Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC San Francisco Mark Hopkins Archive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by tristan727
It's good to a have a name & a target to focus on for the downgrading of Ambassador & RA status.

Let's put a face to it now (good for my dartboard)....

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

There is a best-seller over here in the UK -I'm going to hunt down a 2nd hand paperback, & send it to him for Xmas. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074...e=UTF8&s=books
this is one of my favorites:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068...e=UTF8&s=books
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jdevan00

oops...i seem to have hijacked my own request.

back to the point... the hotel is sold out during the wknd I will be there. Will that make a difference or is it a strict policy that no one is to be upgraded to a named suite?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
fsa_ea, do you know the name of the former guest relations manager? Several of the staff up there were absolutely wonderful in the past and I'd hate to see one of my favorites run out by this "gentleman."

I'll be staying there this week and will report back on how things go.

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Yes, Mr. Gatti is his name. Finally, the guest relations manager who was there when Mr. Gatti arrived is "no longer with the hotel." She must have been too generous. Go figure.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:50 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
I'll be staying there this week and will report back on how things go.
PremExec, have you checked in already? If so, what was your experience? Good hopefully.....
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by EdV
PremExec, have you checked in already? If so, what was your experience? Good hopefully.....
Hello all, just returned from a weekend at the MH. Since I didn't have Club Access, I'm delayed in my posting. I wish I had some good news to share. Unfortunately, there is none.

Just so we're on the same page here, the MH used to have an upgrade policy for RA's where you would receive a Suite (a real one, not make believe, etc.) or have the option of your booked room AND Club Access. As posted elsewhere, that pay option just increased from US30 to 60 per night.

So, I booked a standard room and checked the website on the day of arrival. I had been moved into a "Business Room," which is a larger room with a fax/printer. I wasn't concerned, as the staff knows my preference for Club access rather than a suite.

When I arrived, I got the business room, but was surprised when asked if I wanted the Club Access for 60 dollars. I was then informed that the Club/Suite option no longer existed. OK, then, how about the suite? Answer: that WAS my upgrade, period!

Having read the FT thread on this subject, I politely elevated it first to the desk manager (who has been there all of 5 months). Of course, she knew nothing of the history and insisted that "this has always been our policy." As a "favor" she reluctantly (and I emphasize the word "reluctantly") upgraded me to a junior suite on a lower floor. While it was better than nothing, it was an odd shaped room, next to the elevator, and probably one of the lesser rooms I've ever stayed in at the MH.

This whole process took about 30 minutes. Since the experience had ruined my arrival anyway, I thought I might as well speak to the GM himself and express my concerns about his new policies. He called several minutes afterward and we talked by phone. One of the previous posters here described him as being "difficult to talk to." After our conversation, I would concur. He spent a few minutes rambling about other hotels and how his customers make it hard for properties that have only a few suites, etc. He went on about "so many RA's, the cost of the club, etc., which did nothing to address my concerns. When I brought him back on point, he usually had nothing to say. It is clear he thinks RA's get too much anyway, and it was also obvious that he interprets the rules to give us a little as he possibly can. We discussed "top 1% of customers" in the RA category. Again, there was no acknowlegement of our value as customers; simply more drivel about how many benefits we get.

The classic moment came when he tried the old "we're expecting a big party and the suites are booked" line. Ya know, I half expect this from some kid at the front desk, but not a GM of a large hotel like the MH. Of course, being an experienced FT follower, I ran a reservations search and called the hotel immediately before the conversation. It was obvious a wide variety of premium rooms were available for booking. When I came back with that, I got a pause, audible sigh, and the old customer service shuffle languge which says, "I'm done with you and this conversation is over."

I ended our polite and businesslike conversation by telling him that I was aware that other customers are equally upset with his policies, that it is being discussed on several internet travel websites, and that he could expect to lose business as a result of his policies. Frankly, I don't think he cared a bit, and we ended our conversation.

The rest of the weekend was quiet, although they did forget to service the minibar and informed us that the staff was "gone for the day" when we called. There was no other acknowledgment from any of the management as to our comfort or how the stay was upon checkout. Given the nature of the check in concerns, I would have expected more from a world class hotel.

So, my friends, I'm planning to write to IC Hotels Group and let them know how dissatisfied I am with the current state of RA benefits at the MH. I guess the easy thing to do would be vote with my feet and not return. However, the MH is too important of a property in the IC group, and I suggest we make our feelings known.

I talked with several RA's who have witnessed some rather spirited conversations with management over this issue. Please take the time to write to IC and let them know how you feel. This guy (the GM) is bad news and should be held accountable for his policies. I also encourage you to contact him upon your arrival, tactfully let him know you know his story, and that you will report your experiences to others potential customers.

On a happy note, another IC is planned for SF near the Moscone Center, so we may soon have other choices rather than the MH. I really love this hotel and the great staff who have always been so exceptional. Unfortunately, management sets the tone, and the tone from this GM is bad.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
People please do write to ICHG ... .also I would call Ambassador service from hotel
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MXM135
The Mark Hopkins is a ICH Group corporately owned property. If they are not complying with or respecting the RA benefits and amenities, then they should be reported to the Guest Services/Ambassador Client Services. As a corporately owned property, it should do everything right without having to be reminded.
MXM135
I agree with your sentiments entirely - but, as Holtju2 points out above, the latest T&C softened the requirements placed on hotels by the programme. I'm sure benefit-dilution was a reaction to the burgeoning number of RAs - having an RA on site passed from being something of an event to being a chore and a potential revenue-threat to the local GM.

So the long and the short is that hotels can play by the rules, but get away with putting you in an executive room, rather than a suite. And how exactly they define an executive room is up to them! Personally, unless I plan to have business meeting in my room, I prefer one large room to the oddly-shaped and pokey two-roomers I've been placed in. But that's just me.

