Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Other than on Priority Club website, how can one purchase points?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Other than on Priority Club website, how can one purchase points?

I saw in a post here that one can purchase 500,000 points for 2-2.5 thousand dollars from cloud9living.com. Is that true..if so how does one do it.
Every year I purchase the maximum 40,000 points but would like to get more. Can u purchase points from other Priority Club members? And is there a thread or site where people offer to sell points.

Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by torontocanada
I saw in a post here that one can purchase 500,000 points for 2-2.5 thousand dollars from cloud9living.com. Is that true..if so how does one do it.
You misunderstood.
You can't purchase them FROM cloud9living.com.
I believe my post is the one you are referring to. In it, I stated that Cloud 9 living SELLS their EXPERIENCES (not PCR points) for cash directly to the public. They charge $2,000-$2,500 cash for awards which would cost 500,000 PCR points.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13120702-post9.html
http://www.cloud9living.com/experien...s/price-2500/d
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:50 am
Original Poster

thanks

thanks for the clarification. Do you know whether one can buy points from other Priority Club members? and if so..where could someone find members who are selling points..
Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You can buy unlimited numbers of points from the PC website .... and for less than the official price.

All you need to do is book 'points and cash' redemptions. So, for a CP redemption, you book the "15,000 points + $60" option rather than the "25,000 points" option. (Obviously you need a 15k balance already to do this.)

Once the booking is made, cancel it. Instead of getting back $60 plus 15,000 points, you get back 25,000 points. You have paid $60 for the 10k points. Points go back into the account instantaneously. Repeat as required. Note though that these points do NOT count towards Plat status, whilst 'officially' purchased points do.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:59 am
Original Poster

how many times have u done this..thanks for the info.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how many times have u done this..thanks for the info.
If you do this with the clear intention of circumventing program rules, you could find yourself subject to adverse action.

So far, there are no reports of this being done, but be aware.

Of course, as I posted before, PCR may actually profit from this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11941315-post6.html
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Soon, I hope.

Given the way PCR is run, who knows, though. Indeed, it may even be PROFITABLE for them even if people just buy points at .6cpp. The low occupancy (95% full or less) reimbursement rates are $20-$100 (plus tax). The amount PCR collects from Cash & Points sales is $30 (5K PointBreaks) to $240 (40K IC).

I wish this loophole were closed. I fear for severe devaluation.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
If you do this with the clear intention of circumventing program rules, you could find yourself subject to adverse action.

So far, there are no reports of this being done, but be aware.

Of course, as I posted before, PCR may actually profit from this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11941315-post6.html

Didn't they do something to keep the points from counting towards status?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmaddock
Didn't they do something to keep the points from counting towards status?
Yes, they don't count towards status as I posted above. But it works fine otherwise - I've done it myself as an experiment.

torontocanada - I'm intrigued as to why you purchase 40,000 points each year. Unless you are specifically redeeming at VERY expensive properties (Bora Bora?) the maths don't make a lot of sense. After all, 40k is 1 IC night or 1.6 CP nights and that is not worth US$460.

Last edited by Raffles; Jan 10, 2010 at 1:49 pm
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Every year I purchase the maximum 40,000 points but would like to get more. Can u purchase points from other Priority Club members? And is there a thread or site where people offer to sell points.

Thanks.
If you follow the Master Promo Thread in the sticky at the top there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to amass all the points you need from your regular stays.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
torontocanada - I'm intrigued as to why you purchase 40,000 points each year. Unless you are specifically redeeming at VERY expensive properties (Bora Bora?) the maths don't make a lot of sense. After all, 40k is 1 IC night or 1.6 CP nights and that is not worth US$460.
+1
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terockwo
+1
PBs, perhaps.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
PBs, perhaps.
That would make sense
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbrendan
That would make sense
Unless you actively plan your holidays around staying in pretty obscure places, I doubt it!

Although, I suppose, if I had the time and the inclination (I certainly have the airline miles!) it would be interesting. Plan a holiday each quarter based entirely on the most attractive PB opportunity IC comes up with!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond

I wouldn't lose sleep over this- the cost per point is still so high as to not create an out of balance/arbitrage condition.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I wouldn't lose sleep over this- the cost per point is still so high as to not create an out of balance/arbitrage condition.
True. Even if there was another 50%-off promo for the Anyhotel Anywhere cards, it still wouldn't be worthwhile. In it would cost $492 for a 200 gift card which makes no sense.

There are also only a small number of hotels where buying points is better than buying a room. You're looking at min $240 for an IC and $150 for a CP, and then you need to offset the points lost by not paying cash, as well as the loss of status points. Ironically, it will become more attractive if the PC promos dry up as you will be losing fewer points by not using cash, and without the bonuses a lot of us would give up aiming for Plat anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.