Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Newcastle UK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:18 pm
obs
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Holiday Inn Newcastle UK

I had a points stay here last week. The outside and inside of the hotel is very tired and dated. The rooms however were actually okay with the exception of the shower looking like it could do with a good clean.

The hotel has a leisure club and pool which is okay. The showers and changing rooms were smelly and in very poor condition.

I tried out the restaurant on an evening and they have a Carvery option which was quite good. Perhaps its me, but in general I just did not like the hotel, it really was very tired, and is near nothing. If Newcastle is somewhere you are going I would suggest the Holiday Inn Washington. This is a much newer and cleaner hotel.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you're in Newcastle city centre, I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express. It is pretty much brand new, serves a good free breakfast and is about 60 seconds walk from the railway station.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
I stayed in the Holiday Inn Washington a couple of years ago and it was certainly not new and in fact even more out of date than the HI Newcastle. Are ypou sure you're not referring to the HI Express Washington?

Good news for Newcastle is a Staybridge Suites in the pipeline.

JAT
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
If you're in Newcastle city centre, I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express. It is pretty much brand new, serves a good free breakfast and is about 60 seconds walk from the railway station.
Would second this, I stayed there not long after it opened and was perfect as a base for Newcastle.

Think I did about 4 nights and I wasnt a Priority Club member at that stage... what a waste
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by obs

I tried out the restaurant on an evening and they have a Carvery option which was quite good. Perhaps its me, but in general I just did not like the hotel, it really was very tired, and is near nothing. If Newcastle is somewhere you are going I would suggest the Holiday Inn Washington. This is a much newer and cleaner hotel.
Think yourself lucky, I had to stay at the HI Dublin last week......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggg ggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Radioman
Think yourself lucky, I had to stay at the HI Dublin last week......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggg ggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
Is it a bad expierence?

Normally when in Dublin I use The Greesham as its located best but have been thinking of switiching for the points.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by crow99
Is it a bad expierence?

Normally when in Dublin I use The Greesham as its located best but have been thinking of switching for the points.
I usually stay at the CP Dublin Airport (though its not at the airport). I dont mind the taxi trip in/out of the city in the morning. Nice hotel and very good at upgrades when not busy.

The sad thing is that you can get rooms at the CP at the same price of the HI. The HI is a total and utter dump. But at least I got the points from the stay.

The HIX beside the CP is also very nice.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Virgin Flying Club Silver, ICH Royal Ambassador
HI Newcastle is poor apart from the carvery as previously mentioned. I live 5 minutes up the road and see them trying every way to attract local corporates to use it and its poor.

HIX in Newcastle is great and look out for HIX at the Metro Centre Gateshead if you just want a transit camp on a journey etc and a new HI Newcastle coming soon at Newburn Business Park just off the A1.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The location of the HIX is perfect, less than 10 minutes walk from just about everything you might want to do in Newcastle.

Within a short walk:
- Central Station - National Rail & Metro (20 mins to the airport)
- Bars, clubs and restaurants - The quayside and Bigg Market
- Shopping - Eldon Square, markets, Central Arcade etc
- St James Park - Newcastle United
- Museums - Discovery, Life, etc
- Baltic Art Gallery
- The various bridges
- Newcastle University (+ Newcastle College and U. of Northumbria)
- Cinemas, theatre

If you want to go to the MetroCentre you have the option of a train from the nearby Central Station or a bus that departs from nearby. A few stops on the Metro will take you to Jesmond Dene or the coast at Whitley Bay or South Shields.

Compare this to the HI which is not very central.

The hotel itself has standard HIX style rooms, so no upgrades, but they're to the standard you'd expect. The bar has a pool table which is a nice touch.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:29 pm

Nookassul

Seconded...it's an excellent place to stay...and the bar stays open....very very late...!!!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Virgin Flying Club Silver, ICH Royal Ambassador
A word to the wise, as an inhabitant of the city I would advise that you may want to exercise caution as to which bars you head to close by depending on your "orientation".
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: US Air Platinum, BA, SPG Gold, ICH Platinum
Avoid an adjoining room

We stayed at the HIE Newcastle two years ago and as you have said it was nice and new. The lobby was a nice place to visit and the free breakfast was great. The only bad part was that we were given an adjoining room. There were two young ladies in the room next door who were obviously in town to party. Unfortunately, we could hear every word through the door. I'd stay again but ask for a separate room.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by andrewmcharlton
A word to the wise, as an inhabitant of the city I would advise that you may want to exercise caution as to which bars you head to close by depending on your "orientation".
There's not a huge number of gay bars in Newcastle city centre but most are located near to the HIX. These tend to be the group of bars heading west out of central station, next to the centre of life exhibition. As for exercising caution I'd not worry about it too much. No one is going to hold you captive
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by andrewmcharlton
Well I'm scared already. I think I'll avoid Newcastle all together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.