Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closed Account

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Finkface
Did you sign up for (or try to sign up for) any offers you weren’t targeted for? I remember a few years ago, they were aggressively shutting accounts down for this but I know they fixed their systems to prevent anyone from doing this so I doubt this is the problem. It was just a thought. i found an old thread about it and it doesn’t seem to apply but just in case.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ion-codes.html
No all offers I signed up were checked against my account I think. I saw a blogger talk about this or the other offer ( and I'm sure they wouldn't post illegal links) clicked on the links and IHG always seemed to have checked if I was targeted as sometimes I was not elligible or did already sign up
The only time that might have not been the case was 2-4 years back when ANA <> IHG offered status match so I followed the ANA link and applied for a match that was given to me later (think it was ANA Platinum). But when I follow a link, log in and the offer is there doesn't it indicate I'm targeted? They know by that point who I am.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
If I were in your shoes, I'd try calling the Corporate Office. Over the years, I've had two major issues with companies where I felt my issues were being ignored by the "regular" customer service folks. In one case, the company (Toshiba) did nothing. But in the other case, the Office of the CEO of AT&T fixed my issue.

It may not work, but it's probably worth a try. I'm certain that the people at the Corporate Office would be able to contact the fraud team, which isn't something the "regular" customer service people would be able to accomplish.

https://www.ihgplc.com/en/contact-us...l-headquarters

Be careful not to mention lawyers. Once you do that, you'll almost certainly get stonewalled.
The emails I get are from "executive Liaison" with a corporateliaison@ihg email
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:54 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
If I were in your shoes, I'd try calling the Corporate Office. Over the years, I've had two major issues with companies where I felt my issues were being ignored by the "regular" customer service folks. In one case, the company (Toshiba) did nothing. But in the other case, the Office of the CEO of AT&T fixed my issue.

It may not work, but it's probably worth a try. I'm certain that the people at the Corporate Office would be able to contact the fraud team, which isn't something the "regular" customer service people would be able to accomplish.

https://www.ihgplc.com/en/contact-us...l-headquarters

Be careful not to mention lawyers. Once you do that, you'll almost certainly get stonewalled.
I second this approach

Originally Posted by blitzen
The emails I get are from "executive Liaison" with a corporateliaison@ihg email
Do not do e-Mails. Send a formal letter by either Telefax or better register letter, so that they cannot ignore it and you have proof that the get it. Write it in Business style, highlighting that you are not aware of any activity under the t&c paragraph mentioned by them. Mention that you consider involving a lawyer if they to not explain to you. They take you the right to explain a situation, because they do not explain to you that and why the did what the did.

Like writerguyfly, I had to go this way a few times. I had to send one letter by UPS to the C-Level office responsible for the department who acted very selfish and ignored several Faxes.

Another way would be to demand information about all data and information stored by IHG about you due to data protection issues. Simply, because you have to consider a hacked account yourself, as they do not give you and kind of information. GDPR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ion_Regulation) would - I assume - be a legal base to demand this information from a company like IHG as a US citizen. IHG is a plc based in the UK https://www.ihgplc.com/en/contact-us...l-headquarters.
Happy and writerguyfl like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No all offers I signed up were checked against my account I think. I saw a blogger talk about this or the other offer ( and I'm sure they wouldn't post illegal links) clicked on the links and IHG always seemed to have checked if I was targeted as sometimes I was not elligible or did already sign up.
That would seem likely to be the issue - it would seem that you have been applying for bonuses for which you were never targetted. Just becuase an offer detail is posted online on a random site, does not mean that you are entitled to it

If you applied for targetted promotions for which you did not get the offer sent directly to you, then you have indeed made yourself a target for having the account cancelled
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I second this approach

Do not do e-Mails. Send a formal letter by either Telefax or better register letter, so that they cannot ignore it and you have proof that the get it. Write it in Business style, highlighting that you are not aware of any activity under the t&c paragraph mentioned by them. Mention that you consider involving a lawyer if they to not explain to you. They take you the right to explain a situation, because they do not explain to you that and why the did what the did.

Like writerguyfly, I had to go this way a few times. I had to send one letter by UPS to the C-Level office responsible for the department who acted very selfish and ignored several Faxes.

Another way would be to demand information about all data and information stored by IHG about you due to data protection issues. Simply, because you have to consider a hacked account yourself, as they do not give you and kind of information. GDPR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ion_Regulation) would - I assume - be a legal base to demand this information from a company like IHG as a US citizen. IHG is a plc based in the UK https://www.ihgplc.com/en/contact-us...l-headquarters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That would seem likely to be the issue - it would seem that you have been applying for bonuses for which you were never targetted. Just becuase an offer detail is posted online on a random site, does not mean that you are entitled to it

If you applied for targetted promotions for which you did not get the offer sent directly to you, then you have indeed made yourself a target for having the account cancelled
wild speculation on your end. Most offers were open and not targeted and one can not sign up for not targeted offers in my experience.
i know most promos were open (not sure about all of them). But it is not as if I changed links or changed data or similar. Loyaltylobby (or a similar outfit) would post a promo and I would not think he peddles not legit links .... and most promos were not used anyway. What was the name of the one that pops up every quarter. Think I got an additional 10k points over the last few years or so.
even if somehow one link was not targeted they a) knew it as I had to sign into my account to sign up and b) I didn’t use it so no negative material effect and c) wasn’t it mentioned that one can not sign up for non targeted offers anymore anyway?

Last edited by blitzen; Apr 18, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:55 pm

wild speculation on your end.
Every one of us that responded are speculating. First, you didn't really provide much in the way of details. Second, none of us have access to the IHG systems.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:38 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

wild speculation on your end. ...
As you quote me, I would like to highlight, that my post was not meant as speculation but as advice how to proceed on oyur side... Of course you are free to take this advice or leave it, The decision is up to you.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In my many years on FT I have learned that somethings are a constant. One of them is this:

When someone complains that they were wronged by corporate security closing their accounts because they did nothing against the T&Cs, it typically emerges many posts later that that was not actually the case. There is almost always a smoking gun, which is either initially dismissed or greatly understated. FT then picks at the thread and the sweater unravels. I’m not victim shaming, but the ration of innocent to guilty (not including hacked accounts) is something like 1 to 100.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

wild speculation on your end. Most offers were open and not targeted and one can not sign up for not targeted offers in my experience.
i know most promos were open (not sure about all of them). But it is not as if I changed links or changed data or similar. Loyaltylobby (or a similar outfit) would post a promo and I would not think he peddles not legit links .... and most promos were not used anyway. What was the name of the one that pops up every quarter. Think I got an additional 10k points over the last few years or so.
even if somehow one link was not targeted they a) knew it as I had to sign into my account to sign up and b) I didn’t use it so no negative material effect and c) wasn’t it mentioned that one can not sign up for non targeted offers anymore anyway?
If you applied for any that you were not entitled to then you would be in breach of the terms. I would definitely not be assuming that only publc codes were published on internet pages - I would not be at all surprised if targetted codes were being published. That they were targetted does not mean that the IHG site will refuse to accept the code; I was not aware that IHG had changed the system to validate all codes

It is hardly wild speculation - just an inferrence of what might be the cause based on the information provided
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
In my many years on FT I have learned that somethings are a constant. One of them is this:

When someone complains that they were wronged by corporate security closing their accounts because they did nothing against the T&Cs, it typically emerges many posts later that that was not actually the case. There is almost always a smoking gun, which is either initially dismissed or greatly understated. FT then picks at the thread and the sweater unravels. I’m not victim shaming, but the ration of innocent to guilty (not including hacked accounts) is something like 1 to 100.
While I generally agree the start of the post was:
What can I do? Whom can I contact to get more info?
Not:
Hi everyone let's speculate what I did.

