Search

IC Sydney Master Thread [merged] - after January 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by DonPedro
Good luck!
Forgot to ask earlier, but does IHG have an app that can be used to chat with rep? Or I'll have to call or email someone if I can't sort this out online?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsquare
Also, the email mentioned that there is a 1.5% surcharge if paying with Visa, MC, or AMEX?
Indeed there is a surcharge for paying by credit card
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed there is a surcharge for paying by credit card
Sure doesn't leave a good impression on me. I guess they'll update the total at check-out?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 1:32 am

Sure doesn't leave a good impression on me. I guess they'll update the total at check-out?
Quite normal for hotels in Australia to charge extra for payment by credit card. It will indeed update the total when paying to include the surcharge amount
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite normal for hotels in Australia to charge extra for payment by credit card. It will indeed update the total when paying to include the surcharge amount
Oh really? I didn't realize that was the norm in Australia. So does everything else in Australia, especially Sydney include surcharges when paying by credit card? I know I'm going a bit off-topic here.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Yes, basically. It’s not just Sydney! All of Australia does it.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DonPedro
Yes, basically. It’s not just Sydney! All of Australia does it.
Aw man. I'm guessing even Apple Pay, assuming that works in Australia, incurs a surcharge as well? It's terrible that they do it! I'm definitely not use to it!
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:57 am

Aw man. I'm guessing even Apple Pay, assuming that works in Australia, incurs a surcharge as well? It's terrible that they do it! I'm definitely not use to it!
Not aware of hotels taking Apple Pay, but if they do, I would expect that it would incur a surcharge. I don't see that it is terrible - any business in Australia is allowed to pass card processing fees onto the customer ; hotels are one type of business that generally do
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
I thought I read somewhere that prepaid stays do not incur the 1.5% surcharge whereas charges paid by credit card at checkout do have the added fee. Is this correct? Is it universal in Australia? Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r
I thought I read somewhere that prepaid stays do not incur the 1.5% surcharge whereas charges paid by credit card at checkout do have the added fee. Is this correct? Is it universal in Australia? Thanks.
I knew it is true for Hilton in Australia where I stayed (Gold Coast and Brisbane). Also HI Sydney Airport I stayed in June seems to have deposit transferred to the folio without mentioning of card fees. Maybe that is case, but need someone who really knows Australia credit card fees to confirm.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:36 am
Suspended

I am just saying, that if your credit card does not have Foreign Transaction Fees, it is still worth to considering using your card, as the ATM fees/unfavourable exchange rates or money exchange fees in airport would be around 2% or more. Of course you may find fee free cash machines or foreign exchange venders, but the overall cost may not worth it. I have learned to accept credit card fees while in Australia as the alternatives are not that great for a foreigner. I do take cash with me for small purchases but tend to use card when the amount is at certain level.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not aware of hotels taking Apple Pay, but if they do, I would expect that it would incur a surcharge. I don't see that it is terrible - any business in Australia is allowed to pass card processing fees onto the customer ; hotels are one type of business that generally do
Sorry, I didn't realized that was the norm in Australia. I've only been there once in my life and that was when I was in my early 20s. I don't see credit card surcharges in the US so that's why I'm not use to it.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongcao
I am just saying, that if your credit card does not have Foreign Transaction Fees, it is still worth to considering using your card, as the ATM fees/unfavourable exchange rates or money exchange fees in airport would be around 2% or more. Of course you may find fee free cash machines or foreign exchange venders, but the overall cost may not worth it. I have learned to accept credit card fees while in Australia as the alternatives are not that great for a foreigner. I do take cash with me for small purchases but tend to use card when the amount is at certain level.
Yep, neither my Chase nor Citi credit cards have FTF on it so I use them whenever I travel. I'll still use it despite the surcharges in Australia as I rarely carry cash unless I travel in places like Mainland China.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r
where payment is made at time of booking and the only way to pay is by credit card, then there shouldn't be a surcharge

Where payment is made at the hotel, then a card surcharge is normal

Sorry, I didn't realized that was the norm in Australia. I've only been there once in my life and that was when I was in my early 20s. I don't see credit card surcharges in the US so that's why I'm not use to it.
Different countries, different norms. In Australia, companies are allowed to pass on the cost of credit card transactions to the customer.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I have a 4 night stay on pts coming up in March. Is it worth purchasing Amb prior to my stay?
Reading through prior posts, maybe not???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.