Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CP - Bedbug Incident

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:56 am
ttw
Original Poster

Programs: IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
CP - Bedbug Incident

During a recent stay at a Crowne Plaza in the UK I awoke to find a marks/rash over my upper torso, neck and back. I checked out and went to my meeting where the marks became more pronounced and very itchy. I sought medical attention who confirmed I had definitely been bitten most probably by bedbugs or fleas. I had not stayed in another hotel in the previous week so it must have come from this stay. I tried to contact the hotel however the phone just rang out so I contacted Guest Relations. They referred the issue to the property and advised they would resolve the matter within 48hrs. The GM called me back within the hour to dispute my claim. He advised he had checked the room with his housekeeper found nothing. He commented that the property had previously had a bedbug infestation so they knew what they were looking for and seemed to imply that I was making it up. As the GM didn't appear to be taking my complaint seriously I volunteered to send him photos clearly showing the bites. These were sent by email, which the GM responded advising he was arranging a pest control company to inspect the room further and he would respond the following day. Yesterday I received an email from the GM advising that as the room has been occupied by other guests the pest control company have been unable to access the room and would do so on Monday, 5 days after first notifying the hotel of the issue. I am shocked that the hotel at the very least has failed to take the room out of service and that they are putting other guests at risk also. I spoke again with guest relations who have been cc on all of the correspondence, who have now referred this incident to their Executive Office as I assume the GM's actions are not considered IHG best practice? If the GM's attitude had been more professional I probably would have stayed again at the property but not now especially knowing that an infestation has happened previously. I am not looking for thousands in compensation but I would expect at the very least the room refunded and costs for medication/heat treatment of my laundry which aren't even 50% of the room rate. I expected better from IHG especially given the amount of business i have given them over the years. Is it worth waiting for executive office to investigate and resolve (can take up to 21 days!) or should I just name and shame by completing a tripadvisor review with photos?

Last edited by ttw; Feb 4, 2012 at 11:59 am
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: priority club, aeroplan, air miles
Name and shame. They can respond on trip advisor on how they have dealt with this issue. Put your room number in. It is my worst fear to bring these home! And don't forget to post it here as well.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL FO MM, AA EXP MM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I see this kind of "stone walling" all the time by hotel management on www.bedbugregistry.com, which I check on a regular basis and before booking a reservation. This site only covers NA. There may be a similar site for the UK. Definitely flame and shame them, their response was unacceptable IMHO.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:07 pm

Thanks for that site. Looking at the map, I think some conclusions can be drawn. I'll leave them up to you.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Make sure to report at the bedbug registry.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Skywards, Priority Club
Bed bugs are becoming a real issue in the hotel industry. It doesn't excuse the way it's handled, but we are going to start seeing it happen more and more in the coming years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.