As I can't tell you what they think I've done in the last year or two (totally unsure about anything further back as I have many FF accounts and things blend in my memory). So if I did something it was something I don't know. Otherwise it might be hacking or a mistake of some sort. But as said I don't know and no one here knows .... that is why I need to find out form IHG.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's the internet. You can't control what people post. You just have to roll with the punches I'm afraid.

I remember a post a couple of years ago where a poster on the UK Board said something like "Don't judge me" in a thread the started about buyign a car so of course they got judged - mainly because what they wanted to do was spectacularly stupid - something like take £20,000 in cash to meet someone in a remove village to buy a car ...

You've been given good advice on what to do - send a proper letter to IAG HQ etc etc That's probbaly the best advice you wlll get from anyone. Even if you consulted a laeyer that's likely to be the advice they would give too.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It's the internet. You can't control what people post. You just have to roll with the punches I'm afraid.

I remember a post a couple of years ago where a poster on the UK Board said something like "Don't judge me" in a thread the started about buyign a car so of course they got judged - mainly because what they wanted to do was spectacularly stupid - something like take £20,000 in cash to meet someone in a remove village to buy a car ...

You've been given good advice on what to do - send a proper letter to IAG HQ etc etc That's probbaly the best advice you wlll get from anyone. Even if you consulted a laeyer that's likely to be the advice they would give too.
yes I am grateful for the advise the posters provided. Just wanted to stop this going down the way of pages of pages of speculation.....
will update when/if I hear back from IHG
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that if OP relied on any link which was not intended for his use, whoever posted it and wherever he found it, that incident is more than sufficient for IHG to do what it has done. IHG does not particularly care where OP found the link or what OP thought when he clicked. Rather, corporate security is charged with mitigating the damage caused by fraud and that is what it does.

All the suggestions about who to write to and how to do it, are not particularly useful until OP has done his own homework and assured that he himself did not -- whether maliciously or out of ignorance -- click through to where he did not belong. If he can be certain, then proceeding is the way to go. If he is not, the corporate security people to whom his email, letter or whatever he transmits will be referred, will see in an instant the material which led to their action and disregard assertions of innocence.

For what it is worth, sending registered letters, using couriers and the like, will simply result in delay. Those materials are all scanned into the CRM database which handles emails just the same. That is especially true during the Covid-19 emergency.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
.. Rather, corporate security is charged with mitigating the damage caused by fraud and that is what it does.
unilateral i do as i please with corporate security serving as sheriff judge and executioner should not be allowed to become an accepted practice..

this is not wild wild west and our taxpayer money is currently used to bail out those organizations..
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that if OP relied on any link which was not intended for his use, whoever posted it and wherever he found it, that incident is more than sufficient for IHG to do what it has done. IHG does not particularly care where OP found the link or what OP thought when he clicked. Rather, corporate security is charged with mitigating the damage caused by fraud and that is what it does.

All the suggestions about who to write to and how to do it, are not particularly useful until OP has done his own homework and assured that he himself did not -- whether maliciously or out of ignorance -- click through to where he did not belong. If he can be certain, then proceeding is the way to go. If he is not, the corporate security people to whom his email, letter or whatever he transmits will be referred, will see in an instant the material which led to their action and disregard assertions of innocence.

For what it is worth, sending registered letters, using couriers and the like, will simply result in delay. Those materials are all scanned into the CRM database which handles emails just the same. That is especially true during the Covid-19 emergency.
And bottom line is "IF" which you assume to be true. Tell me which links you clicked on for one specific account in the last year ..... who remembers thinks like this?
Why is only "clicked on a link" on your mind. The last round of shutdowns were several years ago ...... read Article 7 and you will find out it mentions each and every action you can imagine as it is very unspecific and includes "failure to maintain contact information"
BTW "damage caused by fraud" .... if I inadvertently signed up for an offer but didn't use it where is the damage?

Last edited by blitzen; Apr 19, 2020 at 11:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.