Wiki Posts
Search

ANA IC Tokyo -Club IC upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
ANA IC Tokyo -Club IC upgrades?

Sorry to start a new thread for this rather simple question, which I guess will ultimately come down to luck. I have booked a club IC room for my four night stay at the ANA, checking in at the of beginning of September. I was wondering whether they will upgrade from this category (I'm a RA)?? If so, does anyone know what category of room I can expect & whether it would be on the higher floors?

Also as an aside, does anyone know if the Club IC rooms have a separate shower or whether it's a bath/shower combo like the classic rooms at this property?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I am sure that for G. Ambassadors they upgrade to Club Room if Executive Delux is booked as per the email reponse from the hotel.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I am sure that for G. Ambassadors they upgrade to Club Room if Executive Delux is booked as per the email reponse from the hotel.
Thanks for your response. My question was really relating to what upgrade they give FROM a club level room??
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: SK*G, IC RA
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Thanks for your response. My question was really relating to what upgrade they give FROM a club level room??
I was upgraded to a Jr. suite. I think you cannot not always count on this - I count myself lucky
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Always got upgraded to Jr. Suite or Corner Suite, once to the Presidential Suite from the superior room booking or even on reward night on this property.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: SK*G, IC RA
Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo
Always got upgraded to Jr. Suite or Corner Suite, once to the Presidential Suite from the superior room booking or even on reward night on this property.
Note that I am not RA - only a lowly platinum ambassador
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dk_commuter
Note that I am not RA - only a lowly platinum ambassador
Thanks for that. One would hope that they would upgrade a club room then to a jr suite at least!!

In relation to my second question, does anyone know if the 'standard' club rooms have a separate shower?? Thanks again.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that. One would hope that they would upgrade a club room then to a jr suite at least!!

In relation to my second question, does anyone know if the 'standard' club rooms have a separate shower?? Thanks again.
On my last visit as a platinum ambassador (during the first of this year's 72 hour sales) I was verbally guaranteed a club floor room by booking an Executive Deluxe Room and this was honoured. If you speak to them and make the booking by phone they should be able to tell you what room you will get with the Ambassador upgrade when you make the Club room booking.

As for the second question, our King bed club room (which did not have a glass wall separating the bath from the bedroom like the one in the photo below) did have a separate shower.
There seem to be two layouts for King bed rooms:
http://www.anaintercontinental-tokyo...room/club.html

Ours coincided with the bottom plan. The one above appears to lack the separate shower.

It could be that all the twin bed rooms have separate showers. I would suggest making the request for a separate shower when you make your booking if you are after a King bed room. FWIW all the suites have them.

Only warning I have for this property is to be cautious if booking during the Hotel's declared "Autumn season" as the rooms' air-conditioning is not operational during this time. The temperature for us during the "Spring season" was stifling and the only relief was to go to the still climate controlled Club lounge. We took the room a/c for granted on our first night (we arrived after midnight and slept soundly) on the next the energy conservation policy had kicked in and the a/c was out of bounds - we endured a sweaty, fitful night on a stripped bed as far as possible from each other, it wasn't exactly the romantic break we'd hoped for
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap

Only warning I have for this property is to be cautious if booking during the Hotel's declared "Autumn season" as the rooms' air-conditioning is not operational during this time.
That's VERY useful to know thank you. You know what the next question is going to be don't you when is the Autumn season? I don't see any reference to it on their website! It just says "Individually controlled a/c". If there is going to be no a/c then frankly I'm not interested in staying there -I wouldn't stay in a hotel in the UK in summer months without AC.

What a stupid policy.

Thanks for the info though ^
Old Jun 14, 2009, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's VERY useful to know thank you. You know what the next question is going to be don't you when is the Autumn season? I don't see any reference to it on their website!
And I didn't see any dates when I was staying there either. It was a rather cruel surprise.
From experience, the "Spring" season meant that there was no discernible air-conditioning in the room on the 18th April. It was working on the 17th April. I've no idea if they kept this cost energy saving measure up, that it could be so hot and uncomfortable on the very first day it was implemented didn't bode well for those staying in the run up to "Summer". We had no thermometer but know that the room was in the upper 20sC (upper 80sF) - I'm fine right up until 25C and am convinced it was over 28C.

The only way to find out the details of this a/c policy might be to ask the hotel directly. I'm all for saving the planet, but this sort of initiative should be implemented in buildings where the rooms aren't designed to be dependent on climate control. If you contact them, ask them to assure you that the a/c will be working and then tell them you'll be going elsewhere if your dates don't tally, hopefully this will go somewhere to getting the message across.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I believe the air conditioning issue is not specific to ANA hotels but is a Japanese government suggestion (which, while not necessarily law, is enerally adhered to by everyone, since Japanese tend to listen to and do what the Government tells them to do). These are after all the people who started the Kyoto stuff and have done more than any other country to reduce their CO2 and pledging to do more again. Even though it inconveniences both travelers and their economy.

I generally get a Jr. Suite with Club Access @ the ANA IC. At the ANA Strings IC I had a "Club Room" (deluxe room with a few more perks) and since there's no club you get free drinks, snacks, breakfast in their dining area. At the IC Tokyo Bay I get a Jr. Suite with Club Access and at the IC InterContinental I got a Deluxe Room with Club.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:49 am

!!! Tangent Alert !!!

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
...These are after all the people who started the Kyoto stuff and have done more than any other country to reduce their CO2 and pledging to do more again.
And, this is also the country that seems to use more small plastic bags per capita than every other nation on Earth, combined.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
From experience, the "Spring" season meant that there was no discernible air-conditioning in the room on the 18th April. It was working on the 17th April.
For reference the climate control was working fine at the Strings and Tokyo Bay IC's a month later than this, which should still be part of the Spring season.

Also, the Japanese are comfortable with higher temperatures than most, especially Americans. I recall the thermostat at the Sapporo Sheraton defaulting to a ridiculous 28C in the winter, and that AC in Japanese commuter trains aimed to maintain something around 27-28C in the summer. Not to say that such temperatures are acceptable in a deluxe hotel with a large foreign clientele...
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monahos
Also, the Japanese are comfortable with higher temperatures than most
Try telling that to my husband

I have stayed at the ANA IC during what must have been Autumn season but was never kept so uncomfortably warm before. Certainly never warm enough to start reading the explanatory small print next to the a/c control panel when trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.

The majority of my visits to Japan have been in October and at the various hotels I've stayed in, energy saving measures have not impacted me negatively at all... until this last trip.

Having spent 10 days in a small traditionally built 1940s house with tatami floors and sliding doors and no air conditioning, the 2 day stay at the ANA IC was supposed to be a little oasis of luxury before our return to London. The futons may have been thin, but the temperature was absolutely fine in this old-style Shinjuku residence, it just highlighted that much of Tokyo's recent architecture has created a city chockfull of needlessly stifling environments.

On the plus side, the fact that the government's current energy saving policies are being implemented by so many companies and organisations may well spur more newly commissioned buildings to incorporate old fashioned ideas of ventilation and non-fuel dependent climate control features.

For those wanting an alternative to the ANA IC during the energy saving months I suggest the recently refurbished Superior rooms at the New Takanawa Prince in Shinagawa. There's a lot to be said for double doors opening onto a balcony in the Spring (particularly when there's a canopy of sakura blossom just below)
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So as a Gold Amb I booked a CLUB ROOM, Jul 9-12, what will the upgrade be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.