Looks like there are 4 options:

EDINBURGH CITY CENTRE HIX

EDINBURGH-ROYAL MILE HIX

EDINBURGH CITY-WEST HI

EDINBURGH-WATERFRONT HIX
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
EDINBURGH CITY CENTRE HIX is near Picardy Place which is close to and walkable from a lot of bars, clubs, cinema, shops etc. Also only a short walk to Waverly station and Princes St.

Don't know about the 2nd property, but the last two are definitely away from where you want to be as a tourist.

I really miss the George IC. Such fab memories, including my 1st ever stay as RA. Sigh!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,Platinum Ambassador, BA Gold, Qatar Platinum, Hertz 5 Star
What are your requirements and what time of year?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Not sure where the Waterfront property is exactly, but if over in the Leith area, well isn't that a fairly happening location now, some prefer it as just far enough from the tourist center, with its own ambience, plenty of restaurants and pubs, but still quite close to anything you want to do/see in the center. I'd appreciate any recent feedback on that property myself...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Can't speak for the others but Royal Mile HIX is very nice.
Its a newer hotel, just opened in late 2008 I think so its very clean and "newish". I thought the location was great as well. It was in a quieter little area kinda off the main path but yet not a far walk from everything there is to see like the royal mile and the castle. The city is very walkable (though there are a lot of hills so if you are older or disabled that would be a problem)
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Stayed in the Royal Mile HIX just before Christmas and thought it was good. As another poster has said, it's a fairly new property, well soundproofed, everything still functioning, and a really good breakfast for the room rate.

There are many pubs and restaurants within walking distance. I'd definitely stay here again.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by AJLondon
EDINBURGH CITY CENTRE HIX
+1 ^
Excellent Plat treatment (amenity box + large corner room) and great location, new/ newly renovated.

Value on idex1 or ikex3 is awesome.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:07 pm

I've stayed at both the Waterfront and city centre HIX properties.

The cty centre site is an interesting building in a very good location, I'd stay there again.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by time2go1st
Not sure where the Waterfront property is exactly, but if over in the Leith area, well isn't that a fairly happening location now, some prefer it as just far enough from the tourist center, with its own ambience, plenty of restaurants and pubs, but still quite close to anything you want to do/see in the center. I'd appreciate any recent feedback on that property myself...
yes it's in Leah, but what's in between Leah and the city centre? nothing?

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/...ilsearch&ias=y
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blacknight
What are your requirements and what time of year?
May, must be close to the centre, easy to get to and from the airport, quiet cheap and spotless
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
May, must be close to the centre, easy to get to and from the airport, quiet cheap and spotless
the city centre one fits the bill. Very central and can get the bus easily from the airport to city centre then 5-10 mins stroll to hotel
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,Platinum Ambassador, BA Gold, Qatar Platinum, Hertz 5 Star
Like caz312 says this is definately the one for you with express buss service to the airport from Waverly Bridge about a 5 - 10 downhil walk from there.

I dont normally take the bus but this service is excellent and the black cabs in Edinburgh are a f##kin rip off.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC75K, PC Platinum
The waterfront location is nice. Upgraded to larger room because of status, lots of shopping options right across the street, as well as restaurants. When I stayed there, they had a complimentary shuttle into the city centre, so it was brilliant. Highly recommend it.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
That's what I was hoping to hear about the waterfront property, thank you! Maybe will try it on my next trip there, the shuttle would work for me so long as it operated reasonably late, and if it does not beat the view of the Castle from the rooms in the Sheraton, probably the rooms themselves are actually much nicer.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:36 am

edinburgh, don't forget to check the bogof rate:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/...r1-_-exclusive

dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.