Pressure from high-spender RAs on ICH to tighten up the hotels' obligations under the T&C seems the most appropriate method to get a more coherent and satisfying package of benefits.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
So, I booked a standard room and checked the website on the day of arrival. I had been moved into a "Business Room," which is a larger room with a fax/printer.
Same has happened to me.
Although I am not an RA, just an Ambassador, I was promised in an email by the hotel that if I booked a Deluxe room I would be upgraded to a Junior or Studio suit (I have this in writing from them), after which I went ahead and indeed booked a Deluxe room.
Checking my reservation now a few days before our stay to find we have been upgraded to a 'Business room', not a suit.
Looking at the description of the rooms, it looks like the Business rooms, while might be considered an 'upgrade' for business travelers (due to the fax/printer etc), to leisure travelers (which we are this time) they could hardly be considered an upgrade from a deluxe room.

They are smaller, and there is no guaranteed view.
I think the only thing that might be considered an upgrade is free internet access according to the room description.
I would rather stay in my original room and they offer me the free internet in there.

Had I know this, I would have booked a smaller room to start with, and the only reason I booked a Deluxe room, was because of my correspondence with them.

Anyway I guess I will see what happens when we check in, but I have printed out all my correspondence with the hotel promising me the upgrades etc.
I was also promised the $30 club access but I guess there is no chance arguing that one anymore.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:23 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
I am only an AMB but with a soft spot for ICs. The IC Berlin was one of my first real hotel stays and it was gorgous which is what swung me over for PG.

As I am not the very very high spender I also took in SFO the Civic Center - absolutly nothing to talk home about, but an okay starbucks around the corner and once I was Plat they where nicer.

I stayed at the MH for my first 'real' IC stay outside of Germany and I managed to be at the end of the period for the good times. I was lucky to be informed that the jump to 60 would be coming.

Which I find an okay price. For two people. If you like booze and need a computer of your own and do printing.

I value a) free internet possible but not necessary wifi b) an in room safe c) good coffee / breakfast.

I have no need for room service and in 95% of the cases on these trips I travel alone without a car which is why I loath the fact that everything is made up for double occupancy.

Different to what I experienced many Americans gosh about, the history of this hotel is wasted on my. I live in Europe, the town I am living in was founded 700 bc - talk to me about history.

In my stay at the MH I had the upgrade as one upgrade to the Junior Suite which was not as nice as having a view out of the bay area.

The hotel sure was nice, but then again lacking a lot of things for my personal travel. If I had to advise somebody and tell them what or where to get my preferences would be now

- make PC and use the civic center, get free breakfast, have free wifi, bring your own toilettery and with the saved money pay cabs and star bucks. After all you are there for the town and or business and not for staying in your hotel room

- go to the CP Union Square for the location (have not tried that yet), probably nicer, but nearly double in price

The MH with this manager is off my list now unless it is very very cheap and there is a special promo coming which makes it worth my while to be there or I may be tempted to go there for a breakfast once.

Hm! With the coming double promo and booking bonus do I calculate correctly when I say
2000*2 + online booking bonus + 50% plat bonus = 6000 points for one stay?

That could be a reason to switch hotels and include the IC!

If there will be a new IC I will try that one out. And if at probably stay there. But not the MH again.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:26 pm

i called amb services and cancelled my res. When asked why I said the mgr is very difficult to work with and explained my difficulties in securing an upgrade. Actually i was downgraded to a deluxe room w/ double beds when I booked a club room (i needed doubles). It seems like they make no differentiation between ambassadors and RAs.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Booked a King Bed Classic room for October...a day later the online reservation is showing an upgrade to a King Bed Business Room. This sucks...after getting an upgrade to a corner suite the last time around.

Emailed the hotel and this is their reply:

In reply to your inquiry I'm pleased to inform you on following:

1. All the Ambassador Members are to receive an upgraded accommodation
in
our hotel - a room one category higher than purchased will be assigned
at
check-in.

2. A Royal Ambassador Status entitles members to receive an upgrade to
a
business/executive room or suite if available (In order to be able to
upgrade your room to a corner suite your reservation would be changed
to a
Junior/Studio suite at the rate of $650.)

3. The fee for the Club lounge is now $60/day which is good for 2
adults;
children are $15/each.
(If you would like to have this included for your stay, please let me
know.
And I have attached a copy of all the Club benefits)
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:17 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Savage25
2. A Royal Ambassador Status entitles members to receive an upgrade to
a
business/executive room or suite if available (In order to be able to
upgrade your room to a corner suite your reservation would be changed
to a
Junior/Studio suite at the rate of $650.)
Please cancel my reservations too while you're at it.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt
Savage - Switch to the CP closeby - The Business Rooms are "C"rap. Might as well not be upgraded. I got the "upgrade" to the business room when I was there a couple of months back and was EXTREMELY disappointed.

I think the only difference between a "Classic" and a "Business" is perhaps the higher floor. I could not spot ONE thing in the room that would have made it feel special for "Business".
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:53 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
This is really sad. I have a reservation for the MH on 21st of Sept. Currently it shows Classic King. If I only get upgraded to a business room, I will certainly fire off an email. This GM seems to be setting his own rules! I'm sure if IC hears enough complaints about this GM, something will be done about this.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:59 am

how are they earning more revenue by not upgrading to suites that are just sitting there? it just discourages loyal patrons from staying at this property. i can understand getting RAs/AMBs to go to a slightly higher rate to get a superior upgrade but how often does this happen? RAs/AMBs are basically capped at the business room unless they pay for suites. even then its a 1 category upgrade.

there are 10 room types above the club room. does anyone pay the full rate for these rooms? whens the last time the terrace suite was occupied?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.