasion where a property is genuinely sold out of the next category well ahead of the stay and properties will typically as a minimum give the rate difference back between the room that you booked and the next category down.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The guaranteed room upgrade is pretty guaranteed there is the odd occasion where a property is genuinely sold out of the next category well ahead of the stay and properties will typically as a minimum give the rate difference back between the room that you booked and the next category down.
That's good to hear.

I just signed up.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:12 am

Only applies to ICs.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Everyone should note that not all room categories are bookable online. Many hotels have room categories for 'upgrade' purposes, which meet the 1-level upgrade.

Specialty Suites are excluded from the 'upgrade' as noted in the T&Cs.

mxm135
Old May 5, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MXM135
Everyone should note that not all room categories are bookable online. Many hotels have room categories for 'upgrade' purposes, which meet the 1-level upgrade.

Specialty Suites are excluded from the 'upgrade' as noted in the T&Cs.

mxm135
I did notice that about the specialty suites. I always book the room I am happy to stay in in case I don't get upgraded.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
I'm having that issue with an upcoming stay at IC Malta.

I booked one level below Club on the assumption I would be upgraded to a Club room but when I asked them for confirmation they said I would be upgraded to a 'Superior' room, a category not available online.

They've told me I can have Club Lounge access for 70 Euro's per day

I have to say I'm really unhappy at what feels like a con and am seriously considering changing Hotels
Old May 5, 2016, 10:35 am
Suspended

You didn't really expect to get a year of club access for a one-time $200 fee, did you?
Old May 5, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
How long does it take for my status to be reflected on their website? I just paid the $200 to join and my credit card has been charged but the website still has me as a lowly club member.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by Bloobell
I'm having that issue with an upcoming stay at IC Malta.

I booked one level below Club on the assumption I would be upgraded to a Club room but when I asked them for confirmation they said I would be upgraded to a 'Superior' room, a category not available online.

They've told me I can have Club Lounge access for 70 Euro's per day

I have to say I'm really unhappy at what feels like a con and am seriously considering changing Hotels
Club is never guaranteed and is usually a property by property case by case basis.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
How long does it take for my status to be reflected on their website? I just paid the $200 to join and my credit card has been charged but the website still has me as a lowly club member.
it takes up to 3 days. I joined a saturday, and charged same day, but website showed old tier until monday.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:45 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsk1973
You didn't really expect to get a year of club access for a one-time $200 fee, did you?
That isn't what they asked.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
That isn't what they asked.
Basically, it was, if the "assumption" is that Club access is granted simply by booking one level below Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.