Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone stayed at the HI Attica Avenue by the Athens airport?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Has anyone stayed at the HI Attica Avenue by the Athens airport?

I have read some good reviews for this hotel on tripadvisor and am considering it for one night before a morning flight. My question, other than asking for any comments on the hotel itself, is whether anyone knows the schedule for the free shuttle bus. From what I have read, it runs on a fixed schedule in the morning and afternoon Monday-Friday, only a few times on Saturday and not on Sunday. Apparently there is also a public bus that has a stop in front of the hotel and costs only 2 Euros. If anyone knows which bus that is, please advise.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If no one has stayed there, does anybody know how to contact the hotel by email?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:05 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Planning my first 2008 MR and thinking about staying at this hotel. Any comments on the hotel would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by drjazz
Planning my first 2008 MR and thinking about staying at this hotel. Any comments on the hotel would be greatly appreciated!!

I am in the same boat--will be staying there in November (arriving late afternoon from Santorini then flying out to Rome early the next morning) If no one posts by then (hopefully someone will ) I will let people know my experiences

sdcarver
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:30 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Sorry havent a clue about the public bus ....but i heard also sunday was no-shuttle day.taxis are cheap as chips though.regarding hotel itself they upgrade plats to very decent exec rooms and room service is good and reasonable value .there s not a lot of dining choice around the vicinity apart from a cafe which has sandwiches,beer and coffee.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:29 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Unless I am mistaken, the hotel is located next to the Attiki Oddos motorway itself. Unfortunately, the Sofitel at the airport is much more expensive, although the price difference is quite justified.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by docklander
...apart from a cafe which has sandwiches,beer and coffee.
Ah, the three staples for a harried intercontinental traveler!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Does anyone know how much a taxi is from the airport to the Attica Avenue Holiday Inn? And about how long does it take? We need a hotel between flights, and don't want to pay $250 for the Airport Sofitel.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:00 am
Community Director Emerita

I've now spent a night at the Holiday Inn Attica. I needed an overnight stop between flights. I could have stayed at the Softel at the airport, an easy walk from the terminal. I didn't like paying $250, the cheapest I could find for it. Thus, I chose the Holiday Inn Attica, thinking that not only was it cheaper, but the stay would count toward various current promos. In the end, I didn't save much money.

We arrived past midnight, so the hotel shuttle was not running, and taxis were charging 2x the day rate. Our taxi fare for the 10 minute ride was 30 euros. The meter charge was 20 euros plus 4 euros for leaving from the airport, plus 4 euros for suitcases, plus 2 euros for the highway toll. Fortunately, we were able to use the van to return to the airport.

Our room was fine. We were given two single beds, though we had booked a king. At that time of night, coming off a long international flight, I didn't care. I just wanted to sleep. We were given a code for free wired internet. There was a hot water pot in the room for tea or coffee. There is wireless internet in the lobby, but you need to pay for that. There is also a computer room with 2 computers for public use.

By the time I paid for the room plus the taxi, I spent 160 euros or $213. For that price, I should have paid the delta to stay at the Sofitel. What comforts me is 1 stay toward the various current promos.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: QANTAS Club Silver, PC Royal Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've now spent a night at the Holiday Inn Attica. I needed an overnight stop between flights. I could have stayed at the Softel at the airport, an easy walk from the terminal. I didn't like paying $250, the cheapest I could find for it. Thus, I chose the Holiday Inn Attica, thinking that not only was it cheaper, but the stay would count toward various current promos. In the end, I didn't save much money.

We arrived past midnight, so the hotel shuttle was not running, and taxis were charging 2x the day rate. Our taxi fare for the 10 minute ride was 30 euros. The meter charge was 20 euros plus 4 euros for leaving from the airport, plus 4 euros for suitcases, plus 2 euros for the highway toll. Fortunately, we were able to use the van to return to the airport.

Our room was fine. We were given two single beds, though we had booked a king. At that time of night, coming off a long international flight, I didn't care. I just wanted to sleep. We were given a code for free wired internet. There was a hot water pot in the room for tea or coffee. There is wireless internet in the lobby, but you need to pay for that. There is also a computer room with 2 computers for public use.

By the time I paid for the room plus the taxi, I spent 160 euros or $213. For that price, I should have paid the delta to stay at the Sofitel. What comforts me is 1 stay toward the various current promos.
Thanks for the update as I was wondering about this hotel - the really bad part is the pointslut in me going "off course its worth a ride in the middle of the night to not go to that much cheaper hotel for stay credit" - just cant tell my wife LOL
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Though this is replying to an ancient post (maybe appropriate for Athens!), a useful e-mail address for the hotel is [email protected]; I know the Reservations Manager uses it. (Staying night of October 14, 2011 en route to Pireas / Piraeus cruise port the next day.)
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
...and, here we are. The hotel is NOT near the airport - it is near exit #17, 13.4 kn / 8.33 miles from Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport, not near much other than an Ericsson office. The van is a green van clearly marked Holiday Inn, but we waited 40 minutes for it - and between 10 PM and 5 AM you are at the mercy of taxi cabs and pirate cabs.

Checkin was passport and credit card, with problems because I used another credit card than the one I booked with. Nonetheless, we got a 6th (top) floor Executive Floor room, moderately spacious by European standards, looking garishly designed by someone who had visions of 1930s and 1950s luxury - marble patterned wallpaper, lots of faux birds-eye maple everywhere, gold frames with pseudo-Greco classic "art", knobbly grey carpet, awning colored striped curtains (operated by switches near the bed), a tiny CRT television, lots of counter and drawer space, a small arm chair and task chair with lots of lights and electric outlets. The nonsmoking room smelled of old cigarettes smoked in defiance of the ashtray with the nonsmoking sign baked into it, and the linens smelled of storage in a smoked-in storage facility. Bleagh! The bed was comfortable, with a duvet - and larger firmer pillows are wrapped with a satin band explaining these are "soft", and the soft pillows are unmarked. Lost of closet space, though with "built-in" hangers sufficient for an overnight or two.

The bath has a large tub-shower enclosure with a skimpy curtain, and the bathroom itself is a bit in need of deep cleaning - brown grout does not hide the grunge, nor the short, curly hairs I found in the sink. There is a bidet, toilet, illuminated vanity mirror, skimpy set of amenities, and skimpy towels (no washcloth). There was a telephone, but it no longer has a wire.

Essentially, this is a hotel used by airlines for irregular operations, tour groups departing for the US and a few others - it is busy, hardly anyone stays more than one night - and if you do, you will soon see why.

Breakfast was the usual eggs-bangers- beans-etc. and an excellent Greek breakfast with fruits, juices, really good breads, feta cheese, cold cuts, smoked fish, cucumbers and tasty tomatoes, etc. Fair coffee, tea.

For us, it was fine - we arrived hours late because of ATC worker slowdown and we avoided the massive land transport strike that had been called.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Never stayed at this property.

But considering the fact that HI is not so close to airport/there is no metro station next to it, CP Athens might be a smarter choice. Not a great propery but only 5 minutes walk to metro line to airport (very useful when not on strike /20 minutes taxi ride)
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
any recent stays????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.