Holiday Inn Sheffield (Master Thread)

Old Feb 2, 08, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
Holiday Inn Sheffield (Master Thread)

HI Sheffield

This is an older hotel - typical UK city center type property (unusual for HI IME). High cielings, and big rooms in the common areas. Showing it's age, but reasonably well maintained.

Was upgraded to Exec room. Nice big room with ~15' cielings; carpet and decor borderline tired, but seemed reasonably maintained. Bath was nice and deep, but narrow in the usual UK style. There was a minibar, with comp water and a kitkit on a tray, plus a fresh fruit plate when I arrived. Plat amenity was coupon for 30 minutes free internet or a free beer at the bar. Breakfast was the usual English style, and reasonably priced.

So far so good. Now the bad points - Web access was GBP10 for 24 hours (20 bucks). Shower was tiny - kept banging my elbows. No AC (didn't care in January, but would be pissed by that in August) and the heating was a wall radiator with a valve control - no wall thermostat. The service in the lounge was very poor - had to hunt around to find someone to serve a cup of coffee.

Overall - At GBP 99 it was reasonable value by UK standards. I'm enough of a point slut that I would stay here again if I needed to stay in the area, as it is the only ICHG property for miles. But honestly, I'd have preferred a new HIX.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jun 20, 18 at 1:39 am
Old Jun 18, 18, 8:54 am

Programs: DL, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Holiday Inn Sheffield (UK)

Holiday Inn Sheffield

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes.
Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard double room, received 1862 suite.
How are the rooms?
Half of the rooms are in a historic Victorian Station Hotel, the other half are in a modern annex.
The 1862 suite is done to much higher standard than a typical Holiday Inn. I'm not sure about the other rooms.
How is the exec. lounge?

What was good and what was bad?
Amazing room. Sometimes you get lucky with upgrades. Great service. Good breakfast. Good fitness room (for a hotel). Easily the most unique HI I've seen.
No air conditioning in the historic part of the hotel. Historic single glazed sash windows means you will hear some outside noise.
Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Incredible value with the upgrade.
Yes.

Dining Room

Somewhat hidden Central Stair Case. Many guests may never see this.

Bedroom

More of the 1862 suite
Old Jun 18, 18, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie View Post
Holiday Inn Sheffield

Platinum

Yes.
How are the rooms?
Half of the rooms are in a historic Victorian Station Hotel, the other half are in a modern annex.
The 1862 suite is done to much higher standard than a typical Holiday Inn. I'm not sure about the other rooms.
How is the exec. lounge?

What was good and what was bad?
Amazing room. Sometimes you get lucky with upgrades. Great service. Good breakfast. Good fitness room (for a hotel). Easily the most unique HI I've seen.
No air conditioning in the historic part of the hotel. Historic single glazed sash windows means you will hear some outside noise.
Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Incredible value with the upgrade.
It will be interesting to see how different this place is once it has been converted to a Crowne Plaza.
Old Jun 18, 18, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie View Post
Holiday Inn Sheffield

Platinum

Yes.

Thank you, this is great to see. Booked the 1862 for a 3-night stay in December. Looking forward to the unique charms of the property.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: