Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any luck with reward reservations for Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2004, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Any luck with reward reservations for Christmas?

Guys,
I've been a big fan of PC for a few years, but I just discovered something
scary. I've got many miles and am trying to book some vacation Dec25th-Jan2nd. There is NO hotel accepting reward reservation for that period. NONE. Nowhere. I tried Whistler, Utah, Colorado and Caribbean. No availability. It never happened before. I spent a great vacation in Whistler last year where it was a great deal to get free nights instead of paying $500/night. It clearly says - "no blackout dates". But it seams so. Any thoughts?
Old May 11, 2004, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Welcome to FlyerTalk Big_Foot!
I have never tried to book using Priority Club points during a major holiday, but perhaps others on the board have some experiences here?
Old May 12, 2004, 7:38 am
RCC

beleive it or not,......you have probably selected the most popular time...

Try to make a reservation (fake one) for PC points say nov 4, will work, dec 4, willl work, prime time dates....no way, gotta have that stuff booked like 1 year in advance.....I find I have to book NYC using PC points about 7-9 months in advance!

you can call the hotel & make a special request & see what they say, I got that to wrok for me once..

Ric
Old May 12, 2004, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

I understand...

Originally Posted by RCC
beleive it or not,......you have probably selected the most popular time...

Try to make a reservation (fake one) for PC points say nov 4, will work, dec 4, willl work, prime time dates....no way, gotta have that stuff booked like 1 year in advance.....I find I have to book NYC using PC points about 7-9 months in advance!

you can call the hotel & make a special request & see what they say, I got that to wrok for me once..

Ric
It's just strange NOTHING is available. If you find any hotel in the world
accepting award reservations for that period, let me know...
I think PC is getting worse, kind of like award travels using your miles, it's
almost impossible to book it.
Old May 17, 2004, 4:21 pm

Programs: Platinum IC, Platinum Delta
I booked room at London St. James for day after Xmas thru day after new years!
Booked room this past Xmas at IC-Central.

All using points!!
Old May 17, 2004, 8:02 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
It's just strange NOTHING is available. If you find any hotel in the world
accepting award reservations for that period, let me know...
I think PC is getting worse, kind of like award travels using your miles, it's
almost impossible to book it.

Well I think they know is peak times so they can charge a pretty penny for it....we have no way of checking if others have really booked using points....maybe this is their way of creating "black out dates"....

Just out out curiousity, I called PC desk on this & you are right nothing available for about 15 different locations throughout US nothing available.....what a shock.
Old May 17, 2004, 8:03 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by heimer13
I booked room at London St. James for day after Xmas thru day after new years!
Booked room this past Xmas at IC-Central.

All using points!!
you are a very lucky man.....
Old May 18, 2004, 3:13 pm

Programs: Nothing much anymore. Used to be annual 1K but ditched the work travel life. Still 1MM on UA.
Try Quebec!

If you find any hotel in the world accepting award reservations for that period, let me know...

I just booked some free nights in both Quebec City and Montreal from Dec. 27th through Jan. 2nd. Now whether you want to spend those dates in Quebec, where it's -20 degrees is another story, but it is definitely beautiful up there in the winter time.

Last year my wife and I decided at the last minute to spend New Years Eve in San Francisco, and on Dec. 30th I was able to get a room using points at one of the HI's for the night of the 31st. They even gave us the two free buffet breakfasts that they give to PC Plat members.

I think you just have to book certain locations very early for stays during peak times...or be very lucky.
Old May 18, 2004, 4:08 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by SMF UA 1K
I just booked some free nights in both Quebec City and Montreal from Dec. 27th through Jan. 2nd. Now whether you want to spend those dates in Quebec, where it's -20 degrees is another story, but it is definitely beautiful up there in the winter time.

Last year my wife and I decided at the last minute to spend New Years Eve in San Francisco, and on Dec. 30th I was able to get a room using points at one of the HI's for the night of the 31st. They even gave us the two free buffet breakfasts that they give to PC Plat members.

I think you just have to book certain locations very early for stays during peak times...or be very lucky.

SMF, you seem like a pretty lucky guy when it comes to making last min. reservations using points at prime times.....care to become a liason agent in assisting us?.....j/k
Old May 19, 2004, 11:54 am
Original Poster

So I guess it's just pure luck. I booked Aruba for Dec27th - Jan2nd
and I swear those were not available last time I checked.
Now: how to book award air tickets for that period
Old May 19, 2004, 3:39 pm
RCC

So I guess it's just pure luck. I booked Aruba for Dec27th - Jan2nd
and I swear those were not available last time I checked.
Now: how to book award air tickets for that period
congratz on the hotel booking.....as for the flight...good luck.....keep us posted on your results....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.