Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are points returned if cancel award stay?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
Are points returned if cancel award stay?

Hi - I always thought that if you book an award stay and then cancel, that the points are returned to your account. But when I attempt to book an award stay, it says "a deposit for the full amount is required".

I called support line 3 times and all I get is Manila and they can't even locate the hotel - they keep telling me that hotel is not in the chain - lol - it's on the priorityclub site and I have stayed there many times!

Any help is appreciated or a number to call to get someone in the US is great too.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think it depends on what the restrictions were when you booked

Which hotel and when?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by allen074
Hi - I always thought that if you book an award stay and then cancel, that the points are returned to your account. But when I attempt to book an award stay, it says "a deposit for the full amount is required".

I called support line 3 times and all I get is Manila and they can't even locate the hotel - they keep telling me that hotel is not in the chain - lol - it's on the priorityclub site and I have stayed there many times!

Any help is appreciated or a number to call to get someone in the US is great too.
Yes, you get the points back...usually immediately. If you have the confirmation number, call PC and give them that number and then ask them to cancel the reservation. Are you sure you booked an award stay? When you look at your PC account, do you see the points deducted for the stay?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
Finally got to someone in the USA - also got a number to always get someone in the usa - yay!

He said that this hotel has specific restrictions for one of the nights I want due to a basketball conference - so i would get the points back but be out $200 cash for the first night. They should really make that clear when a hotel has a certain restriction in effect - in all my years with IHG I have never seen this before.

Thanks Fozzie and Dave for your quick replies!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allen074
Finally got to someone in the USA - also got a number to always get someone in the usa - yay!

He said that this hotel has specific restrictions for one of the nights I want due to a basketball conference - so i would get the points back but be out $200 cash for the first night. They should really make that clear when a hotel has a certain restriction in effect - in all my years with IHG I have never seen this before.

Thanks Fozzie and Dave for your quick replies!
I have come across this situation where what would normally be fully flexible was a non-refundable stay in Singapore when the Grand Prix was on

To be fair, the restrictions were stated on the confirmation page in my case which I almost missed since I had stayed there so often I wasnt expecting different terms to normal

Dave
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Yes, any time there is a local major event - sports, concert or whatever, there is a rash of incredible coincidences whereby point reservations are mysteriously dropped from the system.

It can range from the HI in Albany doing it annually for the Bar exam given up the block to the HI in Waltham screwing you for weekends when there is Patriots game.

And every time the PC Club desk is shocked - shocked! that this "glitch" appeared in the reservation.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Thumper
Yes, any time there is a local major event - sports, concert or whatever, there is a rash of incredible coincidences whereby point reservations are mysteriously dropped from the system.

It can range from the HI in Albany doing it annually for the Bar exam given up the block to the HI in Waltham screwing you for weekends when there is Patriots game.

And every time the PC Club desk is shocked - shocked! that this "glitch" appeared in the reservation.
I have a slug of award rooms booked in London for the little sporting event we are hosting in July / August, and to be honest I was surprised that cancellation is the usual '4pm day of arrival', especially as they are $1,000 a night rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.