FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/555698-ic-hong-kong-master-thread-closed-renovation-until-2022-a.html)

jpdx Aug 29, 2015 12:12 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 25342668)
Well we will each have a bag but we are only overnighting so I hope they can thru-check our bags.
Are taxis expensive to the ic hk?

To/from the airport about HKD250. For a group of four, a taxi will be cheaper than the airport express.

jason8612 Aug 29, 2015 7:39 am

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 25345571)
To/from the airport about HKD250. For a group of four, a taxi will be cheaper than the airport express.

Great to know. Is it quicker by taxi than the airport express?

Pseudo Nim Aug 29, 2015 8:05 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 25346416)

Yes, much. Airport Express brings you to Kowloon station, from which you still have to take a taxi (~35 HKD), or hotel shuttle bus. Direct taxi is significantly faster.

Concorde28 Aug 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 25346416)

Yes, it's quicker. The price ranges from 250 to 350 HKD including tip---depending on traffic.

Just make sure to take a red taxi. There is an English speaking attendant at the taxi queue to help you.

I will be there for a week starting this Thursday. Good luck with your trip.

Pseudo Nim Aug 30, 2015 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Concorde28 (Post 25353515)
Yes, it's quicker. The price ranges from 250 to 350 HKD including tip---depending on traffic.

Just make sure to take a red taxi. There is an English speaking attendant at the taxi queue to help you.

I will be there for a week starting this Thursday. Good luck with your trip.

Please remember that tipping is not needed in HKG taxis. Please do not propagate the tipping culture into the few places that still don't have it (not saying you're doing it, just a general comment).

Expect to round up the taxi fare, say from $246.60 to $247 or even $250, but there isn't a specific rule that you must follow, unlike the 10-15% rule in North America.

355F1 Aug 31, 2015 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 25353531)
Please remember that tipping is not needed in HKG taxis. Please do not propagate the tipping culture into the few places that still don't have it (not saying you're doing it, just a general comment).

Expect to round up the taxi fare, say from $246.60 to $247 or even $250, but there isn't a specific rule that you must follow, unlike the 10-15% rule in North America.

Do they take CCs?

Pseudo Nim Aug 31, 2015 6:01 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 25353767)
Do they take CCs?

They don't. However, if you have a Plus-system compatible bank card, there's a Bank of China ATM immediately on exit of the secure area where you can withdraw money without any surcharges (beyond whatever your bank charges you) - pretty good, as many airports try to sneak in a mandatory $2-5 fee just for the hell of it.

355F1 Sep 1, 2015 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 25354498)
They don't. However, if you have a Plus-system compatible bank card, there's a Bank of China ATM immediately on exit of the secure area where you can withdraw money without any surcharges (beyond whatever your bank charges you) - pretty good, as many airports try to sneak in a mandatory $2-5 fee just for the hell of it.

Excellent info. Thanks! ^^

Heading to HKG for the first time in three weeks! :D

mitpat474 Sep 1, 2015 2:57 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 25359565)

me too, 24th august

Pseudo Nim Sep 1, 2015 7:34 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 25359565)

For a second I read that as ... well, literally, "for the first time in three weeks", as in, you were there three weeks ago and you're treating each visit as a new experience :D

You'll love it. It's a great city, although sometimes it can be dirty, stinky and ... well, that's just how it is. Enjoy :)

supermintyfresh Sep 24, 2015 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Raynyan (Post 25271834)
If you are not RA, you should not expect upgrade on point stay.

Why can't you get an upgrade as a non-Royal Ambassador on a points stay? I thought all stays (points or paid) would get a guaranteed one category upgrade as an Ambassador? :confused:

Raynyan Sep 25, 2015 1:22 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh (Post 25475503)
Why can't you get an upgrade as a non-Royal Ambassador on a points stay? I thought all stays (points or paid) would get a guaranteed one category upgrade as an Ambassador? :confused:

You need to understand Rewards Club/Ambassador Terms and Conditions.
All additional benefit which are not mentioned on T&Cs are just a hotel's discretion. Point stays are not guaranteed upgrade.

supermintyfresh Sep 25, 2015 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Raynyan (Post 25475790)
You need to understand Rewards Club/Ambassador Terms and Conditions.
All additional benefit which are not mentioned on T&Cs are just a hotel's discretion. Point stays are not guaranteed upgrade.

I see now, thanks.

T&C from IHG website:
When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Privileges apply with the exception of upgrades.

This is very lame and no other hotel chain does this sort of differentiation AFAIK. Shame on IHG... :td:

However apparently a good chunk of IC's still honor all of the privileges on award nights -- is IC HK one of them?

Raynyan Sep 25, 2015 2:07 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh (Post 25475853)
However apparently a good chunk of IC's still honor all of the privileges on award nights -- is IC HK one of them?

For RA, Yes! Now they honor all of privileges on point stay. (Two years ago, they didn't)
For others, I'm not sure.

rbAA Sep 27, 2015 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 25353767)
Do they take CCs?

Another benefit of the AE is they do take CC's.