Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you get Platinum solely with an Amex pts transfer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Can you get Platinum solely with an Amex pts transfer?

Having just transferred a small number of Amex MR points to Priority Club, the website has reduced the 'points required for platinum' total displayed on screen.

What I'd like to know is - if I transfer enough Amex MR points across to PC to hit the 60,000 target, will I get upgraded to platinum?

I usually put my MR points to Starwood and then to British Airways, but I would be willing to forgo the SPG 25% mileage bonus and transfer them to BA via PC if it meant I could get PC Platinum on the way. This would allow me to increase my future PC earnings through the 50% base points bonus and benefit from room upgrades.

Last edited by RJB; Apr 16, 2004 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 16, 2004, 5:26 pm
RCC

RJB....the yearly quota amount to get or maintain plat. is 60K points annually. The 60K does NOT need to come from hotel stay strickly. IE transferring your Amex points over to PC will get you closer to Plat status and the 50% bonus. I get about 30-40K yearly from PC partners, Office Max, PC Visa & a few others!

Ric
Old Apr 17, 2004, 4:35 am

[QUOTE=RJB]What I'd like to know is - if I transfer enough Amex MR points across to PC to hit the 60,000 target, will I get upgraded to platinum?

QUOTE]

Yep... I believe so
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:21 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
What is the transfer rate from AP Rewards to PC? I assume it is not as good as 1:1?
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:35 am
Patron

For US AMEX-card holders: 1.000 MR points = 1.000 PC points.

Old Apr 17, 2004, 2:03 pm
RCC

Originally Posted by Patron
For US AMEX-card holders: 1.000 MR points = 1.000 PC points.
I was wondering what the ratio was, thanks for answering this question for me.

Consider this.....

1 Amex Rewards Point is worth 1 FF Mile in most to all airlines. 4 PC points are needed to make 1 FF mile. So I think this might be a bum deal. If you have 1,000 Amex Reward Points & transfer to say Delta, you get 1,000 Delta Skymiles, which has a par vaule.

I did some general calculations & made a post about it, take a look at how I
valued it all out,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133107

Ric
Old Apr 18, 2004, 4:45 am

1:1 in the US then... same in Europe?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This makes it very attractive and easy for USA-based PC members to achieve Plat status. In the rest of the world, we must do it the old fashioned way: staying at PC participating hotels. We don't have the PCVisa card, nor any of the corporate tie-ins, let alone the Amex MR transfer ability.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

..mis-posted thread..

Last edited by Shareholder; Apr 18, 2004 at 7:54 am Reason: mis-posted thread
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:17 am
Patron

Originally Posted by Gustaf
1:1 in the US then... same in Europe?
For Swedish AMEX Card Holders: 6 MR points = 1 PC point

Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
In the UK, 1 MR point = 2 PC points. You also cannot transfer MR points directly to British Airways, so you have to take a circuitous route such as SPG or PC.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Patron
For Swedish AMEX Card Holders: 6 MR points = 1 PC point
Thank you! How come I didn’t find this page when browsing the Swedish AMEX pages?

Not a great value for us here in Sweden then
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:15 am
Patron

I do not know, who many MR points you earn per one SEK you spend. So, be careful if you compare MR/PC exchange rates for different currencies!

Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:48 am

We earn 1 MR per 1 SEK spent. With todays USD rate it would be 7,6 MR points per 1 USD.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:03 pm

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
Question

Originally Posted by RJB
Having just transferred a small number of Amex MR points to Priority Club, the website has reduced the 'points required for platinum' total displayed on screen.

What I'd like to know is - if I transfer enough Amex MR points across to PC to hit the 60,000 target, will I get upgraded to platinum?

I usually put my MR points to Starwood and then to British Airways, but I would be willing to forgo the SPG 25% mileage bonus and transfer them to BA via PC if it meant I could get PC Platinum on the way. This would allow me to increase my future PC earnings through the 50% base points bonus and benefit from room upgrades.
I Haven't looked at it, but is there anything keeping you from transferring IN the 60K MR points (or portion thereof) and them transferring them back to MR so you can go through SPG? Is there any reduction in value PC=>MR sing MR=>PC is 1:1...??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.