Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel for Shanghai ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Which hotel for Shanghai ?

What are folks' recommendations about Shanghai? Loads of properties there...
Old Mar 6, 2010, 4:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
What are folks' recommendations about Shanghai? Loads of properties there...
What's your budget? What are you looking to do? Lots of variables here.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 6, 2010 at 7:33 am Reason: copied post from original thread
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
There are lots of properties in Shanghai.

For budget, i recommend Holiday Inn Downtown. Next to Airport Bus connect Pudong PVG airport. Next to Shanghai Railway Station and underground (Metro). But be aware there are two wings. Try the GW wing.

Something between budget and luxury. Well, CP Shanghai is great if you book the Club level.

I do like IC Pudong it is next to Metro line as well. Not sure about IC Puxi.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by IC6A
There are lots of properties in Shanghai.

For budget, i recommend Holiday Inn Downtown. Next to Airport Bus connect Pudong PVG airport. Next to Shanghai Railway Station and underground (Metro). But be aware there are two wings. Try the GW wing.

Something between budget and luxury. Well, CP Shanghai is great if you book the Club level.

I do like IC Pudong it is next to Metro line as well. Not sure about IC Puxi.
New IC Expo looks like a good location for the fair. I've got a couple of nights booked there in mid-June. It's on a new metro line that starts at the same station as the Maglev arrives at, and is a block's walk from the station. Unfortunately, IC Puxi (a friend claims this is a very nice IC) is not very central, so there is no IC or HI for that matter in the Peoples Park area, which is what I consider the best location for a "tourist" wishing to maximize their time in the city. I've tended to stay at the IC Pudong, which as noted is a short walk from a metro station and easily linking it to the Maglev.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by IC6A
As a plat, I have always (4-5 stays) been UGed to club level. YMMV.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Unfortunately, IC Puxi (a friend claims this is a very nice IC) is not very central, so there is no IC or HI for that matter in the Peoples Park area, which is what I consider the best location for a "tourist" wishing to maximize their time in the city. I've tended to stay at the IC Pudong, which as noted is a short walk from a metro station and easily linking it to the Maglev.
The IC Puxi is not in that great of a location (near the main train station), but it's probably much easier to get to People's Square and downtown from there than try to navigate the Pudong->Puxi, especially if you are out late at night trying to find a cab. It's also pretty near a subway.

The new IC expo is really only close to the expo, I wouldn't consider it otherwise.

Depending on when the OP is going, there is a new Hotel Indigo opening on the Bund this summer, which is a pretty good location.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewwm
What's your budget? What are you looking to do? Lots of variables here.
Budget not that big of an issue, so long as it's not insanely more expensive than other hotels in the area. Want to max out points. Will likely be hotel hopping for 1-2 weeks to requal for HH Diamond then on to PC plat.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, AŚClub Platinum, Hertz 5*
...Will likely be hotel hopping for 1-2 weeks to requal for HH Diamond then on to PC plat.
You and me both! I'm here in Suzhou & Shanghai for 3 weeks, and have 14 different stays booked to cover the period.

I've got bookings at the HI Downtown and IC Pudong, so I'm glad they were given a good mention above.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by andrewwm
The IC Puxi is not in that great of a location (near the main train station), but it's probably much easier to get to People's Square and downtown from there than try to navigate the Pudong->Puxi, especially if you are out late at night trying to find a cab. It's also pretty near a subway.
Isn't it at the Southern RR station, not the main "downtown" station where the main HI is located? Unfortunately the maps are not all that great, and Google Earth photos a bit out dated. On the main Green Line subway it is just four stops to Peoples Square from the IC Pudong, so I've always found it relatively convenient even for Puxi excursions while it's running. Agree after midnight and into the wee hours of the morning, you're looking at a cab ride back.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2muchplastic
You and me both! I'm here in Suzhou & Shanghai for 3 weeks, and have 14 different stays booked to cover the period.

I've got bookings at the HI Downtown and IC Pudong, so I'm glad they were given a good mention above.
Ha, we'll like be crossing paths. Post your experiences here please. My stays don't start til April 1. You?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:22 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Shanghai Hotel Indigo gets added to the mix in July to add yet another option to those that like to check in/check out

http://www.shanghai.hotelindigo.com/...-_-IN_Shanghai
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, AŚClub Platinum, Hertz 5*
Ha, we'll like be crossing paths. Post your experiences here please. My stays don't start til April 1. You?
My 3 weeks ends on 26th March (I arrived yesterday), and my next lot of 3 weeks starts on 10th May. Looks like we're taking it in turns!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Isn't it at the Southern RR station, not the main "downtown" station where the main HI is located? Unfortunately the maps are not all that great, and Google Earth photos a bit out dated. On the main Green Line subway it is just four stops to Peoples Square from the IC Pudong, so I've always found it relatively convenient even for Puxi excursions while it's running. Agree after midnight and into the wee hours of the morning, you're looking at a cab ride back.
It's near the main train station, not too far from the HI. The hotel has a very nice hard product (and decent upgrade policy), but soft product can be lacking (whether due to training issues or otherwise).

OP: I'm sure you're aware, but you only get 2k points per STAY at an IC, not per night. So if you're looking to max out points, you'd best only stay at most one night at any of the ICs.

People have reported the Holiday Inn downtown to be not bad (although I've never stayed there), and there have been some recent reports that the HI Pudong has had some renovations finished lately. The IC Pudong, while not one of the gems in the IC crown, is considered to be pretty good as well.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2muchplastic
My 3 weeks ends on 26th March (I arrived yesterday), and my next lot of 3 weeks starts on 10th May. Looks like we're taking it in turns!
Bummer, we'll I'll be there in May so send me a PM when you come back.

I just booked my hotels there for April, check in and out....repeat 14 times...
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:15 am

Bummer, we'll I'll be there in May so send me a PM when you come back.

I just booked my hotels there for April, check in and out....repeat 14 times...
Looks like 14 is the magic number!

Now on the third reservation - and 3 room upgrades so far. Not bad for a Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.